PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Media Updates

21 hours ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

Here is NBC's logo for the PyeongChang Games:

http://www.nbcsportsstore.com/Product/1429751-00?cat=Pins

That's the best they could do with their logo?  I know it's not that easy to find something that screams Korea, but this seems really generic.  Almost looks a little too much like the Sydney logo with the opera house

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's the best they could do with their logo?  I know it's not that easy to find something that screams Korea, but this seems really generic.  Almost looks a little too much like the Sydney logo with the opera house

Agreed - this is very basic and too similar to the Sydney logo.  When I first saw a commercial with it yesterday, I thought it was just a placeholder, but if they're selling pins, it must be the official logo.  Aside from Torino, the other 3 NBC logos for the Winter Games have just had generic mountains in the background, but these don't even look like mountains.  The commercial I saw yesterday had an additional pattern at the top that looked a bit more "Korean" in nature, so maybe the full scheme will be better.  On its own, this is a weak effort.

NBC should use Olympic Spirit (John Williams theme for the 1988 olympics) as their song for the transmission of the games, it would be a nice nod to the last time Korea did the games. 

I agree the logo looks very dull. I would like to see the commercial Barcelona_92 mention to see if my mind changes about it.

• 2 months later...

This picture posted by @Ikarus360 on the "Look of the Games" thread ...

board_63371_17851_thumb.jpg

... reminded me that virtual reality is going to be a big feature of the 2018 Olympics, following the experiments in Rio.

Apparently Team GB are very much up for it- I wonder if they'll be wearing helmet-cams:

https://www.vrstatus.com/news/samsung-involves-vr-in-2018-winter-olympics.html

23 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

This picture posted by @Ikarus360 on the "Look of the Games" thread ...

board_63371_17851_thumb.jpg

... reminded me that virtual reality is going to be a big feature of the 2018 Olympics, following the experiments in Rio.

Apparently Team GB are very much up for it- I wonder if they'll be wearing helmet-cams:

https://www.vrstatus.com/news/samsung-involves-vr-in-2018-winter-olympics.html

You can best be sure the likes of SBS, KBS, and MBC (and not just the usual suspects like NBC, CBC/Radio-Canada, NHK, Discovery Europe/Eurosport, BBC, Seven, CCTV)  will all want to take advantage of VR more prominently in the respective host broadcasting coverages beyond the expected events like both ceremonies, the figure skating, the men's and women's gold medal ice hockey matches, alpine skiing, snowboarding, ski jumping, and maybe curling.

I agree with Ikarus in NBC possibly calling up John Williams' 1988 Olympic Spirit for interspersing with Bugler's Dream like for coming after commercial breaks as a nod to the last time NBC Olympics was in South Korea. Be fun to hear again. Yes, NBC's Pyongchang 2018 logo is very blah. But I wish there was some creativity and originality that will draw the American public's image into Korea without resorting towards cliches like commissioning a Korean to do the artwork. NBC Universal's got the pocket money. Even if it's a Korean pagoda or temple with mountains behind it. Just make it like the CBC's Olympic theme only revitilize with host nation's distionctions. Tokyo, we're certain, is very easy to do. NBC could re-hash its 2008 logo, only make it winterized. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the drama between Korea and Japan about the dispute over the Dokdo Islands (currently under korean administration) was reignited after Japan noticed the  PC2018 website refers to the islands only by their korean name.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-pyeongchang-japan-idUSKBN1540CD

Japan says mention of disputed islands on Korean Olympics site 'unacceptable'

Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida on Friday objected to mention on the Pyeongchang Olympics website of islands disputed by his country and South Korea, saying it was "unacceptable" and went against the spirit of the international competition.

Ties between Japan and South Korea, host of the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, have often been fraught over history, especially Japan's 1910-1945 colonization of the Korean peninsula.

Both claim the disputed islands - known as Takeshima in Japanese and Dokdo in Korean - which are about 200 km east of South Korea in the Sea of Japan, and a little further than that from the southwest coast of Japan's main island of Honshu.

In an explanation of national culture, the Pyeongchang website refers to Dokdo and "the East Sea," the Korean name for the Sea of Japan.

"Dokdo holds a special place in the hearts of Koreans as they hold pride in defending Korea's easternmost reached territory," the website says.

Kishida told reporters on Friday the references violated the Olympic charter's opposition to using sports for political purposes and the goal of establishing mutual understanding.

"The contents of the Olympic and Paralympic organizers' website are unacceptable when compared with our country's views on territorial rights to Takeshima and the name of the Sea of Japan," he said.

He said Japan had conveyed its thinking on the matter to the South Korean government and called on Seoul to make an appropriate response.

South Korea sees Japan's claims to the islands as stemming from its colonization of the Korean peninsula in the first half of last century. Ties between the neighbors have long been marred by what South Korea says is Japanese leaders' reluctance to atone for its World War Two history.

Japan temporarily recalled its ambassador to South Korea on Jan. 6 over a statue commemorating Korean women forced to work in Japanese military brothels during World War Two. Tokyo said there was nothing wrong with erecting a statue in memory of the women, but that it was inappropriate to place it outside of a Japanese consulate.

Japan's chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga said on Thursday the ambassador's return was being held off while the government waited to see South Korea's response.

(Reporting by Elaine Lies and Kwiyeon Ha; Editing by Tom Hogue)

Great news for Olympic fans in Poland, TVP (national public broadcaster) buys sub-licence from Discovery (Eurosport owner) for PyeongChang 2018 and Tokyo 2020, which means those events will be accessible as much as possible in new reality of IOC deals in europe, which makes me happy ^^

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/01/31/tvp-inks-discovery-olympics-deal/

TVP inks Discovery Olympics deal

The Polish public broadcaster TVP has signed a sub-licensing agreement with Discovery Communications for the Winter Olympics in 2018 and Summer Olympics in 2020.

As a result, it will be able to offer coverage of the two competitions on its TV channels, online platforms and social media.

The rights cover digital linear transmissions, limited retransmissions and highlights of the most important events.

All told, TVP will provide 200 hours coverage of the Winter Olympics from Pyeongchang, South Korea and 350 hours from the Summer Olympics in the Japanese capital, Tokyo.

Meanwhile, Discovery Communication’s Eurosport will retain full rights to the Games on pay-TV and its digital platforms.

In Poland after controversial limited access to man volleyball world cup in our country by Polsat (which Poland won to make things more ironic) we have regulation that forces broadcaster to transmit importent sport events with Polish participation which includes olimpics openly nation-wide, so Discovery was forced to sell this sublicence somebody here, but still it's better for TVP to have it then Polsat

Glad to hear things will apparently get fixed in your country. I heard from other people TVP broadcasts are considered much better.

Meanwhile the Winter olympics usually always go unnoticed here due to us barely even making it to the games :P (we couldn't go to Vancouver so they didn't even bothered showing those here), though they broadcasted some of Sochi last time.

http://m.ilyo.co.kr/?ac=article_view&entry_id=220802

In the forth quarter of current year, special 2000 won banknotes celebrating the Olympics will be issued in Korea (much like Russia did for the Sochi games). Here are the designs

C3oxqr4WAAAT5yz.jpg

C3oxpaKWMAAyaVt.jpg

This is the 100 rubles special banknote used for Sochi

250708485857BD5612D64A

On 2/1/2017 at 1:00 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Glad to hear things will apparently get fixed in your country. I heard from other people TVP broadcasts are considered much better.

Meanwhile the Winter olympics usually always go unnoticed here due to us barely even making it to the games :P (we couldn't go to Vancouver so they didn't even bothered showing those here), though they broadcasted some of Sochi last time.

Yea, i got use to TVP commentators which are more lively during big moments then ones in Eurosport, not to mention TVP guaranties that concentration on Polish athletes. TVP also means free internet broadcast, but sadly it probably wont be as extend as it was in Rio or Sochi when had full rights and showed all that OBS given them, it wont issue with Winter but in Summer Olympics this might be problem.

Where are you from? You know Poland was also quite weak in winter Olympics too, it was success to get even 1 medal, for long time gold from Sapporo 1972 was only one and only have 4 medals until Salt Lake. But ever since Adam Małysz success our winter sports are having renessase, in Vancover we doubled our medal count and we got 2nd gold medal  in history and and we get same number in Sochi but this time we tripled our gold medal count by getting 4 golds. So all it needed is a spark, or else you really a country really is without mountains and snow, which is know issue with winter olympics, and even bigger challenge to host them.

I have to say this but Pyeongchang has surprisingly done a splendid job getting ready for the 2018 Games.

A lot better than Rio and Sochi tbh.

Here's to the first Games of the Asian Olympic Boom. And I'm so going to be at Tokyo 2020 once tickets are out.

Well, surpassing the organization mess which was Rio wasn't that hard to do tbh . Though Pyeongchang is experimenting issues with the transport/hotel stuff I'm sure they'll be able to find a solution in time.

Some vids from the One Year To Go ceremony done at the Gangneung Ice Arena

7 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

MAJOR news on the NBC front.  Apparently this is happening..

BOB COSTAS PASSES OLYMPIC TORCH TO MIKE TIRICO AS NBC’S PRIMETIME OLYMPIC HOST

No small significance coming at the 1-year mark to the OC. Without a doubt, Tirico is more than up to this challenge, as said in the press release. Just had to get Mike's Olympic feet wet and acclimated starting with Rio. You know, I will miss Costas as primetime host as much I miss watching Jim McKay much earlier.

NBC UNIVERSAL TRANSCRIPT ANNOUNCING PASSING OF THE NBC OLYMPICS PRIMETIME TORCH FROM COSTAS TO TIRICO

That TVP-planned coverage of 200 hours for Pyongchang seems small. But it can still grow a little bit later on, of course. 200 hours seems small compared to what it previously did in Sochi. But the IOC broadcast minimum for Winter Olympics is 100 hours, so I'm sure priority on Polish Olympians and popular Polish Winter Olympic sports will get emphasized.

And not only TVP Polska that was named but also newly included in Discovery Communications agreements are Eesti Meedia in Estonia, Georgian Public Broadcasting in Georgia, RÚV in Iceland and Latvijas Televīzija in Latvia. A deal has also been agreed with Lietuvos Olimpinis Fondas, managed by the National Olympic Committee of Lithuania, as well as Czech Radio in the Czech Republic, which its radio deal supplements a non-exclusive rights partnership already signed with Ceska Televize:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1046519/discovery-communications-sign-seven-new-deals-for-pyeongchang-and-tokyo

Prepare for the ultimate digital multichannel and multiplatform Olympic broadcasting experience with VR and AR including digital innovations along the way with over 100 events live and on-demand from Discovery and Eurosport across 50 European nations and territories continent-wide not named Russia. Plus, it's talking to several of the iconic social media/video companies in this with active partnerships planned. My question becomes will Euros also be able to hear the coverage in various languages without georestrictions?

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/2017020846089/discovery-eurosport-unveil-multiscreen-strategy-for-pyeongchang-2018.html#axzz4YEPlvXQg

http://www.bloombergquint.com/technology/2017/02/07/discovery-s-olympics-tv-plan-inserts-viewers-into-downhill-race

Discovery/Eurosport unviels a new Olympic film called Millions of Journeys, One Destination last month with Eurosport's new Olympic logo now seen that will last from this until at least 2024, signifying this brnad new era in European Olympic multiplatform coverage:

http://www.tvbeurope.com/eurosport-becomes-new-european-home-olympics/

14 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I like Costas well enough, but this is great news. Nobody should host this long. Need to get a fresh eye in there from time to time. 

I'm 38 years old, so just about anyone younger than me will have little to no memory of a Summer Olympics not hosted by Bob Costas.  He's as iconic in that role, if not moreso, than Jim McKay once was.  But Costas is hardly universally well-received.  He has plenty of detractors (a lot of that goes towards overall feelings of NBC's coverage).  And considering what NBC is now up against - 3 straight Asian Olympics, the full slate of cable coverage and everything else they have to deal with now that they didn't years ago - makes this a good time for a change.  It was said many times after Rio that those Olympics may have represented a paradigm shift where it's not all about primetime and NBC really needs to embrace the rest of their assets in order to make the Olympics succeed.  The run-up to Rio (which may or may not have been hurt by all the political coverage) earned NBC a good deal of money, but it didn't show in the ratings, and that's a problem going forward.

Like Durban, I have every confidence in Tirico to take over the reigns from Costas.  I think he'll do an excellent job going forward (and there are potentially 8 Olympics already in front of him, so there's a decent amount of job security here) as he is a solid host and maybe can move away a little from some of the snark that has defined Costas, but also has made him somewhat polarizing.