Possible 2024 Olympic Bid By Mexico

GBModerator

The governor of Jalisco state, by the closing of GDL PanAms in 2011, somewhat declared intentions to bid. Don't know how much they'd need to build and expand but it seems Guadalajara is in better shape than crowded Mexico City atm.

The governor of Jalisco state, by the closing of GDL PanAms in 2011, somewhat declared intentions to bid. Don't know how much they'd need to build and expand but it seems Guadalajara is in better shape than crowded Mexico City atm.

The Olympic requirements are higher than the Pan American Games requirements with all due respect, which will require either renovations or new venues. Guadalajara would need a brand new Olympic Stadium, seeing as though their Pan American Games Stadium only holds 49,850 Seats. Olympic Stadiums need to be around 80,000 Seaters.

Also, Monterrey would be a good Candidate for Mexico.

You're disrespectig who? :blink:

It's OBVIOUS the Olympic requirements are higher than the Pan American Games ones. Nobody said otherwise. Guadalajara's Omnilife Stadium is a football stadium, anyway, and their Olympic Stadium barely had the capacity for the PanAms. As I pointed out, Guadalajara built a lot for 2011 but would need renovations and new stuff to be compelling. Their games weren't planned to be the blueprint of an Olympic Bid.

Mexico City, OTOH, is a major city with facilities and probably the most experience in Latin America, but tons of urban problems to tackle.

Monterrey scores high in Mexico but it's a little behind those two in terms of international recognition and experience.

Less is more in this case. Guadalajara, which informally announced olympic aspirations during their 2011 CC, is a nice city and arguably have the most up to date sports infrastructure in Mexico right now. But they probably would have to invest more resources than other world class cities to expand/build yet another set of venues. This can be a setback in a possible bid.

Next month it'll be 10 years since I was in Mexico, including a few days in Mexico City, but not in GDL or Monterrey.

And in that time, I have not forgotten how horrible Mexico City was (and probably still is).

I wouldn't mind another Mexican Olympics, but first, I guess it will take a few more decades, with North America's turn leaning towards Toronto or any US bid first (or even both, before Mexico comes along again), and the "Latin America" card has just been played by Rio and one day the likes of Buenos Aires, Santiago or even Lima might want to queue up as well.

All this is fake. Mexico has no intentions to bid. It's just a personal point of view from someone who presided the MOC and a few politicians from the right handed party used to rule the country last period when they were governing. Even when economically they can stage the games, they rather concentrate in other social issues than a 15 days party. And that's true, crime at the moment is one of those social issues they've got to solve as soon as possible. The same case for Argentina and Chile.

Anyway, it's be surprising if we get news from Peru, where Lima is changing and improving its infrastructure. But still, with RIO hosting in 2 years from now, it'll be hard for another South American country of from the Caribbean, Central Am or Mexico to host.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived