Berlin To Unveil 2024 Games Bid

GBModerator

In case we missed it every other time Tony posted it .... <_<

Excellent. I reckon Berlin 2024 will be a strong Bid and will be one of the Favourites, alongside Rome and Paris, to Host the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. The 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics are coming back to Europe. Durban will probably use the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Bidding as a 'Warm Up' for the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Bidding IMO. I can't see Los Angeles Hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, but they might become a Candidate City IMO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's warmer and sunnier than London. From a fan perspective places like Rome and Barcelona might be better, but from the perspective of the athletes I actually think London, Paris and Berlin are close to ideal. You don't want to have to run a mile in 90 degree weather. Low 70's is perfect.

I wasn't speaking literally about climate. I was talking more in terms of ambiance and emotion. Australia or Spain or the US would offer a nicer contrast to Tokyo, IMO. Again this is purely subjective. I don't question Berlin's ability (I certainly don't question their weather). I just don't feel excited about the idea.

In case we missed it every other time Tony posted it .... <_<

I have him on "ignore." It makes everything much more pleasant. I don't feel like I'm tied up in knots after reading a thread.

I wasn't speaking literally about climate. I was talking more in terms of ambiance and emotion. Australia or Spain or the US would offer a nicer contrast to Tokyo, IMO. Again this is purely subjective. I don't question Berlin's ability (I certainly don't question their weather). I just don't feel excited about the idea.

I can understand this. To me Los Angeles (and to a slightly lesser extent) Boston give off a much more vibrant/summer like feel then Berlin. That said, I think Berlin will have enough color and unique cultural blend to offer some nice contrast to Tokyo.

I wonder if this'll light a fire under the Parisians' asses becuz I just know they will feel "stung" again if Berlin gets to host the Games before they do and on the centennial anniversary (I know that means so little) of a French Games.

My question exactly.. where do we stand in a Paris V Berlin competition (we know Paris lost the Paris V London title fight)?

France no Summer Games since 1924 - Germany 1972 (and 1936).

Paris multiple recent 'loser' 'deserves' a win for perserverance.

Centenary Paris Games 1924- 2024.

Germany's two 'notorious' Games 1972 and 1936.

Then you have the battle against Africa, USA, Middle EAst, other European capitals.

Interesting note even Toronto beat Paris in the 2008 bid race.

This is neither here nor there. Especially when Paris went on to almost win 2012, & for 2008 the runner-up was a DISTANT second to Beijing, with Paris right behind. Not to mention that the preceding 2004 Games were already slated for Europe in Athens. No one else but Beijing was getting 2008 anyway. So not really an interesting note.

This is neither here nor there. Especially when Paris went on to almost win 2012, & for 2008 the runner-up was a DISTANT second to Beijing, with Paris right behind. Not to mention that the preceding 2004 Games were already slated for Europe in Athens. No one else but Beijing was getting 2008 anyway. So not really an interesting note.

Yeah, I was just gonna say. An absence of Beijing would have changed things greatly, and it could have gone either way for Toronto or Paris (even Osaka, considering continental voting). The finishing positions of two cities in the same round doesn't really matter much.

I completely agree. I'm sure Berlin would be a good host, I just don't feel that they are ready to host the games again. And I don't mean ready as in terms of infrastructure. They have only bid (in recent years) for 2000 which was an awful bid... Paris or any US bid or perhaps a Canadian bid (noone bite my head off haha) would be great for 2024. Not saying any of those would win (although I hope if Paris did bid they would be rewarded) but I think Berlin might have to bid a few times like Paris did before they are awarded the games.

It'd be a bold move if the IOC went with Berlin even if Paris didn't bid because I think the majority can tell that Paris wants to host an olympics sometime soon. But if Berlin wins it'll rule Paris out for at least 2 or 3 cycles. We know the US is desperately wanting an Olympics (preferably a summer one), South Africa as well.

I'd rather a Paris 2024 games then Paris 2036 or 2040. But we just need them to bid...

But Paris got an problem there mayor she does not support an Olympics Games bid I would say if they do bid and lose against either Berlin or Los Angeles that will kill them and forget about hosting the Olympics after losing to Barcelona, Beijing and London. Interesting note even Toronto beat Paris in the 2008 bid race.

But Paris got an problem there mayor she does not support an Olympics Games bid I would say if they do bid and lose against either Berlin or Los Angeles that will kill them and forget about hosting the Olympics after losing to Barcelona, Beijing and London. Interesting note even Toronto beat Paris in the 2008 bid race.

Dumdum... thats because Paris was bidding for 2008 on the back of Athens and Turin...

Interesting to note that Paris was the close second for 2012... what could it mean?

It'd be a bold move if the IOC went with Berlin even if Paris didn't bid because I think the majority can tell that Paris wants to host an olympics sometime soon.

But all the news coming out of France is that they really don't want the Summer Games. The mayor is not particularly excited about the Games and polling reveals that the public is far more supportive of a bid for the World Expo than the Olympics. There was a time when Paris wanted the Games, but that time seems to have passed. If I were the IOC I wouldn't feel a moment's hesitation about going to a different European capital if I believed they were the strongest bidder.

I think there's still a lot of francophile people in the world of sports diplomacy though, who might prefer Paris over a potentially stronger European bid, especially from Germany now that a German is already at the top of the IOC and - unlike his idol JAS - does not seem inclined to pull all strings in favour of his home country.

But again, with the referendum in Berlin as a major hurdle, this whole idea of bidding may soon become hot air anyway.

Berlin does excite, just in a different way than Paris. Berlin is an exciting prospect because of the 2006 World Cup and the 2009 World Championships which were both spectacular. Done properly (unlike the referendums in Munich and Krakow) I am fairly sure Berlin officials can get a referendum passed.

I can also very easily see Berlin beating Paris. Mind you I think its likely only one will bid.

I think if Paris presented a strong bid, Berlin wouldn't stand much of a chance. For the French to be knocked back again by the IOC would be ridiculously heavy handed, if the bid is tight enough.

I'm sad that we don't have Munich 2022 and Paris 2024 lined up to go. I think they would have complimented each other well.

In the end I don't think it will be Germany getting Euro 2024.

Who else though? Turkey seems the only other option so far. I don't know the timelines for Euro bids, but obviously one country won't get both Euro and SOG.

As for the Berlin referendum - the most recent one on an urban development project at former Tempelhof airport, which seemed more useful than a nice-to-have SOG, got clearly rejected, despite political backing. Does not bode well...

Who else though? Turkey seems the only other option so far. I don't know the timelines for Euro bids, but obviously one country won't get both Euro and SOG.

As for the Berlin referendum - the most recent one on an urban development project at former Tempelhof airport, which seemed more useful than a nice-to-have SOG, got clearly rejected, despite political backing. Does not bode well...

I phrased that wrong. I meant to say that in the end, the biggest knock against Berlin 2024 is the almost guaranteed Euro 2024 that a federated state like Germany would be more easily swayed to get behind.

I phrased that wrong. I meant to say that in the end, the biggest knock against Berlin 2024 is the almost guaranteed Euro 2024 that a federated state like Germany would be more easily swayed to get behind.

Oh, agreed then. Not only because of federalism, but because it's football.

Hardly any outcry over WC 2006 and FIFA, while the IOC was the target of criticism ahead of the Munich referendum...double standards, unfortunately.

As much as I would prefer Germany to Host the UEFA Euro 2024 over Turkey, I can see UEFA choosing Turkey, seeing as though they only just missed out on Hosting the UEFA Euro 2016 to France. Turkey is considered the Favourite to Host the UEFA Euro 2024. With Berlin, Germany potentially having a serious Bid that would be considered one of the Favourites and Istanbul providing a Bid that wouldn't be the Favourite, Turkey looks more likely to Host the UEFA Euro 2024. I think it would be wise for Germany not to Bid for UEFA Euro 2024 and Istanbul not to Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics IMO.

Also, to quiet criticism that Turkey gave to UEFA after the 'Controversial' decision to give the UEFA Euro 2016 to France, I reckon UEFA will probably want to take the UEFA Euro 2024 to Turkey, especially since they are Building State of the Art, Modern Stadiums. Also, seeing as though Germany Hosted the 2006 Fifa World Cup and Turkey probably won't Host a Fifa World Cup anytime soon, Turkey would be considered the Favourite to Host the UEFA Euro 2024 IMO.

If Berlin Germany gets the 2024 Summer Games then I would be happy to see the Netherlands get EURO 2024 with Germany hosting the next one in 2028.

A bit of a sensitve topic, but not sure how it can be avoided.

The events of 1936 were 78 years ago. Almost nobody assoicates that Germany with current Germans. But if you re-host the Olympics, there's no way to avoid the subject. I wonder if many Germans wouldn't prefer to let sleeping dogs lie, rather than bringing up the past.; -

The events of 1936 were 78 years ago. Almost nobody assoicates that Germany with current Germans. But if you re-host the Olympics, there's no way to avoid the subject. I wonder if many Germans wouldn't prefer to let sleeping dogs lie, rather than bringing up the past.; -

Of course it's inevitable that should Berlin host again one day, the Riefenstahl pictures will be shown again, but since we can't turn back the clock and make things undone, we'll have to live with that. I certainly wouldn't assume that the IOC members don't want to give the Games to Berlin because of 1936. They'd willingly have handed 2022 to Munich if given the choice, I reckon, and the tragic circumstances of that previous hosting are still much fresher in everyone's mind.

In short, I don't think Berlin 1936 would be a hurdle for Berlin 2024/2028/2032. I would find it slightly awkward though if it was to be Berlin 2036. That's the kind of centennial that doesn't need to be celebrated with another Games...

I can't imagine Germany saying, "We don't want the Olympic Games because we're afraid they will remind people of Nazism and the Holocaust." It certainly didn't stop them from wanting to host in 1972. I don't see why it would now.

Archived