77 replies to this topic

#1 ioanniskgr

ioanniskgr

Bronze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:17 PM

For me it was the Atlanta olympic games because they didn;t have good stadiums,the transport system was not very good,the opening ceremony except for the lighting of the torc was not good and it was a little bid like an american movie and of course the security was very low and that's why the terrorist explosion in the park.Whic city do u think organized the worst olympics of the past 50 years?

#2 Olympic USA

Olympic USA

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3380 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

Oh great...another "let's bash Atlanta" thread... :rolleyes:

Just what I was thinking Kendegra  :rolleyes:
Adam

#3 Olympic USA

Olympic USA

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3380 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:22 PM

This topic has been discussed before many times.  However I certainly don't disagree with your comments about Atlanta.  

As for the worst Olympics ever,  I honestly can't judge them.  I haven't been to all of them,  have you?  ???

Adam

#4 thatsnotmypuppy

thatsnotmypuppy

King Of The Taco!

• Premium Members
  • 8545 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:19 PM

There has been talk of moving the Big Hat to Hiroshima - but I haven't heard any other news since the idea was first floated.

There is no use for the Big Hat, White Ring and M Wave to all be in Nagano.  This is a city of just under 400,000.  In central Japan.  Really bad place for a Games.

I am also pretty certain that the bullet train services have been reduced to Nagano??

#5 LA84

LA84

Flag Bearer Level 4

• Premium Members
  • 4700 posts
  • Interests:Mustangs, T-Birds and of course, The Olympics!

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

Never mind -

Posted Image

"Don’t pay any attention to the nonsensical claims of that windy city. Its people could not build a World’s Fair even if they won it."

Posted Image

#6 thatsnotmypuppy

thatsnotmypuppy

King Of The Taco!

• Premium Members
  • 8545 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:51 PM

Depends on your criteria.  I enjoyed Atlanta, but the crowds seemed dissinterested at Nagano - and thus I left Nagano thinking they were a bad host - not as far as organising the Games - but in the lack of local interest.

A city shouldn't bid for a Games if the residents don't want them.

#7 LA84

LA84

Flag Bearer Level 4

• Premium Members
  • 4700 posts
  • Interests:Mustangs, T-Birds and of course, The Olympics!

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:32 AM

What is the big hat?  That thing Midori Ito wore when she lit the caldroun?  :upside:

Posted Image

"Don’t pay any attention to the nonsensical claims of that windy city. Its people could not build a World’s Fair even if they won it."

Posted Image

#8 SOlympiadsW

SOlympiadsW

Flag Bearer Level 4

• Premium Members
  • 4395 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

I never would have even answered this question except, as per usual on these boards  :rolleyes: it was another setup for Atlanta or to bash the U.S. - choose one.

What is this, like the 4-5th topic about "The Worst Games?"

And I am sorry - yes, perhaps it wasn't to everyones liking but Atlanta was a gamess that not only paid off themselves but also paid off the City of Atlanta's debt!

I'm sure Athens wishes they could say the same thing in about a year when the tax bills start rolling in.

There are many games that had problems including Melbourne to add to Mr. X's list.  

So, I finally decided to answer this question honestly and not be so nice on this topic. And if it gets brought up again, I will expound on my answers further.

I definately agree....

Posted Image
2008: An Olympic Year!

#9 JDPinstripes

JDPinstripes

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1185 posts
  • Interests:Well, the Olympics of course

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:37 AM

Well, as already agreed by the international media....Munich 1972 was the worst olympics followed by Atlanta 1996. They were singled out because they were the only games in which lives were taken. Atlanta was additionally horrid because of failures in the transportation system.....the communications system.........the logistics system........and a whole host of other bleeps and blunders. Very many people also agreed that Atlanta was simply too small to host those games. there was also bribbing involved for the 1996 bid.

That being said, the games distinguished themselves with incredible, phenominal performances.

WOAH WOAH WOAH Frenchie Lover #634

Last time I checked, there were MORE DEATHS building the facilities in Athens (At least 10) then during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. (1)

Comparing Athens to Atlanta
-It was Athens that needed the Cruise Ship Hotel Rooms
-It was Athens who presented a first week of empty venues
-It was Athens that has absolutely no idea about a long term plan for many of their venues, while many of Atlanta's still get used..and a lot(Olympic Stadium, Georgia Dome, Omni/Phillips Arena, Alexander Memorial, GT Aquatic Centre, etc.)
-It was Athens that finished in massive debt
-There were more doping cases in Athens, not to mention fan hostility, and obviously the shadow cast over the Opening Ceremony over that incident.

If there had been no terrorist attack, Athens and Atlanta would be in the same ballpark.

Then again, there were more deaths surrounding the Athens Games then the Atlanta Games. Of course, your hearing nothing about them from the Euro lovers, and Greek PR Departments on these boards.

Atlanta too small.....yea freaking right. That's why they've hosted just about everything.....Super Bowl's, National Convention's, Final Four's, World Series's, All Star Game's, etc.

P.S. Lillehammer was too small too...How did that work out for them.

The IOC immediately began worldwide legal processes to protect the mark...The copy received by GamesBids.com is a monochrome legal sketch and was obtained with information from a member of the GamesBids.com discussion forums known as JDPinstripes."

#10 Guardian

Guardian

Torch Bearer (Over 20,000 Posts)

• Premium Members
  • 22894 posts
  • Interests:The Olympic Games (summer and winter) and related International Games!

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:15 AM

Depends on your criteria.  I enjoyed Atlanta, but the crowds seemed dissinterested at Nagano - and thus I left Nagano thinking they were a bad host - not as far as organising the Games - but in the lack of local interest.

A city shouldn't bid for a Games if the residents don't want them.

Wasn't it because the Japanese were in a middle of a major deflation/recession of the national economy? It was rather amazing that it had lots of money to spend for the Winter Olympics in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users