Sapporo 2017 Asian Winter Games

thatsnotmypuppy

So the next major inter-sport event is just a few short months away in the winter wonderland of Sapporo.

I'll be heading north for my first ever Asian Winter Games experience and with tickets for most sports going on sale this morning (and they are pretty cheap) it's going to be a fun week.

The opening ceremony is on Feb 19 at the Sapporo Dome and the event pretty much mirrors the Winter Olympics sports wise.  I'll be checking out some Short Track, Figure Skating, Ice Hockey, Ski Jumping and the Opening Ceremony.  It'll be a pretty good indicator on how strong the Japanese/Chinese/South Korean teams will be at PC18 - I'm especially expecting the Short Track to be fiercely contested.

I'm also hoping for a ridiculous Ice Hockey match like Turkmenistan VS Qatar...

Anyone else heading North for these Games?  Maybe tacking on some skiing in Niseko?

• Like 2

I may post a picture or two.  

I am sincerly hoping the Biathlon comes down to a head to head race for the line between Haseem Pinaranahamerajan of Sri Lanka and his lifelong Uzbeki rival Gangangangulay Berishinikovadagabi...

Such a shame that Luge is not part of the Asian Games - the North Korea and Bhutan pairs are just tearing up the tracks this season!

• 2 weeks later...

Athletes from Oceania set to be invited to participate as guests at Asian Winter Games

A proposal has been made to allow athletes from Oceania to compete at next year's Asian Winter Games in Sapporo under the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) flag.

Under current plans, Oceanic athletes would compete unofficially in individual events only.

They would not be able to win medals and would not participate under their own flag.

But the plan, which is still subject to official confirmation, has been introduced to "exchange technical experience" because they do not have a winter event of their own to participate in. 

A request has already been made by the OCA to Sapporo organisers - with no reply yet received.

In reality, the plan would mainly involve Australian athletes, but all 18 Oceania National Olympic Committees would be eligible.

"The Asian Winter Games have become a very high level competition with over 30 National Olympic Committees taking part," said OCA President Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah at today's meeting.

"Oceania is a neighbouring Confederation for Asia and we welcome not only Australia but all Oceania to take the opportunity to enter for the first time, as a guest but with no medals. 

"We will evaluate the situation after that."

The Asian Winter Games are scheduled to take place from February 19 to 26 next year.

Australia claimed three Olympic medals at Sochi 2014. 

Torah Bright claimed silver in women's halfpipe snowboarding, while there was a second silver for David Morris and bronze for Lydia Lassila in the men's and women's aerials events.

Oceanic nations are due to have full participation under their own flags at next year's Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Ashgabat.

OCA President Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah had previously raised the possibility of them one day participating at the full Asian Games.

Australia is already a member of the Asian Football Confederation and competes in the World Cup qualifying tournament in that region. 

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1041974/athletes-from-oceania-set-to-be-invited-to-participate-as-guests-at-asian-winter-games

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 0:38 AM, krow said:

gee, thanks for the empty gesture.

what happens if an australian wins? the second place finisher -- the loser -- gets the gold medal?

perhaps, they can apply to be full member of OCA so they can have full entitlement to win medals.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

medal   6701.JPG

The 8th Sapporo Asian Winter Games Organising Committee (SAWGOC) is delighted to announce the design of victory medals for the 2017 Sapporo Asian Winter Games. Medals were designed by Mr. Kaoru Kasai, born in Sapporo and one of Japan’s leading art directors, and Mr. Tomohiro Nakayama, a designer at SUN-AD where Mr. Kasai serves as a consultant. Athletes will perform to the best of their abilities aiming for the medals.

1. Size: 55.0mm in diameter

2. Thickness: 4.5mm

3. Materials
Gold Medal: Gold-plated silver, 109.1 grams
Silver Medal: Silver, 107.1grams
Bronze Medal: Bronze, 87.9grams

4. Design concept
Three stars are curved on the diamond-cut surface which looks like an ice.
Three stars represent athletes as “Stars of Hope” shining in their own styles.
The Stars of Hope may be a new star who will shine at the Sapporo Asian Winter Games.
The diamond-cut surface also represents clear air of winter, sparkling snow and ice in Hokkaido.

source: https://sapporo2017.org/site/news-en/1221.html  

• 3 weeks later...

Asian Winter Games athletes to stay in embattled Apa chain’s Sapporo hotel

SAPPORO – The organizer of the Asian Winter Games in Japan next month said Thursday it will use as one of the athletes’ dormitories a hotel whose operator is facing criticism from China for putting in its rooms a book denying the occurrence of the 1937 Nanjing Massacre.

According to the organizer of the 2017 Sapporo Asian Winter Games, athletes are to stay at an Apa hotel in Sapporo, Hokkaido, where the event involving participants from about 30 countries and regions will be held.

An Apa group official said, “We find no fault in the contents of the book and we have no intention of removing it even if we are asked to do so.” But the official added that the group is considering removing the book from the room when requested by a guest.

The book, which is written in both Japanese and English, is a compilation of essays written by Apa Chief Executive Toshio Motoya. Motoya writes that it is clear that the Nanjing Massacre, which China claims resulted in the deaths of more than 300,000 people, was made up by the Chinese side and never happened.

An official of the organizer said it made no specific requests to the hotel in Sapporo, but noted, “We ask for those hotels serving as the athlete’s village not to encourage prejudice and discrimination based on the philosophy of sports.”

Sad that almost a century has passed and this Nanjing thing is still causing lots of drama between the two. Which reminds me the relations between Korea and Japan are also far from perfect. Hope we don't see similar drama in 2018 about similar issues.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:02 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Sad that almost a century has passed and this Nanjing thing is still causing lots of drama between the two. Which reminds me the relations between Korea and Japan are also far from perfect. Hope we don't see similar drama in 2018 about similar issues.

Looks like it has already started: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2017/01/518_222483.html

Yup. I posted that on a thread yesterday. Though tbh the dispute over Dokdo has been happening since forever. I'm sure it will eventually calm down.

To be honest, while  is true Japan refuses sometimes to aknowledge some of the WWII/colonialism past atrocities, Korea/China are also too stubborn sometimes to move on about the issue and often do stuff like this to provoke Japan (they recently unveiled a statue conmemorating the Confort Women issue, in front of the Japanese embassy, no less)

• Like 1