[Insert your city's name here] 2022 Commonwealth Games

Alexjc

A new venue where?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who can step up urgently...Your suggestions? (at least until Mondayafternoon GMT)

• Liverpool
    • London
    • Gold Coast (Double hosting)
    • Australia other
    • Canada
    • New Zealand
    • Singapore
    • UK other
  2. 2. Should South Africa be suspended from next year's Commonwealth Games as punishment?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should Durban be allowed to "Pass" and host 2026?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I went to the Melbourne Games, and there was zero atmosphere (despite Melbourne doing an amazing job). Melbourne hosts big events all the time, and the Games just got swamped in a huge metropolis. Smaller cities embrace and celebrate and get swamped by the Games...

Zero atmosphere? Thats not how I remember it. 

I concede that the Commonwealth Games might not have had the same impact on Melbourne has it had on Manchester or Kuala Lumpur (e.g. very few capital works required), but for that March in 2006 the city was absolutely buzzing and everyone was enthusiastic about it - even non-ticket holders. It was a testament to a multi-sport event with much of the venues clustered around a downtown area - high intensity and very festive. 

Melbourne hosted the Commonwealth Games with a great deal of respect and gratitude. I think a lot of people got the wrong idea about the Games just due to the MCG's Titanic size - as if the event wasn't worthy of such grandeur. 

All that aside - I don't think Melbourne should make itself available for 2022. We have done our bit for the CwG, and its time for another city to step up (pref. a non-Australian city). 

I don't think right now it is about which cities are "better", but rather which city has the potential to grow or lift the relevant, profile and broadcasting appeal of the CWG.

I agree with the sentiment that the CWG are suited to smaller cities, and that the city and its scale lends itself to a festival of sorts, but surely London, Sydney, Melbourne hosting will be a real win for the CWG going forward?

6 hours ago, capetown2020 said:

I don't think right now it is about which cities are "better", but rather which city has the potential to grow or lift the relevant, profile and broadcasting appeal of the CWG.

I agree with the sentiment that the CWG are suited to smaller cities, and that the city and its scale lends itself to a festival of sorts, but surely London, Sydney, Melbourne hosting will be a real win for the CWG going forward?

I disagree with that notion, primarily because it has happened before, always runs the risk of cities trying to upscale what they actually need to host a Commonwealth Games and has the potential to lead to exactly the kind of position we find ourselves in now. Glasgow was a welcome exception to the trend.

Regarding the three questions posed at the beginning of this thread, I would rather the 2022 Games went to a non-recent hosting city and nation, but recognise that may not be possible. The CGF should also be prepared to consider more regionalised bids, certainly as a one-off and potentially more permanently if we are to avoid a situation like this happening again. All that said, the most persuasive alternative host to me, at this stage, is Birmingham. Most of the main venues are already in place and I think it would be big enough to cope, but small enough to make it the kind of festival the Commonwealths should be. Of its potential English opponents, London is too politically sensitive. Liverpool just doesn't seem ready unless it draws heavily on Manchester and Manchester hosted too recently. 

Rob has already summed up the answer to the question of suspending South Africa, so I won't dwell on it. But I don't think we should be too hasty on the idea of Durban being pushed back four years. There would need to be some significant guarantees behind it, and potentially threats of consequences if we find ourselves in a similar position again. But I see no harm in that door being left open at this stage.

• Like 1

why have the 2022 Comm games suddenly become more appealing to cities? less than 2 years ago Durban won it unopposed now we have a dozen cities willing to take over the hosing. I know Edmonton dropped out due to falling oil prices and falling economy but has that improved that much. 

It will be interesting to see how many of these potential host for 2022 go ahead and bid for 2026.

1 hour ago, Hobart said:

why have the 2022 Comm games suddenly become more appealing to cities? less than 2 years ago Durban won it unopposed now we have a dozen cities willing to take over the hosing.

The cities who've expressed interest are

- Liverpool
- Birmingham
- Manchester
- London
- Melbourne
- Adelaide
- Perth
- Sydney
- New Delhi
- Kuala Lumpur

Looking at that list it makes some sort of sense. Liverpool and Birmingham were already interested in the next edition, previous recent hosts wouldn't have bid originally but sense an opportunity to host again, the Aussie cities wouldn't have bid for the edition right after GC2018 but now sense they may have a chance.

Which just leaves London from that list. Obviously the city has pretty much everything ready and as the home city of the CGF might well be happy to stand in. It ought to be hugely profitable. However, Sadiq Kahn, our mayor, has said he's wary about the cost. Boris Johnson - when he was mayor - ruled London out when the original bidding process for this Games was taking place because of the huge security costs. I think when costs are mentioned with regard to London this is the figure that's worrying the city, not the cost of hosting any of the sports (which should be able to utilise existing venues).

As fun as a London CGs would be (and I'm sure I'd go on a ticket splurge like I did for the Olympics), I still think they're better suited to smaller cities. So I hope one of Birmingham or Liverpool can get a Games in the 2020s.

Edited by Rob.

Four Australian cities have expressed an interest in hosting the 2022 CWGs...

I have visited all four of them in my lifetime and can say can ALL can easily prepare to host the event on time. BUT would need to be told ASAP. 

It really would be easier to leave the games in Australia, however there would be a push for a one final home games for the Queen, if she is still going, in her 70th Jubilee... This is where England's cities may have the upper hand. 

7 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

It would be handy if all countries which have been invaded by the British were eligible to join the Commonwealth.

<_<Yeh...we could call them the Olympics...Oh wait.:huh:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Faster said:

I'm pretty sure Iraq is eligible.

so's Israel and Egypt...But you know, really?

Happy to have the UAE in the mix, but human rights issues would null entry criteria.

3 hours ago, arwebb said:

Interesting. Any indication of the likely support for it there? I'd wager they'd be a pretty formidable contender.

After speaking with the councilor bringing the motion up... he doesn't think it will pass.

Then again it literally just asks for staff to look into it ... so you never know.

Re: London vs the rest of the UK.   I think given the circumstances apart from a few officials in the cities themselves there wouldn't be much outcry if London hosted over Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool - financially it makes sense and actually putting the London venues to use once again for a major multi-sport event should quieten the complaints about the legacy.   My biggest complaint about the legacy has always been that hosting future multi-sport events wasn't really part of the plan.   I suspect to with bloody Brexit on the horizon the government would be keen to show we're welcoming the world and use the games to strengthen the links across the Commonwealth.

Obviously in terms of benefits to a city the likes of Liverpool and Birmingham would benefit much more from the exposure than London.  I quite like the idea of Liverpool hosting but practically in such a short time frame it doesn't seem viable.

Vote fails at Toronto city council. The mayor was among those voting against it.

Does not mean the bid is dead... It will now be sent to the economic development committee (which consists of 6 of the same councilors).

2 of them voted yes 2 of them voted no and were not there. I believe it takes just a majority vote to proceed there.

The next EDC meeting is next week Friday.

19 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Vote fails at Toronto city council. The mayor was among those voting against it.

Does not mean the bid is dead... It will now be sent to the economic development committee (which consists of 6 of the same councilors).

2 of them voted yes 2 of them voted no and were not there. I believe it takes just a majority vote to proceed there.

The next EDC meeting is next week Friday.

Yes, got to have a cooling period as sensible accounting checks the numbers...

The reality soon reveals its self. 

Also gives the likes of Toronto to "call the shots"  to the CGF...They can so easily negotiate for a paired down games.

1 hour ago, Alexjc said:

Yes, got to have a cooling period as sensible accounting checks the numbers...

The reality soon reveals its self. 

Also gives the likes of Toronto to "call the shots"  to the CGF...They can so easily negotiate for a paired down games.

It was a rejection to look at the 'numbers' 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a final year university student studying at Sheffield Hallam University and I am currently completing my dissertation on the London 2012 Olympic Legacy. I am collecting opinions and data on the subject and would really appreciate any feedback on the topic. Below is the link if anybody would be interested in completing the survey and helping me with my research project.

https://surveyhero.com/c/f700ab8 

Thank you in advance. 

On 20/03/2017 at 0:37 AM, arwebb said:

I disagree with that notion, primarily because it has happened before, always runs the risk of cities trying to upscale what they actually need to host a Commonwealth Games and has the potential to lead to exactly the kind of position we find ourselves in now. Glasgow was a welcome exception to the trend.

Regarding the three questions posed at the beginning of this thread, I would rather the 2022 Games went to a non-recent hosting city and nation, but recognise that may not be possible. The CGF should also be prepared to consider more regionalised bids, certainly as a one-off and potentially more permanently if we are to avoid a situation like this happening again. All that said, the most persuasive alternative host to me, at this stage, is Birmingham. Most of the main venues are already in place and I think it would be big enough to cope, but small enough to make it the kind of festival the Commonwealths should be. Of its potential English opponents, London is too politically sensitive. Liverpool just doesn't seem ready unless it draws heavily on Manchester and Manchester hosted too recently. 

Rob has already summed up the answer to the question of suspending South Africa, so I won't dwell on it. But I don't think we should be too hasty on the idea of Durban being pushed back four years. There would need to be some significant guarantees behind it, and potentially threats of consequences if we find ourselves in a similar position again. But I see no harm in that door being left open at this stage.

Agree to disagree :)

For the sake of the CWG Federation, I think the future is in indeed what you say, smaller, regionalised, cost-effective but for 2022, the win will be to recover, lift the profile, make it relevant.

London, and then after that Sydney, Melbourne would be a big win for 2022. This does not suggest that the future is in "big-city" hosts. 

Who needs another Oz city to bid, when the bush now wants in on the action?

Regional Victoria prepares bid to host 2030 Commonwealth Games

Eleven regional Victorian towns, including Shepparton, Geelong and Ballarat, have come together to launch a campaign to host the Commonwealth Games in 2030.

The City of Greater Shepparton is leading a taskforce to put the case to the Victorian Government for a feasibility study on staging the events in the Greater Shepparton region, Wodonga, Bendigo, Ballarat, Warrnambool, and Traralgon.

The group said it had already approached the Victorian Premier and Sports Minister, as well as their federal counterparts.

They have also asked to meet with the CEO of the Commonwealth Games Association Craig Phillips.

Taskforce member Mitch Catlin said it had similarities to England's proposal to hold the 2022 Commonwealth Games across multiple cities to spread the cost and to utilise existing sports infrastructure.

"The experience and the model is now there to look at spreading the load, because there are fewer and fewer places that are able to hold these events because of the cost required and the infrastructure needed," Mr Catlin said.

The plan would require significant federal and state funding.

Acting Victorian Sports Minister Luke Donnellan said it was an "interesting and positive" plan, which the Government would consider.

"A bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games wouldn't be required to be put in for four years, so there's a good period of time to work through obstacles to overcome and to actually see how viable it is and what benefits it would bring to Victoria," Mr Donnellan said.

But he said hosting the large number of international athletes and tourists would be a challenge.

"It'd be basic infrastructure more than anything else, because it's not often you've got to have a large group of people in on particular town — you know, maybe 20,000 people, all at once, it's not easy to accommodate," he said.

"They're the types of things we'd have to work through to make sure the experience people have is a good one."

ABC News

They even have a logo

8441642-3x2-340x227.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols