Poll Shows Opposition To Oslo 2022 Grows

GBModerator

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so 80% of only half a million people in northern Norway don't support the bid. Doesn't seem that surprising, since they must be looking at it that they're not gonna see most, if any, of the direct benefits. And perhaps maybe some are still a little perturbed that Tromsoe 2018 never got put forward.

Still, even 44% of a supportive populace in the far more dense southern half of the country far outweights those 80% negative northerners. The real concern is the other 50% in southern Norway that are still not sure, or downright just against the Oslo 2022 bid.

It's like an slow and painful death for this Oslo Norway 2022 bid it just painful just to watch this like the Glasgow ceremonies was, This is not good news at all for the bid, Once they pull out it will be I told you so it will be an race between Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China I will be right for months now about this race just an question now on when Oslo Norway will pull out it's not an if any more but when.

Kinda expecting an "I told you so" from GCL :/

An "I told you so" for what, exactly. It's not like GCL was saying anything that was of total revelation here, & the rest of us knew absolutely nothing about it. It's been no secret at all that the Oslo 2022 bid has been in trouble for quite some time now over support. We all know this already. So nothing new here until Oslo does, or does not, pull out.

An "I told you so" for what, exactly. It's not like GCL was saying anything that was of total revelation here, & the rest of us knew absolutely nothing about it. It's been no secret at all that the Oslo 2022 bid has been in trouble for quite some time now over support. We all know this already. So nothing new here until Oslo does, or does not, pull out.

Ive been saying it for like since the beginning of the race it will come down to Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan, Sweden and Ukraine bids were jokes and Poland will be out and Norway will be too.

Lviv never stood a chance anyway. So no big "revelation" there. Krakow & Stockholm didn't find it fiscally responsible anymore, especially after the bad PR that was Sochi 2014. So no big surprise there, either. And again, Oslo's troubles aren't in the dark. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to have seen how this race was going to shape up. It's Beijing's to lose if Oslo falters.

Boy you are going to be shocked on July 31 2015 when Almaty Kazakhstan get;s the hosting rights to 2022 Almaty Kazakhstan will be on an low cost games which will help the winter games movement to get back Europe to wanting to host it Beijing China will scare any others from bidding for the games.

Boy you are going to be shocked on July 31 2015 when Almaty Kazakhstan get;s the hosting rights to 2022 Almaty Kazakhstan will be on an low cost games which will help the winter games movement to get back Europe to wanting to host it Beijing China will scare any others from bidding for the games.

Now that's a new spin: Almaty hosting as a motivator for future European bids.

The air in Australia's Alberta must be special - in other countries, it would probably be considered breaking illegal substance laws.

If GCL is correct I will retire from posting here on GB.

Correct on Almaty hosting? careful, there still is a chance for it, despite the odds.

Correct on "frugal" Almaty getting Europe to bid again? You'll have many years on GB to come, no worries.

Only 30% support nationwide is very bad and the numbers are moving the wrong direction. Under these circumstances, I think it would be flat out wrong for the government to support the bid.

Frankly, the IOC should realize that going to a country that doesn't want them (however much potential it has to host) is a terrible idea -- particularly when they've already got a big PR problem.

Actually, he's spewed out that silly European notion before. But anyway, no bid which has received an extremely poor (key word here) preliminary evaluation has gone on to win an Olympics. Therefore, a bid requiring that much work ain't going to be "cheap". The only 'shocked' ones will be the kindegarteners that like to roam around here.

Not China after 2 Olympics in East Asian games in an row they will want to go to an new place in Asia so may as well tick Central Asia off with the only place which could host the winter games there Almaty Kazakhstan, Beijing is only 700km away from PyeongChang South Korea the last host while Almaty Kazakhstan is 3000 Kazakhstan km way from both Sochi Russia and PyeongChang South Korea it could grow the winter Olympics more in Central and South Asia, Almaty is the gateway from Europe to China and India. .

Only 30% support nationwide is very bad and the numbers are moving the wrong direction. Under these circumstances, I think it would be flat out wrong for the government to support the bid.

Frankly, the IOC should realize that going to a country that doesn't want them (however much potential it has to host) is a terrible idea -- particularly when they've already got a big PR problem.

But that PR problem will not be solved by handing 2022 to a country that contributed a lot to the problem when it hosted in 2008, to the contrary. The IOC may not have a choice left if Oslo really pulls out, but if it stays til the vote, Oslo will be elected. Less public support would probably be the lesser of the evils for the IOC there.

Now that's a new spin: Almaty hosting as a motivator for future European bids.

The air in Australia's Alberta must be special - in other countries, it would probably be considered breaking illegal substance laws.

Yep if you fall in the gap between train and the platforms we people of Perth push the trains to make people get out of the gap it's called respect and community.

Let's see, you could have Oslo, with its 30% support. Or you could have the games in Kazahkstan or China where nobody knows what the public support is because they are run by totalitarian dictatorships, where there is no free speech, press, etc.

Nice choice.

Almaty Kazakhstan will be fresh air for IOC PR problems an new place an new culture a democracy ,

Kazakhstan is slightly ahead of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, but behind the German Democratic Republic on the democracy scale.

Yep if you fall in the gap between train and the platforms we people of Perth push the trains to make people get out of the gap

Is there any possible way to make a comprehensible sentence out of that word salad?

Yep if you fall in the gap between train and the platforms we people of Perth push the trains to make people get out of the gap it's called respect and community.

If your what all people from Perth are like then I will just stick to the Uluru and East Coast next time I visit Oz. I see enough not jobs in the US already *cough* Karl Rove *cough*

*nut jobs*

Public opinion support based on Evaluation Commission reports:

WINNER | CITY | COUNTRY

TOKYO | 70% | 67%

PYEONGCHANG | 87% | 87%

RIO | 85% | 69%

SOCHI | 79% | 80%

LONDON | 68% | 70%

VANCOUVER | 58% | 65%

BEIJING | 96%

Tokyo had 47% in Working Group report, so there's still chance for Oslo to boost the support, but I don't really see it...

But that PR problem will not be solved by handing 2022 to a country that contributed a lot to the problem when it hosted in 2008, to the contrary. The IOC may not have a choice left if Oslo really pulls out, but if it stays til the vote, Oslo will be elected. Less public support would probably be the lesser of the evils for the IOC there.

I disagree. It isn't just "lesser" support. They've only got 30% in favor! As Moderator Rob has pointed out, based on his statistical analysis bids with 50% or less support have all been doomed. Bids with 60% or higher were all on relatively equal footing (in other words there's not any discernible advantage to having 90% public support rather than 65% public support).

No, going back to China won't solve the IOC's PR problem. However, the IOC can easily say, "Hey, we didn't really have much of a choice. They were the best available option. And at least we could reuse a few of the 2008 venues." If the IOC foists Olympic Games on Norwegians against their will, I think that has the potential to become a FAR bigger firestorm.

At least the Chinese understand enough to be promising "frugal" Games. None of us really believe that's what they would deliver, but clearly they understand that's what the IOC needs and wants right now or they wouldn't be promising it.

All in all, I'd still say that lousy air pollution and a grossly premature return to China would be better than sending the Games to a country that clearly doesn't want them.

Don't get me wrong, Oslo is by far and away the most appealing option, but only if they can fix those public opinion polls. 30% public support is an absolute deal-breaker if you ask me. Unlike Tokyo, Oslo hasn't righted the ship. They've had months to work on this and the numbers are going the wrong way. I think the will of the people is crystal clear and I think it would be wrong to violate it.

Archived