Photo

Richmond Speed Skating Oval

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19798 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image

Richmond Oval
Distance from Vancouver Olympic Village: 15 km
Venue Capacity: 7,600
Elevation: Sea level
Events taking place at this venue: Speed Skating
- 10,000 m Men
- 1,000 m Men, Women
- 1,500 m Men, Women
- 3,000 m Women
- 5,000 m Men, Women
- 500 m Men, Women
- Team pursuit Men, Women

Venue Description
The Richmond Oval site is located on the banks of the Fraser River, 25 minutes southwest from downtown Vancouver’s Olympic Village. The site, in the northwest corner of Richmond, is across the river from Vancouver International Airport and near Richmond City Centre.

Construction Update
The Richmond Oval will be an outstanding theatre for sport with a new 400-metre track housed in a 33,750 square metre facility. Before and after the 2010 Winter Games, the multipurpose building will provide opportunities for summer and winter sports and other community uses. Key design elements include a state-of-the art ice plant with superior air quality and climate controls. Ancillary facilities and systems will include offices, timing and athlete monitoring equipment, as well as fitness and strength training areas. Construction began in September 2005 and the goal is to complete the new facility by August 2008 to allow for testing and operational setup well in advance of the 2010 Winter Games.

Post-Games Use
The new Richmond Oval provides the community with:
• International or NHL-size hockey and short track speed skating surfaces
• Major indoor sport field house
• High-performance training area
• Community wellness centre
• Fitness centre
• Meeting rooms and academic space
• Sports medicine and sciences
• Offices for sports associations
• Waterfront park

Lumber to cover speed skating oval
Posted Image

When construction of Richmond’s Olympic oval is finished in 2008, one million board feet of pine beetle lumber will cover the roof.

By Matthew Hoekstra
Staff Reporter
Jul 15 2006

Richmond will make the biggest statement of B.C.’s number one resource when the Winter Olympics come to town in 2010.

The provincial government will announce today it’s contributing $1.5 million toward the engineering and design of a wood roof for the Olympic oval.

Richmond’s $178-million oval budget included the cash needed for a steel roof. The province’s ante now gives the city what it really wanted for a community legacy facility.

“The wood design is not only unique, it is also preferable to steel in many ways, including superior acoustics and sustainability,” said Mayor Malcolm Brodie.

It will also be constructed of mostly pine beetle lumber, otherwise known as denim or blue jean wood for blue streaks left behind from the critters.

“There’s nothing structurally wrong with pine beetle kill wood. It’s just dead wood, which is what you use in any structure, it’s just that it’s been stained by the pine beetle infestation,” said city spokesperson Ted Townsend.

Approximately one million board feet of the lumber will cover the 6.5-acre oval roof. The roof surface will be covered by an additional 19,000 sheets of four-by-eight plywood.

The B.C. Canada House at the 2006 Torino Winter Games was also built with beetle-killed lodgepole pine, harvested from the interior of the province.

The roof will create a chance for Richmond to showcase B.C. wood and technology, as well as pine beetle wood—which the province has found some success in marketing.

“It will be seen worldwide during the Olympics and leading up to Olympics, and post-Games it will still be seen as an Olympic venue, so it’s going to be a very high profile facility,” said Townsend.

The oval’s roof will be a “one-of-a-kind wave design, featuring arched trusses and rafters and a curvature in the surface panels that will give the roof a rippled appearance,” according to the Ministry of Forests.

The Viking Ship in Norway, home of the long track speed skating events of the 1994 Lillehammer Games, also had a complete wood roof.

Norway engineers pioneered a new technology at the time to create the roof, and the country has had “huge success” in marketing that technology around the world, said Townsend.

Calgary’s oval is covered with a metal frame and pre-formed cement spans.

Richmond’s oval is scheduled to open in the summer of 2008 and will be home to long track speed skating competitions in 2010 and converted to a multi-sport and wellness facility post-Games.

The city continues to look for other grants and sponsorship opportunities to get additional materials or equipment that can be used for its oval facility while staying within its $178-million budget.

“Our budget is not based on getting more of those, but certainly where we can, if we can get them to either offset or even reduce the project costs, we are certainly pursing those sorts of options,” Townsend said.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Construction at the oval has now been underway for exactly one year. Layers of gravel (to absorb seismic shock and to prevent significant sinking of the facility) has been laid on the site and pilings are now being driven.
"I declare open the Games of Vancouver, Celebrating the XXI Olympic Winter Games"
- The Honourable Michaelle Jean, Governor General of Canada (Friday, February 12, 2010 at BC Place Stadium)

With Glowing Hearts
THE XXI OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES IN VANCOUVER, CANADA

#2 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Main Lobby
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"I declare open the Games of Vancouver, Celebrating the XXI Olympic Winter Games"
- The Honourable Michaelle Jean, Governor General of Canada (Friday, February 12, 2010 at BC Place Stadium)

With Glowing Hearts

#3 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

Posted Image

With Glowing Hearts

#4 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

Residential and office development adjacent to the speed skating oval:

Posted Image

With Glowing Hearts

#5 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

With Glowing Hearts

#6 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

A neat animation of the oval:
http://www.for.gov.b...6/oval/oval.avi

With Glowing Hearts

#7 deasine

deasine

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

I know it's only an animation clip but the flags are so funny. There is no wind and it some how stays. So unnatural!

Do you know if TransLink will offer direct bus shuttle from Lansdowne or Richmind-Brighhouse Station to the oval (I'm pretty sure they will though)
Clauf

#8 mr.x

mr.x

I Am Canadian!

• Members
  • 19798 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

^ it's three blocks away. however, i can see some sort of new bus service along Lansdowne Street, which will be extended down to the oval.

With Glowing Hearts

#9 deasine

deasine

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Richmond Oval construction on target for 2008 opening
November 17, 2006
Building construction was officially launched today for the Richmond Oval, home of the speed skating competition for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The City of Richmond was joined today by Paralympic medallist Shira Golden and Olympic speed skating hopeful Andrew Godbout, along with representatives from the Government of Canada, Province of British Columbia, Four Host First Nations and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) to mark the start of building construction.

“The Richmond Oval will be a world class facility and the premier legacy of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games,” said Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie. “We can’t wait to see to see Canada’s next Olympic champions step to the top of the podium in Richmond Oval and listen to O Canada while our flag flies high. We’re just as excited about the generations of Richmond residents who will come to the Oval to take advantage of its outstanding services for sports and wellness or to take part in the many community, cultural and special events that will be held here.”

The Governments of Canada and British Columbia have each committed $30 million toward construction of the Richmond Oval, as part of their overall commitment to the venues budget for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The City of Richmond is responsible for additional project funding. Total budget of the Oval and related projects, including the waterfront park and plaza and parking structure, is $178 million.

The Richmond Oval will be home of the long track speed skating venue for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, with a 400-metre track and seating for approximately 8,000 spectators. The Richmond Oval is expected to be home of up to 12 medal events in 2010, with a potential 36 medals to be awarded.

“The Richmond Oval will be a signature venue for the 2010 Winter Games and will serve as a stage for countless Olympic moments that will inspire the country and the world,” said VANOC Chief Executive Officer John Furlong. “We’re excited about today’s construction milestone and look forward to continued progress as we anticipate the arrival of Canadian athletes in 2008.”

During the next two years, more than 1.1 million cubic feet of concrete, 5.6 million kilograms of steel rebar and one million board feet of lumber will go into completing the mammoth 33,650 square metre Richmond Oval.

The Richmond Oval is on target for its scheduled opening in the fall of 2008. In addition, approximately 55 per cent of the construction trade tenders have now been awarded and the
project remains within its $178 million budget. Most of the remaining construction tenders will be awarded within the next month and current projections continue to indicate they will also fall within budget estimates.

Post-Games, the Oval will become BC’s premier multi-purpose sports, recreation and wellness facility. The project also includes the creation of a new international destination and meeting place. The Oval, along with an adjoining waterfront plaza and park, will be the centre piece of a major new City Centre community to be developed on 32 acres along the banks of the Fraser River.

VANOC is responsible for the planning, organizing, financing and staging of the XXI Olympic Winter Games and the X Paralympic Winter Games in 2010. The 2010 Olympic Winter Games will be staged in Vancouver and Whistler from February 12 to 28, 2010. Vancouver and Whistler will host the Paralympic Winter Games from March 12 to 21, 2010.

Ted Townsend
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
ttownsend@richmond.ca

Source: http://www.vancouver2010.com/

Clauf

#10 Guardian

Guardian

Torch Bearer (Over 20,000 Posts)

• Premium Members
  • 22898 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

My local CTV news network showed a clip about this venue. It is great overall. However, after the Olympics are over, the post-use of this facility will be just as mentioned in the first post of this topic.