Mayor Wants Brisbane To Host 2028 Olympic Games

GBModerator

Brisbane’s Lord Mayor Graham Quirk, says Brisbane is the obvious choice as the next Australian host city, but he believes the bid will only succeed if it is hosted across the region, including the Gold and Sunshine coasts. The Australian reports Quirk will add the bid proposal to the agenda of the next meeting of […]

View the full article

As much as I would love to see a home Olympics, 2028 is not the time. Forgetting that it's too soon after Sydney and all the other obvious reasons.

Currently, Australia's right wing prime minister is constantly telling us that we're in immense debt, $300 billion ballooning. And QLD has just had a state election where the right wing party was kicked out. However, QLD is also in debt, the previous gov cut thousands of public service jobs and wanted to sell/lease state assets.

I can't see Abbott supporting a bid and then even if by some miracle he did support a bid, I can't see it having a lot of support. This government is trying to implement a variety of measures that will increase taxes etc. Don't think people will want billions to be a spent on a 2 week sporting event :/

The question is if Brisbane is willing or even needs a new stadium? Queen Elizabeth II Stadium is definitely no longer a viable option (it was proposed to be expanded from its 60,000 1982 Commonwealth Games capacity to 90,000-95,000 for the 1992 Summer Olympics), even if it were to be accessible by rail.

Where would it be built? The ideal Boondall Wetlands would definitely have the environmental types angry, even if you only propose a small section of that wetlands to serve as an Olympic Park.

Brisbane could use a new indoor arena for sure, but is having such a legacy from an Olympics enough to justify its construction?

The use of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast is logical, especially with rail upgrades potentially offering a "high speed rail" type setup, possibly a test route, to see if it is viable for nationwide use. The idea of having 30 minutes up or down with 1 hour max from Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast and vice versa.

Can it work? Does Brisbane need a new stadium of high capacity? Even if it were to serve specifically Australian rules football if its legacy of an athletics stadium is not viable.

The Boondall Plan worked for 1992, because it wasn't "environmentally protected" and had the newly (being built in 1985) Brisbane Entertainment Centre). Will it work now? It will surely get the enviro groups angered, but there's plenty of room to develop and you got a dedicated train station that could easily be doubled if necessary.

Build a new arena to supplement the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, an Aquatics Centre, the new stadium, the sailing venue (as was the case for 1992), the Athletes' Village and Main Media Centre. You could have temporary venues here too.

It'll probably include the Sunshine Coast, just to add a couple of locations for potential temporary and permanent venues, as well as make use of the airport and existing accommodation options.

You have the Main Media Centre in Brisbane, with the existing Gold Coast Convention Centre (minus the arena) as well as the proposed one in the Sunshine Coast as auxiliary sites, serving the events held in those cities.

It won't be as compact as the 1992 bid, but with improved rail upgrades and the potential to showcase Australia's first "high speed rail" link, it could work.

The core problem is where the Olympic Park will be (it has to be one). I still say Boondall and the wetlands is good option. Build the main stadium at Boondall near Nudgee College, where the college could be used as the main athlete training site, which would be right next to the Olympic Village (serving as public housing post Olympics). Add a new arena next to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. You have a legacy aquatics centre near the main stadium alongside some temporary indoor arenas for some indoor sports (the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre could host 2 indoor halls of 5,000, with weightlifting in the great hall). Alternatively if it is cheaper to use temporary venues/alternate venues for these sports, the BCEC could be used as the Main Media Centre instead (keeping in line with the subsites).

IF Brisbane is once again called upon as the first Australian bid, then it would be interesting to see what they propose this time.

Brisbane/gold coast could be a strong bid.

Not going to happen. Gold Coast are hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2018 and haven't shown any interest in bidding for the Olympics. Brisbane won't bid, unless Sydney or Melbourne shows no interest.

Not going to happen. Gold Coast are hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2018 and haven't shown any interest in bidding for the Olympics. Brisbane won't bid, unless Sydney or Melbourne shows no interest.

Gold Coast hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2018 has nothing to do with the mayor of Brisbane considering a bid for an Olympic games in 2028. The events will happen 10 years apart and cities around the world won't get too serious about considering a bid for the 2028 Olympics until about 2018. And Gold Coast would never show any interest on being a sole contender for the Olympics because the city knows it isn't big enough to host such an event.

I do think a joint bid between Brisbane and Gold Coast would be ideal, but if such a bid is going to go up against cities that are fully capable of handling the games under a one-city bid, then the joint bid will fail. I think Brisbane should consider being the sole city for the Australian bid and keep as many events in their area as possible, but have Gold Coast manage some of the smaller events. They will have venues in place that were just used their Commonwealth games so Brisbane will be relieved of having to build so many new venues.

Sydney? Sydney is not going to bid. If Melbourne were to bid, we'd only be doing so as to force the AOC to do a domestic bid race.. I think we'd be letting Brisbane make the first move.

Just because the Gold Coast is hosting the Commonwealth Games, doesn't mean they show no interest. They will be an auxiliary site to any future Brisbane bid. The compact bid of 1992 is long gone. You have the potential venues in the Gold Coast including the aquatics centre (for Waterpolo preliminaries), the new arena (for Basketball preliminaries), Robina Stadium (for Rugby 7's), Carrara Stadium (for Football preliminaries), the indoor arena at the convention centre (for another indoor sport) and perhaps the mountain bike trail used at the Commonwealth Games.

It'll be Brisbane, Gold Coast to the south and Sunshine Coast to the north. It could work as a regional bid.

Sydney? Sydney is not going to bid. If Melbourne were to bid, we'd only be doing so as to force the AOC to do a domestic bid race.. I think we'd be letting Brisbane make the first move.

Just because the Gold Coast is hosting the Commonwealth Games, doesn't mean they show no interest. They will be an auxiliary site to any future Brisbane bid. The compact bid of 1992 is long gone. You have the potential venues in the Gold Coast including the aquatics centre (for Waterpolo preliminaries), the new arena (for Basketball preliminaries), Robina Stadium (for Rugby 7's), Carrara Stadium (for Football preliminaries), the indoor arena at the convention centre (for another indoor sport) and perhaps the mountain bike trail used at the Commonwealth Games.

It'll be Brisbane, Gold Coast to the south and Sunshine Coast to the north. It could work as a regional bid.

And Gold Coast for Beach Volleyball, Open water swimming, triathlon, and mayve road racing cycling and marathon...

^^ Add Mountain Biking, Rugby 7's, Football Preliminaries, Basketball Preliminaries, Waterpolo Preliminaries (or both), a minor indoor sport (like Wrestling). No point on wasting such good existing venues. Might as well add Modern Pentathlon at the Gold Coast too.

Sydney has more chance of hosting again then Brisbane and Perth does of hosting. Only Melbourne hosting is a bigger chance, but if Melbourne decides not to bid, Sydney has the best chance of bidding again for Australia.

^^ Sydney? Seriously? They hosted in 2000 and that's fine. Why would they want or need to bid again (unless we go through a failed bid cycle). Another Sydney Games would offer less than what we got in 2000. Sure the legacy venues are there, but why would you be offering less overall?

Still think Melbourne will be next for 2 reasons- they have the venues, and they WANT events.

Since Sydney 2000, Melbourne has hosted the World Championships in Swimming, Cycling, Road Cycling and Gymnastics and the Comm Games. And the annual Formula 1, GP Moto and Grand Slam Tennis.

Sydney -nothing. They never seem to have any interest.

Melbourne is due to be Australia's largest city around 2040 as well.....

I think Melbourne will be Australia's next bidder too. If Melbourne decide not to bid, then Sydney will bid again.

Just shut up Tony. No one here wants or cares about your opinion so please stop sharing it with us and clogging up threads.

Just shut up Tony. No one here wants or cares about your opinion so please stop sharing it with us and clogging up threads.

You people never learn...

My only issue with Melbourne is the climate. It's the most southern major city in Australia, and because of that you still have temperatures that are a bit too cool to have an Olympics in September and even October, which would be the earliest they could host the Olympics if you don't want to go as early as April or May. September and October in Melbourne sees average highs in the mid 60s F and average lows in the mid 40s F, and they're two of the most rainiest months in Melbourne. Sure you can gamble and hope that you see above average temperatures, but that shouldn't be a risk the IOC is willing to take. Also the one and only time Melbourne hosted the Olympics, they hosted in the last week of November and the first week of December.

Sydney can manage to host in a more timely manner because it's much closer to the equator. They hosted the last 2 weeks of September.

But Brisbane lies more north of Sydney and their winters are much shorter than Sydney's. Ideally they could host as early as late July, but more than likely end of August, beginning of September would be more ideal for them. These 3 months are also the driest months, so rain will be a smaller issue than Sydney's and Melbourne. So if the IOC is going to be more inclined to stick to the Olympic timeline, then I think Brisbane is Australia's best chance.

Wrong. Sydney managed to host in the last 2 weeks of September because they didn't have the AFL Grand Final to deal with. Yes the AFL season ended earlier that year, but had it been Melbourne, there still would have been the need to prepare the MCG for athletics and ceremonies.Sydney having a brand new venue could still host NRL, within that athletics setup and it did host some rugby games.

Melbourne, should we bid again will not make the mistake of an October games (with late September). It will be solely September, perhaps earlier than Sydney, provided the AFL season is modified to end in August.

Who do you think you are? You have no right to tell anyone that they can't have an opinion. I'm giving my opinion like everyone else is. Now, stay out of it.

Anyway, Brisbane doesn't have the infrastructure that Sydney and Melbourne have though, or the experience.

Who do you think you are? You have no right to tell anyone that they can't have an opinion. I'm giving my opinion like everyone else is. Now, stay out of it.

Anyway, Brisbane doesn't have the infrastructure that Sydney and Melbourne have though, or the experience.

I'm a member here and you annoy me. I'm not telling you that you cannot have an opinion, I'm telling you that no one wants to hear your opinion because it adds nothing the the conversations except for generalizations and fights.

Tony, have you ever visited Australia? Are you aware of the fact that Brisbane is a highly developed city and considered one of the best in the world? Are you aware that most of the people who ran Melbourne's games are all dead? Are you aware that Sydney hosted a mere 14 years ago? Are you aware of basic information about Australia that could be found within a matter of seconds on Google? Information that would make you look a lot more educated than you do now.

HUH? Brisbane may be less developed than either Melbourne or Sydney, but they have plenty of experience. They host major events every year, just like we or Sydney does. They are well poised to get a games simply because they have something which Melbourne does not, the ideal dates of the Games, during the mid year. Only real issue being both the AFL and NRL seasons, but I'm sure both leagues can take a 2 week break, where Brisbane could host an AFL exhibition game or two at the Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground). The proposed concept of a regional games is not compact as their 1992 bid, but it could work. Only problem being where to put the Olympic Park, I'd say Boondall is ideal, whilst keeping most of the wetlands preserved. Nudgee College is perfect as the main athlete's training site as it's campus has many sporting facilities already.

Infrastructure? Brisbane has heaps, with the Gold Coast a mere 1 hours drive away and it's 30,000+ accommodation rooms already... Brisbane is well poised in the accommodation sector.

Simple fact, even with the 1982 Commonwealth Games well behind them, Brisbane can host, given the wealth of venues they have and are getting in future.

I'm a member here and you annoy me. I'm not telling you that you cannot have an opinion, I'm telling you that no one wants to hear your opinion because it adds nothing the the conversations except for generalizations and fights.

Tony, have you ever visited Australia? Are you aware of the fact that Brisbane is a highly developed city and considered one of the best in the world? Are you aware that most of the people who ran Melbourne's games are all dead? Are you aware that Sydney hosted a mere 14 years ago? Are you aware of basic information about Australia that could be found within a matter of seconds on Google? Information that would make you look a lot more educated than you do now.

How about you take some of your own advice before judging me. I will give my opinion, whether you like it or not.

Archived