...and then it is over

Thanks for sharing your impressions of Rio 2016 (and everything that led up to it) with us - I'm glad you got to enjoy this unique event up-close and am sure that I speak for many when I say that I wish you and your family very well!!

2 hours ago, Rominger said:

it was one heck of event. It is strange that, if Rio wasn´t selected as a host of the event, I would be OK with that, although I would always imagine how would it be. I don´t need to do this anymore. It was a reality. Also, I think it is kind of weird that my projections of which stakeholders would be successful in organizing the Games were almost spot on (City Hall doing things right, State of Rio, BOC and former president doing it wrong), even though 1 year ago that scenario would be very unlikely. After all, who cares? I will remember it for the rest of my life (but I am still glad that I was right ;))

In think that's my favourite post of the games. Makes me emotional. As everyone here who has experienced a games at "home" would tell you, it's just a wonderful moment in the life of your city and you personally. Seizing the moment and wringing all the joy you can out of it is what we'd wish for you all. So glad you seemed to manage that despite your personal challenges leading up.

Thanks so much Rominger.

On 23.8.2016 at 11:21 PM, Sir Rols said:

In think that's my favourite post of the games. Makes me emotional. As everyone here who has experienced a games at "home" would tell you, it's just a wonderful moment in the life of your city and you personally. Seizing the moment and wringing all the joy you can out of it is what we'd wish for you all. So glad you seemed to manage that despite your personal challenges leading up.

Thanks so much Rominger.

I hear you, Roland, I hear you... while waiting for at least only one edition of the Olympic Games to take place in my country during my lifetime. With the ever growing scandals in and around the Olympic Movement, I feel increasingly pessimistic that I will ever experience Olympic Games staged in Germany.

4 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

I feel increasingly pessimistic that I will ever experience Olympic Games staged in Germany.

I still hope it will happen Olympian. When I was young, it never occurred to me to dream Sydney would ever host. One for Germany and one for Sweden, and I'd have made my own personal lifetime "trifecta".

• Like 1

And now to you, Rominger: I think you deserve not only one, but two gold medals - one for your excellent and very touching article, and one for the passion you showed for the Olympic idea and the Games in your home city, despite your difficult personal circumstances. That said, I and probably many other people here hope that you find time to come back here once in a while. Maybe it can sometimes take your mind off the problems in your personal life and in the Brazil of the year 2016 (and following). Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

Had a huge "Olympic" hangover, still didn´t return to normal life yet. 

Hey, there is still the Paralympic Games! Going to be a volunteer at Paratriathlon (couldn´t do both during Olympic Games and happy I gave up before I regretted it) and planning to go the Olympic Park with my daughter next Saturday, much more relaxed now, to enjoy with her.

Olympian2004, I will try to come back here more often. I know we don´t talk only about bids here, but the main reason I joined here was the fact of hoping that, someday, I would had the privilege to watch the Olympics at my backyard. Since it won´t happen again soon (like the World Cup), I won´t be as much motivated to come back often as I was years ago. And, since my priorities had shifted a little during the past 5 years, I often forgot of places like this to join and talk.

What I know is that my relation with the Olympic Games have shifted. I went previously to 2 other Winter Games (2002, 2006) and I enjoyed a lot, but not at the same intensity as this one. I fell like I don´t need to do what I did again, ever. Like if the IOC decided to never host the Games again (I know, I know, just as an example), I wouldn´t miss it at all.

Obviously, this is now... then in 2 years time, everyone will start talking about Tokyo and suddenly I would start saving to go there. :D  Right now, I feel in peace with this.

2018, as of today, I will be here in Rio to commentate at the Winter Olympics, so out of question.

By the way, will be attending the Opening Ceremony next week, will try to join the chat here if I go by myself.