Post-Olympic depression

9 hours ago, Daze said:

The blues struck me hard right now.

After watching the CC I stayed wake for preparing my kids for school, after they were all gone I slept for a few hours. Now wake again, I was turning on the TV and there was nothing. That is maybe the like a cold turkey, from 24 hours broadcast to nothing, that hard cut makes it all more terrible. Well at least I can watch the CC with my wife this evening again cause she didn´t saw it last night.

Btw @Olympian2004 : Gab es gestern auf dem ZDF eine vernünftige Zusammenfassung der Spiele die länger als 10 Minuten ging? Habe da nur dieses Telenovela-artige Zusammenfassung gesehen, aber das kann es ja echt nicht gewesen sein? In London und selbst in Sochi hatten sie richtig gute Rückblicke.

(Please bear with me that I answer in English, so that our friends here understand what we're writing about.) I sadly don't know whether there was any longer summary video of the Rio Games. I wasn't at home for large parts of yesterday, so I could watch only parts of the final Olympic broadcass. But I would be surprised if there wasn't a summary, it's a standard on ARD and ZDF at the end of each Olympic Games, World Cup and EURO. Or maybe it will come later (but that would be odd, too)?

But I am still doing surprisingly well, no real post-Olympic blues so far. Yes, it was a bit strange to switch the TV on after work and watching no Olympic events but my usual TV staples like the Simpsons again. But I just rewatched the closing ceremony, too and reminded myself of the fast-approaching Paralympics, so there was hardly any chance for the blues to beset me. :D

The end of the games is always sad for me - there is such a build up to any Olympic Games and then it is over in a flash. 

For me its back to the PhD and writing about the Olympics - so for me the Olympics never stop :)

I even got interviewed for a local news website about my thesis.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/83204255/Rio-Olympics-2016-Why-the-Olympics-epitomise-our-national-identity

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mainad said:

Sigh, we spend years discussing the build up to an Olympics and then, puff, it's come and gone in the space of just 2 short weeks! I'm still only coming to terms with the fact  that London 2012 is over and now Rio 2016 has just flown by as well! :o;)

Is it just me or does time really fly by quicker as we get older? I guess the good thing about that is that Tokyo 2020 will be with us in no time!!! :D

Yeah, it's pretty much universal I guess, at least in cultures with a western linear concept of time or something similar. The exact reasons aren't known but I remember an experiment where persons of different ages were asked to guess when a certain duration of time, maybe 10 minutes, had passed by without seeing the clock, and the younger the persons were, the more impatient they were to wait. Older persons were more likely to instead underestimate the speed of time. As a teenager four years felt an eternity but yes, it does seem like London ended just yesterday but now Rio is also well behind us. Like you say, the good thing about all this is that Tokyo is just around the corner.

I don't know if it's the age thing but I don't really feel the post games blues yet, unlike after London and Beijing when it hit pretty hard but I would say it's due to a major life change that I find myself in which is quite stressful and is taking most of my mental energy and focus for sometime now. Back in 2012 and especially 2008 I was much more idle so the end of action led to a bigger emptiness.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to watch on TV anymore. I tried watching movies, didn't work. I tried watching the news, didn't work either. The only thing that had worked is watching friends and that's the only thing that gets me up. I ended up watching beach volleyball and the ceremonies which I found on demand (LIFE SAVER). I guess I have to come out of my house....

Also I want to add that by the end of last week I was feeling a bit exhausted after having spent most of my time awake glued to the TV screen or my computer. It's something of a relief having more time for normal things. I don't know if I could have continued in the same manner for a third week in a row.

• Like 1

Usually whenever the Olympics end, be it summer or winter, I do get a little sad when watching the end. Then I get into an Olympic withdrawal.  Not so much this time largely because I was heavily working during this period. Always cracks me up whenever you overhear an athlete screaming "NOOOOOOOO!!!" when the IOC President declare the Games closed at the CC. Do wish the IOC would listen to David Wallenchinsky and expand at least the Summer Olympics to a month-long affair like the World Cups (rugby one included) and European Championships, Copa Americas, and FIBA World Basketball Championships. Wouldn't negatively impact TV broadcasters all that much.   

I think that reindeer and Durban Sandshark said particularly interesting things:

While reindeer was too busy with a major change in his life, things are actually pretty relaxed for me now and if there was any change in my life, it was a positive one: I'm quite newly in love, so that kept me a bit busy during the Olympic Games, too. ;) But even that hardly explains why I still feel no real sense of withdrawal after the end of these Games. Maybe it's simply age and I don't get as enthused as easily about the Olympic Games. :D Or, something that would be more regrettable: Maybe it's due to all the Olympic controversies during the past few years, including the doping scandals but also the "NOlympia" victories in the Olympic referendums of Munich and Hamburg. Maybe I can't idolise the Olympic Games that much anymore, after having had to realise that the IOC is run by a bunch of corrupt people and/or cowards, just like FIFA.

And Durban, another reason might have been that I had to work during the Games and due to the time shift between Brazil and Central Europe, missed out on quite a lot of events. But who knows... In any case, I second Wallenchinsky's move for prolonged Olympic Games. But on the other hand, I guess that it would be logistically difficult to stretch them out across three or even four weeks, especially when the Paralympics still have to be staged after them, too.

:) That Boxing Day feeling huh?

All that effort lasting seven years then its over.

Paralympics a fortnight away gives a sense of mild foreclosure and a chance to squeeze a little more magic out of the batteries.

What Rio needs to do is go after "legacy" events for the next twenty years. Look to Sydney and London as strong examples.

55 minutes ago, A-Money1983 said:

After Sochi, I watched the Sydney Olympics start-to-finish on YouTube.  That includes ceremonies, USA team events, and whatever medal events were available.  

It was mainly done since I missed most of it in 2000.

Thank God for YouTube for our years-on-end Olympic love affairs in between Olympics and beyond!