41 replies to this topic

#1 texsportpub

texsportpub

Bronze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

Does anyone here remember the National Olympic Festival (1978-1985) and the US Olympic Festival (1986-1995)? They were a great off-Olympic year event and did give a great many Olympic level athletics a jump on their Olympic careers.

Please post if you attended any of them and what your feeling about them were.

I attended every Festival from 1985 until 1995.

1978: Colorado Springs, CO
1979: Colorado Springs, CO
1981: Syracuse, N.Y
1982: Indianapolis, IN
1983: Colorado Springs, CO
1985: Baton Rouge, LA
1986: Houston, TX
1987: Releigh-Durham, NC
1989: Okalhoma City-Norman, OK
1990: Minneapolis, MN
1991: Loa Angeles, CA
1993: San Antonio, TX
1994: St. Louis, MO
1995: Denver-Colorado Springs, CO

#2 BTHarner

BTHarner

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:Olympics, World Cup

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

I never attended one, but I do remember them well. It's a shame they discontinued the event.

#3 texsportpub

texsportpub

Bronze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:48 PM

Yes, they were great events. They were like Mini-Olympics and had the small time feel of an Olympics. My wife, daughter, and I were very disappointed when they were cancelled. They were supposed to be replaced with the US Olympic Cup, but it never materialized the way they were envisioned.

I got that information from Bill Hybl when he was President of the USOC.

#4 Guardian

Guardian

Torch Bearer (Over 20,000 Posts)

• Premium Members
  • 22895 posts
  • Interests:The Olympic Games (summer and winter) and related International Games!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:07 AM

Well, when a nation, like America, is the powerhouse of the Olympiad, I think the upcoming American Olympians have enough things to worry about as it is. However, it was a great idea for the USOC to have these national Games, like the way Canada does with its Canada Games.

#5 texsportpub

texsportpub

Bronze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

Well, when a nation, like America, is the powerhouse of the Olympiad, I think the upcoming American Olympians have enough things to worry about as it is. However, it was a great idea for the USOC to have these national Games, like the way Canada does with its Canada Games.

Guardian: yes, I agree. The USOC has agreat deal to deal with. However they should try to support more of these type of events. With corporate money out there, even having a small version of these Games every year could keep their Olympic athletes in the public eye more often than every foru years.

#6 scottthomas

scottthomas

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

I was chose to compete in the 1983 National Sports Festival in Colorado Springs as a roller speed skater after a strong showing at the 1982 indoor national speed skating championships. It was definitely one of the highlights of my competitive career.

Scott Thomas
tsthomas318@yahoo.com

#7 pinfvr

pinfvr

Participant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

My husband and I went to the 1991 US Olympic Festival in Los Angeles. It was great!!! My husband worked for Panasonic and we got tickets to lots of events and the Opening Ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. I even got to participate in the Torch Relay in Laguna Beach. I was sad that they didn't continue the Olympic Festival.

#8 Tunku Rols

Tunku Rols

Yang di-Pertuan Agong

• Moderators
  • 21058 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

My husband and I went to the 1991 US Olympic Festival in Los Angeles. It was great!!! My husband worked for Panasonic and we got tickets to lots of events and the Opening Ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. I even got to participate in the Torch Relay in Laguna Beach. I was sad that they didn't continue the Olympic Festival.

Welcome pinfvr! Nice to have another woman join up.

c4c9c1.jpg

#9 kcblue17

kcblue17

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Yes, I remember. I was at the very first NSF in Colorado Springs in 1978 as a member of the West's Softball Team (we took the Bronze). It was a great experience. I thought that I was at the Olympic's with the torch being ran down from Pike's Peak, the accomodations, and the overall treatment of the athletes. Lucky me, I have the Sport Illustrated edition that talks about this festival, and I'm in it!!!! :P

#10 olympian

olympian

Flag Bearer Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Interests:MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, Geography, Olympics, Cooking

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Michelle Kwan won the gold medal in figure skating in 1993 in San Antonio.

Ask not alone for Victory

Ask for Courage

For if you can Endure

You bring Honour to Yourself. E

ven more, You bring Honour to us All.

- Bud Greenspan

megan-young-wins-miss-world.jpg

Megan Young's winning moment, Miss World 2013 from the Philippines

Credits to the Associated Press via Philippine Daily Inquirer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users