Why Agenda 2020 Will Fail

Faster

1)Countries that are bidding and winning the rights to host the Olympics currently are using them as national prestige events to highlight their great accomplishments. Allowing a neighbor nation to host a venue/event does not fit into this narrative. Exemplified by Korea refusing to considering moving the sliding sports to another country because it is 'against national sentiment'. I.E. national prestige and national feelings of self-worth.

2) There has already been a backlash within the IOC over this and some very delicate wording about these changes only applying in exceptional circumstances. The USOC has already stated they will still bid with a city-host model.

3) The IOC has not reached out to Rio to try and have secondary venues for volleyball, handball and basketball moved to Sao Paolo instead of going ahead with rush jobs to complete the Deodoro cluster. Highlighting the lack of desire to actually see these changes take effect.

4) Temporary venues are not much cheaper, and consistent of a much larger environmental footprint that is prone to waste.

5) The IOC is not re-opening 2022 despite the legitimate arguments that the IOC has changed the conditions of the bid after the process began.

I will believe the IOC will accept and implement these changes when Bach calls out a winning bid from Paris with a significant cluster in Lille or Lyon, or Hamburg with Breman or Berlin with Hamburg or Rome with Milan. Until than this is just putting lipstick on a pig. Or a bloated albino elephant as the case may be.

• Like 2

3) The IOC has not reached out to Rio to try and have secondary venues for volleyball, handball and basketball moved to Sao Paolo instead of going ahead with rush jobs to complete the Deodoro cluster. Highlighting the lack of desire to actually see these changes take effect.

Faster, I agree for the most part with your assessment, except #3. Rio is what? 555 days or so away from the OC. Those venues in Deodoro already have an imprint on the ground. It's really too late to alter those. Plus, it looks like what Brazil is building in Rio will be the base for their national athletic program. So, at this point, fat chance of them moving those. And for the planet's 5th most populous nation, the legacy of 2016 will probably serve it well. Now, the Koreans are being stubborn, or also, it is too late to undo that package. Tokyo will be the first host city to benefit from the trimmed-down principles of Agenda 2020.

What "trimmed-down principles"? Most likely, Tokyo will use Agenda 2020 to include additional sports, I wouldn't call that trimming down.

Meaning that a future host city may add or remove sports depending on what's already on the ground. Maybe Tokyo can forego the white-wate-rafting venue since that'a a rather expensive venue to be built from scratch. I DIDN'T say that Tokyo (or any future would-be hosts) HAS to do it.

1)Countries that are bidding and winning the rights to host the Olympics currently are using them as national prestige events to highlight their great accomplishments. Allowing a neighbor nation to host a venue/event does not fit into this narrative. Exemplified by Korea refusing to considering moving the sliding sports to another country because it is 'against national sentiment'. I.E. national prestige and national feelings of self-worth.

There's a reason it's called Agenda 2020 and not Agenda 2016. If the IOC wanted to implement these changes for Rio and PC, they should have made these decisions a couple of years ago, before construction on these venues was started, not after. So yea, I can't really fault the Koreans for sticking to their guns and building the sliding venue after they've already been building it for months right now. If the Koreans saw this as an opportunity to save time and expense, that's their decision to make at this point. It shouldn't be forced upon them because the IOC suddenly had some new ideas. So I wouldn't read much into the "national sentiment" comment. They bid for the entire Olympics. They won the right to host the entire Olympics. Why should they give the sliding sports to another country if they don't want to.

I will believe the IOC will accept and implement these changes when Bach calls out a winning bid from Paris with a significant cluster in Lille or Lyon, or Hamburg with Breman or Berlin with Hamburg or Rome with Milan. Until than this is just putting lipstick on a pig. Or a bloated albino elephant as the case may be.

This part I agree with you on. Getting cities to bid is one thing. But if they're not going to win, what's the point. We need to see how this process all plays out. Who bids according to these new rules (that might not have otherwise), and what are the results? Until then, we don't know if this all will be a success or a failure.

Meaning that a future host city may add or remove sports depending on what's already on the ground. Maybe Tokyo can forego the white-wate-rafting venue since that'a a rather expensive venue to be built from scratch. I DIDN'T say that Tokyo (or any future would-be hosts) HAS to do it.

Still, existing venues can be temporarily converted for other sports. As an example, a baseball stadium converted for Davis Cup tennis in San Diego:

the-petco-dance.jpg

that looks really weird, but hey it works. And with Tokyo being limited in space, it makes sense for them more than anyone else to do just this.

Davis Cup has had also some other interesting venues. This year's final in Lille:

topelement.jpg

The soccer stadium has some seats installed below the other half of the soccer field. That half of the field is moved aside to get those seats exposed. Also, the stadium has a retractable roof and the Davis Cup final was played indoors.

The final some years ago in Seville:

78382.jpg

The court was built at one end of an athletics stadium and a roof was installed above the tennis court.

The benefit from doing that is to use the existing media center of the stadium. That would make sense also at the Olympics. No need to build a new venue if there's one for another sport that can be temporarily converted.

Yeah, Lille's Stadium has a Retractable Football Pitch.

The Agenda 2020 won't work over Night. It needs to be given a chance to prove itself.

Davis Cup has had also some other interesting venues. This year's final in Lille:

topelement.jpg

The soccer stadium has some seats installed below the other half of the soccer field. That half of the field is moved aside to get those seats exposed. Also, the stadium has a retractable roof and the Davis Cup final was played indoors.

78382.jpg

The court was built at one end of an athletics stadium and a roof was installed above the tennis court.

The benefit from doing that is to use the existing media center of the stadium. That would make sense also at the Olympics. No need to build a new venue if there's one for another sport that can be temporarily converted.

The way they used these 2 stadiums is much better than how they used the baseball stadium in San Diego. Instead of utilizing existing seating in the San Diego baseball stadium it looks like they decided to use all temporary seating, increasing their cost.

topelement.jpg

78382.jpg

NO No NO!! Too ugly, wonky and asymmetrical. It CANNOT be like that for an Olympics!! That's why Lille lost!!

lol is that the Olympic stadium configuration for the baseball stadium used in Atlanta???

And the IOC knew that going in. It was a win-win situation for everyone around. It's been the LEAST white elephant of the main Olympic stadia. And it's nothing as make-shift as that example from Seville.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

At least it's better than the other way around

lamem13954.jpg

Oh I'm not saying it was a bad choice, but I was genuinely asking if that really was it, as I've never seen an aerial pic of the stadium before the track was actually removed. Also I was trying to find where the entrances the athletes and performers came in and went out of during the opening and closing ceremonies. But you're right our version came out better.

And the IOC knew that going in. It was a win-win situation for everyone around. It's been the LEAST white elephant of the main Olympic stadia. And it's nothing as make-shift as that example from Seville.

That's true. It may have looked bad for the games, but it didn't totally go to waste. Although there are talks about demolishing it now and building a new baseball stadium for the Atlanta Braves, which is pretty crazy since it's not even 20 years old yet.

Also read that some IOC members were actually disappointed with the conversion of the stadium and wished that the track & field remained in place, which was a totally stupid idea since here in the US track & field athletes always practice at college stadiums. And using it as a football or soccer stadium would be awful as there is a large amount of distance between the field and the spectators. That is just a terrible idea for seating.

Oh I'm not saying it was a bad choice, but I was genuinely asking if that really was it, as I've never seen an aerial pic of the stadium before the track was actually removed. Also I was trying to find where the entrances the athletes and performers came in and went out of during the opening and closing ceremonies. But you're right our version came out better.

A ramp was placed over some of the seats in the bottom left corner of the stadium, where it connected down to the street behind the stadium to the athletes holding centre at the old Municipal Stadium next door.

Well, if the Running Track fits and all the Seats have Excellent Unobstructed Views and are covered with a Roof, then there is no problem IMO.

I don't see a problem either, but one posters suggested that the Olympics couldn't have an ugly, asymetircal stadium.

I know, but Comfort and Requirements are the Priority with Stadiums, not it's Shape.