Only Twenty Per Cent Support Paris 2024 Bid

GBModerator

Good bye to Paris France 2024 bid, Italy may not bid as well and Germany is an maybe things are not looking too good for the 2024 bid race, I wonder if John Tory the next Mayor of Toronto Canada will restart the 2024 bid now that Rob Ford will be out of office in a month time if so it will be interesting show down between the USA and Canada to host the 2024 Summer Games, If not then I can see Baku Azerbaijan being the runner up city to Los Angeles USA in 2024.

It makes sense for Toronto to run for 2024 since they seem to have followed in the same footsteps of Rio, which is host the Pan American games first and then go for the Olympics. Toronto has bid in the past only to fall short. It will have most venues in place and some of them used for the Pan American games will probably just need some slight renovations like more seating.

And that would really suck for the bid lineup for 2024 if France, Italy and Germany did not enter. All we'll be left with is Baku, Doha and Turkey. And more than likely an American bid. Good for the American bid but I would have liked to see Berlin get this one.

How serious do we take this poll? Is it like when we get a pool from Fox News saying that 75% of Americans think that Obama is, literally, the antichrist.

It's not a particularly surprising result. Until nations stop paying for Olympic Games with magic pixie money (i.e. subtly obscuring the true sources of the billions of dollars payable) their citizens are going to be perpetually suspicious.

This is surprising.

We've had polls in the last couple of years showing support as high as 67% and others showing at around the 50% mark. I'd be surprised if it's as high as the former, but very, very surprised if it's as low as this new poll says.

It's a very large sample size, but on the other hand it's not asking a representive cross section of French society, just its readership, which might be more cynical about these things than average.

This is either something to be taken seriously or to not take seriously. Regardless the Paris group has their work cut out for them, they must convince Parisians and the Parisian government along with the greater French population that it makes sense to bid and that Paris can host affordably.

This is surprising.

We've had polls in the last couple of years showing support as high as 67% and others showing at around the 50% mark. I'd be surprised if it's as high as the former, but very, very surprised if it's as low as this new poll says.

It's a very large sample size, but on the other hand it's not asking a representive cross section of French society, just its readership, which might be more cynical about these things than average.

Also keep in mind that the readership could come from other regions in France where Paris is not so popular, I know that most Americans would balk at the prospect of DC hosting.

Also keep in mind that the readership could come from other regions in France where Paris is not so popular, I know that most Americans would balk at the prospect of DC hosting.

If the national government is funding the project, then shouldn't people in the whole country have a say in the matter? It's a bit different in France since Paris makes up 20% of the population of France while DC is about 1.5% of the US population, but Parisiennes are still a small minority of mainland France.

To be honest I don't think the French are as opposed to their capitol city as Americans are, though. Paris is not only the governmental center of France, but also its historical, spiritual and cultural center. For Americans Washington DC equals tax collectors, profligate politicians and poorly named sports teams.

If the national government is funding the project, then shouldn't people in the whole country have a say in the matter? It's a bit different in France since Paris makes up 20% of the population of France while DC is about 1.5% of the US population, but Parisiennes are still a small minority of mainland France.

To be honest I don't think the French are as opposed to their capitol city as Americans are, though. Paris is not only the governmental center of France, but also its historical, spiritual and cultural center. For Americans Washington DC equals tax collectors, profligate politicians and poorly named sports teams.

Most certainly, but it does not give us an accurate idea of what the people of Paris think which IMO is more important to the survival of the bid then the opinions of those in say Vichy or Lyon.

I think a better example would be New York or hell even LA. Most Americans have very mixed feelings about both of those cities. While New York would be the more popular choice for Americans, I think most would still balk at the idea of tax dollars going towards it in cities that some could argue are as disconnected from the nation as they are representative of it. Of course here in the states fed. money does not go towards the games, but in France they do. The idea that people in other French regions (North-West France in particular) do not feel the slightest bit disconnected from Paris is one I find hard to believe. In my opinion all capitol cities can feel a little disconnected at times because in many ways they are. Historically Paris has been as disconnected as it has been connected, from the revolution to even today.

It is one thing for Europe to be getting nervous about the WOG, BUT for major European Cities like Paris, and maybe Berlin to be getting cold feet on the SOG is a BIG worry....

Because it's just gotten so ridiculously big. They have to bring the number of sports down and throw away a lot of he borderline sports. That's what it'll amount to. And that gigantism will still be there when Rio splashes on the wide screen in 2 summers; and then in Tokyo in another 6. If they can cut Summer down to an essential 17 or 18 (as Peter Ueberroth had long wanted); then it will be a lot more manageable.

It is one thing for Europe to be getting nervous about the WOG, BUT for major European Cities like Paris, and maybe Berlin to be getting cold feet on the SOG is a BIG worry....

They should have gotten the message when the only European bidders for 2020 (to follow a non-European host) were Madrid with Spain's shaky economy and Istanbul and all of their political turmoil. Lucky for the IOC they had Tokyo to fall back on. But yes, if the lack of Euro bidders continues from 2020 into 2022 into 2024, that should be a very big worry. Moreso than they already should be worrying.

Because it's just gotten so ridiculously big. They have to bring the number of sports down and throw away a lot of he borderline sports. That's what it'll amount to. And that gigantism will still be there when Rio splashes on the wide screen in 2 summers; and then in Tokyo in another 6. If they can cut Summer down to an essential 17 or 18 (as Peter Ueberroth had long wanted); then it will be a lot more manageable.

I agree in theory. But this is the IOC we're talking about. Who voted to drop wrestling but keep modern pentathlon. So if they're going to drop sports, I'm not exactly hopeful that they'll make the best decisions but rather will cave to whatever political pressure is out there.

IMO, the IOC needs to be more flexible with their mile long laundry list of demands. As has been suggested, tailor the program if possible to what's going to suit the host country (i.e. consider baseball for the 2020 Olympics knowing there is zero need to build a venue and you don't worry there will be large crowds). The number of athletes hasn't grown significantly since `96. The number of events is largely unchanged since 2000. They need to figure out how better to work with the host city so that the post-games legacy is a sound plan, not a total after-thought.

IMO, the IOC needs to be more flexible with their mile long laundry list of demands. As has been suggested, tailor the program if possible to what's going to suit the host country (i.e. consider baseball for the 2020 Olympics knowing there is zero need to build a venue and you don't worry there will be large crowds). The number of athletes hasn't grown significantly since `96. The number of events is largely unchanged since 2000. They need to figure out how better to work with the host city so that the post-games legacy is a sound plan, not a total after-thought.

And part of that is cutting out sports that require new, expensive venues: i.e., whitewater rafting course for example. That's really NOT an essential sport. ANd that does along with the legacy question in that you don't have all these venues which are now rotting in Athens.

And part of that is cutting out sports that require new, expensive venues: i.e., whitewater rafting course for example. That's really NOT an essential sport. ANd that does along with the legacy question in that you don't have all these venues which are now rotting in Athens.

Again, that begs the question though of who decides what is essential? I'm sure there are factors that could be pointed to (i.e. cost to build the venue, number of athletes, legacy opportunities for the venue) to decide which sports are worthwhile and which aren't. But can they be diplomatic about that? Or are they going to go to the head of international wrestling and say "sorry, but the head of the modern pentathlon, his daddy used to be our boss so we're gonna kiss his ass a little."

I still think there are other and better ways to trim the fat because sports need to be dropped. If the IOC is that concerned with size and cost, then lose some of the perks. Take one for the team, as they say. The vibe from the cities who seem like they're interested in bidding but don't aren't just citing cost concerns, but also an unwillingness to want to work with the IOC. So the change needs to start there, from within. Then they can figure out things like Agenda 2020 and work on specific details.

Again, that begs the question though of who decides what is essential? I'm sure there are factors that could be pointed to (i.e. cost to build the venue, number of athletes, legacy opportunities for the venue) to decide which sports are worthwhile and which aren't. But can they be diplomatic about that? Or are they going to go to the head of international wrestling and say "sorry, but the head of the modern pentathlon, his daddy used to be our boss so we're gonna kiss his ass a little."

I still think there are other and better ways to trim the fat because sports need to be dropped. If the IOC is that concerned with size and cost, then lose some of the perks. Take one for the team, as they say. The vibe from the cities who seem like they're interested in bidding but don't aren't just citing cost concerns, but also an unwillingness to want to work with the IOC. So the change needs to start there, from within. Then they can figure out things like Agenda 2020 and work on specific details.

Aw, you're too nice about it. Let me decide! I will just chop and cleave. They've been mincing about it for years!!

canoe/ slalom simply need to go. More than any sport, they represent the lopsidedness in an events relevance vs the value to the host city.

The catch is, they are worth keeping precisely because they send a message that sport is not all about genteel city environments. I'd include free climbing as well.

IMO, the Sports that should always be a Summer Olympic Sport and never removed as a Summer Olympic Sport are:

Football. World's Most Popular Sport, Barclays Premier League is the Biggest Football League in the World, so the Sport is important.

Golf. Unique Sport.

Rugby. Popular Sport.

Aquatics. Popular Olympic Sport.

Athletics. Popular Olympic Sport.

Cycling. Popular Olympic Sport.

Gymnastics. Popular Olympic Sport.

Wrestling. Popular Sport.

Table Tennis. Unique Sport.

Badminton. Unique Sport.

Boxing. Popular Sport.

Volleyball. Unique Sport.

Beach Volleyball. Unique Sport.

Archery. Unique Sport.

Shooting. Unique Sport.

Tennis. Popular Sport.

Weightlifting. Unique Sport.

I also think Squash should be added too. (Growing Popular Sport).

Archived