Federations’ Chief Vizer Blasts Bach Over Agenda 2020, Host City Selection and His Dysfunctional IOC

GBModerator

SportAccord President Marius Vizer opened the General Assembly of his organization of International Sport Federations Monday in Sochi by making bold and aggressive remarks towards International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach.  Vizer criticized Bach for excluding sports federations from key decisions including the Olympic host city selection process, for an ineffective Agenda 2020 and […]

View the full article

What an idiotic tirade by Vizer. With the exception of a few marquee sports, the IF's sanctioned World Championships and World Cup events are held in sporting oblivion, anybody recall the last GB thread about the World Fencing Championships, me neither. Many of his constituents are lucky to be able to ride the Olympic gravy train.

What an idiotic tirade by Vizer. With the exception of a few marquee sports, the IF's sanctioned World Championships and World Cup events are held in sporting oblivion, anybody recall the last GB thread about the World Fencing Championships, me neither. Many of his constituents are lucky to be able to ride the Olympic gravy train.

Including his own International Judo Federation, unless that is alimented by the greatest judoka of all from the Gazprom budget.

And was he talking about the high cost of ceremonies.... IN SOCHI!!!!

The Sochi Ceremonies are one of my all-time favourites, BUT it would have been cheaper burning $100US bills for three hours in a huge bonfire!

I'm finding that Sochi's OC cost them $52 million. Vancouver's OC was set at $38 million, and London's was about $43 million. $14 million dollar difference between Vancouver's and Sochi's OC, and it definitely paid off as Vancouver's is forgettable and Sochi's was just brilliant.

While $52 million is a lot, compared to the over $50 billion budget for the games, it's a bargain.

I'm finding that Sochi's OC cost them $52 million. Vancouver's OC was set at $38 million, and London's was about $43 million. $14 million dollar difference between Vancouver's and Sochi's OC, and it definitely paid off as Vancouver's is forgettable and Sochi's was just brilliant.

While $52 million is a lot, compared to the over $50 billion budget for the games, it's a bargain.

Where did you get your figures? I have Vancouver OC at Can$25 mil (total Vancouver ceremonies was Can$50 mil); London at $82 mil (for combined Opening & Closing); and I guestimated Sochi's OC at $65 mil. (I included the costs of the roof, the gantry, the stage and extra warehouses in the Sochi OC).

Ceremonies are really only a minor issue in this debate (cue big gasp from baron), Vizer actually adressed some valid points like cost-cutting and considering the needs of the sports/athletes more when it comes to host selection.

Given that this is coming from him as a Tsaristic protegee and doing so in the most gigantomanic host city ever gives him zero credibility though.

Where did you get your figures? I have Vancouver OC at Can$25 mil (total Vancouver ceremonies was Can$50 mil); London at $82 mil (for combined Opening & Closing); and I guestimated Sochi's OC at $65 mil. (I included the costs of the roof, the gantry, the stage and extra warehouses in the Sochi OC).

Google. Multiple sources.

The combined total that I found for Vancouver was $48 million. For London I found it was 27 million pound sterling for the opening and 20 million pound sterling for the closing, further searching 27 translated to 43 million.

Archived