Opening Ceremony Nanjing 2014 YOG

Ok. Just finished watching the opening ceremony and wow. That torch lighting was just so.. anticlimactic. Also the theme went from space-y to colorful-world-united-peace-happiness-of-vibrant-colorness. I thought it would be about the achievements and inventions of China's long history, based on the first moments with the telescopes, but it ended up being really jumpy. But those dangling people, tho. Anyways, it was interesting and quite frankly strange overall, especially when you think about the pressures and sheer man-power used to create all of that.

As always a typical Chinese ceremony of mass proportions and spectacular movements and acts - Olympic scale

Very colourful and executed brilliantly despite the rain.

However. There did not seem to be a story flow to the ceremony, parts seemed a bit odd and kind of lovey dovey cheesy

Flame lighting was a let down.

Athletes parade just seemed really clinical and lame.

Overall as expected a spectacular Olympic opening ceremony, perhaps a bit too soon after Beijing to see a different type of style and a little bit too lovey for me, but enjoyable none the less.

I'm sorry, I know this is just the YOG and shouldn't expect too much. But the cauldron lighting is just terrible. Simply awful. Like a high school sports day with an Olympic theme.

The Athletes apart from some 17 to 18 years olds are pretty much all high school students so what you expect at the Youth Olympics? and the Selfie are very youth as well.

i thought it was a low-rent beijing.

But a low-rent Beijing is still high-rent by most standards. The aerial acrobatics was pretty impressive, and over the numerous scenes they seem to have used a heck of a lot of well-trained performers (and a heck of a lot of time creating costumes, scenery, animated floor projections etc.).

I think the main problem was an inability to distinguish between celebration and showing off. This was apparent in the overall "variety show" feel, but most obviously, of course, in the cauldron lighting, which just made a very awkward transition from teenagers dancing around on top of a bus-thing to a "let's show Sochi how it should have been done" few seconds of ascending fireworks.

I thought the idea of the Youth Olympic Games was that they were to be smaller, on a stricter budget and possible for many countries to hold? An enormous, expensive ceremony like this is the antithesis of the spirit of the Youth Games- so I give it a massive fail. China can hold the real Olympics, they should not have been given this one.

(It was amazing though, except the lighting of the cauldron- but at least the Chinese invented fireworks!)

I just can't get through the OC. Maybe I'm too tired...but I find it too ponderous. I can only take like 10-15 mins at a time and then I have to take a break. All the ideas seem like the throwaway ideas of Beijing -- even though we are spared the parade of athletes. Thank God for that!! But the lighting and camera shots are terrible. Haven't gotten to the aerial acrobatics yet -- but this is definitely produced by one of the rejected companies who tried out for Beijing.

Nothing exciting! After Macau 2007, Beijing 2008, Harbin 2009, Guangzhou 2010, Shenzhen 2011, Haiyang 2012 and Tiajin 2013, it seems that Nanjing 2014 has no more to offer. I can even predict what they will do. And not so different on what South Korea is also doing. They're just over-exposing so much that I don't care about anything held in China or South Korea any more. And it includes Tokyo 2020. -_-

Nothing exciting! After Macau 2007, Beijing 2008, Harbin 2009, Guangzhou 2010, Shenzhen 2011, Haiyang 2012 and Tiajin 2013, it seems that Nanjing 2014 has no more to offer. I can even predict what they will do. And not so different on what South Korea is also doing. They're just over-exposing so much that I don't care about anything held in China or South Korea any more. And it includes Tokyo 2020. -_-

Well, actually, the PyeongChang Handover segment at the Paralympics in Sochi was beautiful and had a very refreshing approach. If they keep the same minds behind that as for the Ceremonies, then I think Korea might do better. These Chinese shows are just getting tired. It's still the same old "Communist" mindset. Altho of course, ex-Commies also staged the very beautiful Sochi ceremonies!

who knows what we'll see at the closing ceremony at rio for tokyo. they might wow us

Didn't see much of the ceremony itself but from the pics it was a hell of a lot better than the Commonwealth Games, though you expect nothing less with China.

Love the cauldron design but agree the lighting was underwhelming. Everyone seems to just go for pyrotechnics now and we've seen it all before,

I was hoping the Chinese would use the YOG for a change of direction- a less is more approach. But No.

Japan is a very different culture and society to the Chinese- and could bring a clean, zen approach to the opening. They also have a fantastic and unique sense of humour and youth style (j pop, anime, manga, harajuku etc). Tokyo could surprise, fingers crossed.

3754920_879571.jpg

funny

A selfie? This is why the YOG is condescending and lame. I blame Rogge.

I doubt it. The Japanese/Asians have a very different tempo/pace from westerners.

Japan can generally be seen as an exception to this rule, as far as East Asia goes. I expect a Japanese Athens 2004 in 2020.

Japan can generally be seen as an exception to this rule, as far as East Asia goes. I expect a Japanese Athens 2004 in 2020.

Hmmm... Nagano was BORING -- both the ceremonies and the Handover segment. I don't see why it should suddenly change. It's that Shinto thing. They do things and ceremonies in a very serene, unmuddled pace. And Japan and Korea have never used western companies for their ceremonies. I don't see why that should change suddenly.

Archived