New Events

More countries (5) won medala in the first five olynpcics for women's hockey then men's. There is no way the Ioc replaces an actual sport with a farce like synchro skating.

Well, in fairness to synchro skating, figure skating in general is a farce.

More countries (5) won medala in the first five olynpcics for women's hockey then men's. There is no way the Ioc replaces an actual sport with a farce like synchro skating.

Nope.

Men's Ice Hockey; First Five Olympics (starting from Antwerp 1920)

Canada ('20, '24, '28, '32, '36)

Czechoslovakia ('20)

Germany ('32)

Great Britain ('24, '36)*

Sweden ('28)

Switzerland ('28)

USA ('20, '24, '32, '36)

*Both teams were made up of entirely of Canadian born, and/or raised players.

How about ice climbing? LOL. I remember they were supposed to have a house or demonstration or something in Sochi.

Is there any way to do ice climbing or mountain climbing other than a race? These are not sports where speed should be prioritized, and I would hate to see events like these added as a time trial. I don't mountain climb very often, but there is already too much focus on summiting as soon as possible even if you have altitude sickness, IMO. Impatience kills people in these sports.

• Like 1

Is there any way to do ice climbing or mountain climbing other than a race? These are not sports where speed should be prioritized, and I would hate to see events like these added as a time trial. I don't mountain climb very often, but there is already too much focus on summiting as soon as possible even if you have altitude sickness, IMO. Impatience kills people in these sports.

Yes, it is - look at Bouldering. Who climbs the highest, wins. Time doesn't matter.

"Time doesn't matter" = unhappy broadcasters.

Also, it has to come across well on the screens. If people climb up an icy wall/mountain, you need to have camera crew, lights etc as well.

I have no idea about ice climbing competitions, but I imagine the logistics might be complicated.

I don't know much about ice climbing other than they were supposed to do the demonstration in Sochi. So I googled:

http://www.iceclimbingworldcup.org/rules-and-regulations.html

So there are two disciplines, one based on pure speed, the other is judged as to who performs the most difficult routes. And then they choose a combined winner from the two disciplines as well.

I found this article about the ice climbing demonstration at Sochi:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/speed-ice-climbers-at-sochi-games-say-sport-belongs-on-the-olympic-podium-1.1699654

Anyway. I wonder how expensive it is to construct a track.

I also looked up this 'ice cross' or 'Red Bull Crashed Ice' that other people mentioned. Man, I gotta say, this sport seems stupid and dangerous. It's what my husband calls the "Taco Bell-ification" of the Olympics, where you have like 5 ingredients and you just keep mixing them up different ways. Not sure I want to see this in the Olympics... Also hard to imagine the crusty ISU taking this under their wing. Anything for a buck, maybe...

that sounds like a complete, absolute disaster waiting to happen, so i'm in.

I'd like archery biathlon.

yes, Yes, YES. get on that. make that happen, hektor. anyway you can add archery or guns to ski cross while we're at it?

Someone suggest they take the fighting that isn't allowed in Olympic hockey and creat the new sport of ice boxing.

love it, love it. faster's original list was so boring, i'm so glad we're thinking creative in this thread. so ice wrasslin' is not going to work. ice MMA's a no go. but ice boxing isn't bad. i can see that happening.

let's spitball some other great winter/summer crossovers

• snow sprinting (no skis, running in snow. something with snowshoes?)
  • skii-ch volleyball (it's beach volleyball on skiis, or skates!? yes, skates would work nicely)
  • can we get horses on skiis? horses to pull sleds? horse ski cross? no, i don't think this is taking off actually. next.
  • thomas bach, olympic champion, fencing 1976. can we do something with that? fencing on skates, fencing on skiis? fencing halfpipe? biathlon with fencing? eh, someone riff of this for a while.
  • handball hockey? yeah, i don't love it either.
  • table tennis, but... wait for it, wait for it... on ice! make those chinese work for that damn gold.
  • swimming, in very cold water (wetsuits?)
  • wushu on ice

Crashed ice will be in by 2026 I predict.

this sport was such a letdown. barely any crashes, super boring course. can't we send them down the luge track?

teeeeeeeeeeedious. but we already have golf...

good effort people.

• Like 1

if you're just going to follow me around and pick fights with me i'm just going to put you on ignore.

i don't need to school you--a grown ass 60 year old man--in every thread. it's really embarrassing actually and i have way better jokes to make for my growing fan base.

you have nothing but your bitterness so maybe it's time i just left you to it.

• thomas bach, olympic champion, fencing 1976. can we do something with that? fencing on skates, fencing on skiis? fencing halfpipe? biathlon with fencing? eh, someone riff of this for a while.

No as awesome as you might think:

Edited by Fox334

They are apparently developing a short track speed skating version of the Madison. That might actually be fairly interesting.Dito for a team sprint in long track, though I'm not sure how that would work.

Edited by Fox334