Petition to dismiss Russia as 2018 WC Host...

Just curious.. are you supporting this petition or are you just sharing it with us as a point of information? Pretty sure a petition (which is looking for 1 million signatures and is currently about 994,000 short of that goal) isn't going to sway FIFA on this matter. Which is not to say there aren't a lot of valid points brought up and maybe Russia doesn't deserve another major sporting event, but did we not know that 3+ years ago? FIFA has bigger fish to fry in terms of moving a World Cup host. There might be a future World Cup moved from its current host site, but if that happens, I have a feeling it won't be Russia 2018.

Just curious.. are you supporting this petition or are you just sharing it with us as a point of information? Pretty sure a petition (which is looking for 1 million signatures and is currently about 994,000 short of that goal) isn't going to sway FIFA on this matter. Which is not to say there aren't a lot of valid points brought up and maybe Russia doesn't deserve another major sporting event, but did we not know that 3+ years ago? FIFA has bigger fish to fry in terms of moving a World Cup host. There might be a future World Cup moved from its current host site, but if that happens, I have a feeling it won't be Russia 2018.

I am supporting it. Even if anyone knew if 3+ years ago, those 18 or so men who made it happen certainly were hoping for a more progressive and enlightened host -- not one reverting to "bullying" and landgrabbing. And if Russia does not recognize the legitimacy of the Kiev regime, etc., etc., then FIFA can very well NOT recognize the "new, thuggish" regime in place in the Kremlin now. A different animal from the one that one 3 years ago. And FIFA has alternative hosts who can fill in 4 years' time. I can name 2 or 3. Besides, if Blatter and FIFA have regretted their choice of Doha 2022, I don't see why they can't have serious 2nd thoughts about 2018. And if need be, they can always cancel it.

I am supporting it. Even if anyone knew if 3+ years ago, those 18 or so men who made it happen certainly were hoping for a more progressive and enlightened host -- not one reverting to "bullying" and landgrabbing. And if Russia does not recognize the legitimacy of the Kiev regime, etc., etc., then FIFA can very well NOT recognize the "new, thuggish" regime in place in the Kremlin now. A different animal from the one that one 3 years ago. And FIFA has alternative hosts who can fill in 4 years' time. I can name 2 or 3. Besides, if Blatter and FIFA have regretted their choice of Doha 2022, I don't see why they can't have serious 2nd thoughts about 2018. And if need be, they can always cancel it.

Us here in England can host it and be ready in 4 years. We have the facilities.

As if FIFA didn't had enough problems already with Qatar and the current issues with Brazil, this happens. I'm glad to not be in Sep Blatter's shoes.

I agree I can't support Russia anymore. Even though the majority of crimeans always wanted to be part of Russia again, the referendum was hold on very dubious conditions. Plus, i'm scared what might happen with the crimean tatar minority now. I hope an ethnic cleansing a la Yugoslav Wars doesn't happen

However Putin's tentacles reach everywhere, even the FIFA. I doubt they will change the host, but it's most likely Ukraine will even try to boycott the qualifiers as protest.

Us here in England can host it and be ready in 4 years. We have the facilities.

As an Englishman, do you really want FIFA's sloppy seconds though. It's the same point I made about the United States and 2022.. I don't want a World Cup hosted by my country (possibly the last one I'd see in my lifetime) to be one where FIFA rejected us in favor of an inferior bid only to later call on the United States to save their asses from the fire. No thank you. Like the United States, England could be ready on a moment's notice to host a World Cup, but would you really want your country's first WC in more than 50 years (and possibly the last one for another 50+ years) to come in that fashion? I know I wouldn't

What is that? I know Russia bullies all the time as well as the USA, so what? Get over it and better use your time to sneak into the political organs of the IOC, FIFA or any other international federation to stop voting for bully countries in the future. This kind of petitions should be done before any ballot, after that the decision is unappealable unless the elected country has the right to withdraw.

Anyway, the Russians were clever enough to assure the WOG and the WC before they did their mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It does not matter, many nations have never hosted. Russia violated international law by attacking Ukraine and forcibly annexing parts of that nation. Why should they get another shot to glorify their nation?

How far could FIFA push it?...Can any country be ready in as little as two years? The only country that could pull it off so soon would be Brazil?...at short notice.

Also would an angry and jilted England FA want the event if suddenly offered...remembering it's bigger than the Olympics logistically?

Archived