Tokyo 2020 Unveils New Olympic an Paralympic Emblems

GBModerator

Exactly five years ahead of the Olympic Games opening ceremony, on Friday Tokyo 2020 held a splashy event at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Plaza to present the official emblems of the Games. The new Olympic logo is composed of an abstract ‘T’ including an element of Japan’s “rising sun” in black, grey, gold and red.  The […]

View the full article

Anything's better than Pyeongchang's MS Paint look-alike at this point. With that said, I did find myself going "What is it?" before I read the GamesBids story. The whole "abstract T" part was confusing.

Anything's better than Pyongchang's, you're right. At least there's the red rising sun, unmistakably Japan, back from the 1964 logo. Saw the video. Looked as though there might be a subtle nod to the J-League logo going through the changes before settling on the final product. Is the Paralympic one supposed to be a abstract nod not just to equality but also the Tokyo Metropolitan Municipal Building?

It seems that unless we have a Rio logo again and never move from the confort zone of the 90's-early 00's, style speaking, anything remotely different will bring up the ire and whine of most. This kind of attitude is what makes me like London logo even more (despite I hated that one with a passion back when it was first released).

To be honest most lost their understanding of what a logo was. It doesn't really need to be a flashy illustration/CGI drawing like most have been doing on recent years. Just saying.

Archived