New Events

Ok so 12 events were added to Sochi. And talk has already begun about possible new events for Pyeongchang.

From what I've heard while watching coverage the IOC is more inclined to add events that do not add athletes (like mixed relay biathlon and team luge did for instance)

Off the table completely is synchronized figure skating for 3 reasons:

Shallow pool of competitors (Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA)

Huge addition of athletes

The ISU hates it and is putting their eggs in a different basket.

As for what has been said.

FIS:

Replace the team Ski Jumping event with a mixed team event: 2 men off the large hill, 2 women off the normal hill

They are still pushing the team alpine event which I am not sure the IOC will ever embrace

Dual Moguls has been mentioned, probably not going to happen, traditional Alpinist are not too happy that freestyle skiing and snowboarding now have more events

Big Air snowboarding, not sure about this given there is no FIS world championship for this on the women's side yet.

Finally, working on adding women's Nordic Combined to the schedule

ISU

Mass start speed skating

3000m short track

Curling

mixed or 2-person competition, especially since this version is not dominated by Canada, Scotland, Sweden and Norway.

Hmmm...let's see:

Figure Skating:

Synchro might look good on TV, but indeed has a lot of athletes

Team could stay, but should be modified, maybe also with score addition instead of ranking points?

Also, they could leave it at the beginning, but move the individual/couples events all into week 2 and have Short Track in week 1, a bit like at Summer Games with Aquatics in week 1 and Athletics in week 2, although they don't use the same venues. But it would allow the best skaters to compete in the team and then have a week break before their other events.

Skiing/Snowboard:

I think Freestyle and Snowboard are quite saturated for now.

Alpine team has been a World Champs event for years, doesn't require extra athletes, why not? Analogue to the luge relay...

Nordic combined for women...I don't know, there's not yet enough depth for that, if at all. They should focus on female ski jumping more, maybe with a team event there, perhaps with 3 jumpers? Similar to Biathlon, they could have a single team event for each gender, plus a mixed one.

Cross country is pretty well represented in great variety, so is Biathlon.

Speed Skating:

Mass starts will come, I guess.

3000m "short" track sounds a bit strange and I think with limited time in the arena fir both ST and FS, this could be problematic. I know it's on the WC schedule, but wouldn't include it in the Olympics. Or maybe just in Korea to please the hosts.

Curling:

Yeah, why not, if it's not too many additional athletes.

Bob/Skeleton:

I think there's now a combined team event also at their WC, like in luge, maybe that as well?

Luge:

There was talk about women's doubles, but I don't think anytime soon.

Ice Hockey:

Yeah right ;-)

Dual moguls because it doesn't add any athletes = 2 new events.

Mixed doubles curling has a world championship now so I see it being added.

Where did you here about the mixed ski jump?

Mass start will likely be included for both men and women in speed skating.

3000m I am not too sure about. It hasn't been added because there isn't room on the schedule.

Why hasn't the IOC embraced the team event in alpine skiing? I don't see a problem with it, but FIS will submit probably the same proposal meaning it will be likely rejected.

Women's nordic combined doesn't even exist on FIS website so not likely for 2018.

Skeleton/Bobsleigh might push for a mixed relay using a sled in each of the 4 events (not including 4 man bob). This would have left 10 nations this year. This event is held at the world championships.

From what I've heard while watching coverage the IOC is more inclined to add events that do not add athletes (like mixed relay biathlon and team luge did for instance)

Off the table completely is synchronized figure skating for 3 reasons:

Shallow pool of competitors (Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA)

Huge addition of athletes

The ISU hates it and is putting their eggs in a different basket.

You're right about the dominant nations in synchronized figure skating, but there are other countries that have good teams (Russia, Germany). I don't think the ISU hates synchro.

I agree that it is highly unlikely it will be added for 2022 but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it someday.

How about ice climbing? LOL. I remember they were supposed to have a house or demonstration or something in Sochi.

Intoronto. Just after the Singapore YOG, I read an article that talked about combining the relays and team events (swimming, track, ski jumping etc.) into mixed relays like there are at the YOG so that it cuts down on the extra athletes countries bring just for the relay/team events. I have been trying to find it, but can't. Maybe Fox remembers the same article.

The only one I have heard anything serious about modifying has been ski jumping. Because there isn't enough depth in enough countries to justify a women's team event.

Intoronto. Just after the Singapore YOG, I read an article that talked about combining the relays and team events (swimming, track, ski jumping etc.) into mixed relays like there are at the YOG so that it cuts down on the extra athletes countries bring just for the relay/team events. I have been trying to find it, but can't. Maybe Fox remembers the same article.

The only one I have heard anything serious about modifying has been ski jumping. Because there isn't enough depth in enough countries to justify a women's team event.

I remember reading that they wanted to add mixed relays but not removing the traditional single gender ones.

FIS:

Mixed team ski jumping: heavily dislike this idea. IMO would be better to focus on adding women's individual large hill right now, and later work on establishing a women's team event. The depth in women's ski jumping is increasing rapidly.

Team alpine: I very much dislike the team parallel format used for this event. I really wish they would come up with something better. Heck, IMO even their old heat/point based system was marginally better. Racing in parallel over a course that barely takes 20 seconds is completely divorced from what alpine skiers do in their regular events.

Dual Moguls: too similar to moguls IMO.

Big Air snowboarding: do not like. Big air is heading towards becoming exactly like aerials, but on a snowboard, with a smaller jump and with a sketchier judging system. Also, ya, the judging in big air contests tend to be a bit odd.

Women's Nordic Combined: obv won't be in the games in 2018, but nice to see the FIS is finally starting to develop it.

ISU

Mass start speed skating: inevitable. Might even replace the 5000m/10000m at some point (not sure how I'd feel about that). There is room in the schedule so why not.

3000m short track: well, the Koreans will be happy. Not sure how that will fit in the schedule now that there is a team event in figure skating, though.

They are floating around the idea of having a mixed team pursuit in long track. Can't overstate how stupid I think that is.

Curling

mixed doubles: I like, especially if they hold it before the "normal" curling competitions as a way to introduce people to the game.

Bobsleigh/Skeleton

Team event: call this petty, but I can't get behind an event that is part of two disciplines at once.

In general I'm not a fan of replacing team events with mixed team events.

Edited by Fox334

Looks like there are a handful of women's nordic combined athletes.

Gianina Ernst started for Germany in Sochi in ski jumping, think she's half-Swiss.

Most of those are so young they could grow into it and in 8 years make a proper case for Olympic inclusion still. But with this total number now, it's not even worth thinking about 2018 IMHO.

I think the IOC wants a more concrete plan and path to include Nordic Combined so that it does not take the same path as ski jumping..

I need to see a mass start speed skating event before I judge it. I have always liked the idea of an individual pursuit in speed skating.

And since we are adapting track cycling races into speed skating, how about a Madison or Points Race in short track? :P

I think the IOC wants a more concrete plan and path to include Nordic Combined so that it does not take the same path as ski jumping..

I need to see a mass start speed skating event before I judge it. I have always liked the idea of an individual pursuit in speed skating.

And since we are adapting track cycling races into speed skating, how about a Madison or Points Race in short track? :P

Well the mass start is similar to track cycling;s mass start. Apparently Blondin is good at it.

FIS to push for Alpine nations team event at PyeongChang 2018

The International Ski Federation (FIS) has said it is keen to introduce a nations team event to the Alpine skiing programme at the 2018 winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.

Alpine skiing currently awards five Olympic gold medals apiece for men and women in downhill, super-G, super combined, giant slalom and slalom. Super-G was the last new discipline added to the Olympic programme in 1988 and FIS secretary general Sarah Lewis said support is growing for a nations mixed team event awarding an 11th gold medal.
“Now we are confident that...they (the International Olympic Committee) are very open and supportive of including the nations team event,” Lewis told the Reuters news agency. “It's now matured to a level where it's really a highlight of the World Championships...many people thought it was actually the best event. So we have a strong lobby behind it to say it's time to include it on the Olympic programme.”
A nations team event has been part of the World Ski Championships since 2005, with the top 16 nations in the FIS rankings competing in a knockout format. Lewis said that US Olympic broadcast partner NBC is keen on bolstering the Alpine Olympic schedule.
“It's quite easy to bring in if perhaps you've got a bad forecast and can't do your speed events,” she added. “NBC, who are the IOC's most important rights holders, will say that the Alpine skiing program in the second week is a little bit lightweight.”

How about team snowboard cross?

Hmmm...let's see:

Figure Skating:

Synchro might look good on TV, but indeed has a lot of athletes

Team could stay, but should be modified, maybe also with score addition instead of ranking points?

Also, they could leave it at the beginning, but move the individual/couples events all into week 2 and have Short Track in week 1, a bit like at Summer Games with Aquatics in week 1 and Athletics in week 2, although they don't use the same venues. But it would allow the best skaters to compete in the team and then have a week break before their other events.

I don't think Synchro will be added anytime soon. On the figure skating forums I follow the discussion has been that perhaps the IOC is looking to remove women's ice hockey because of the lack of competitiveness (USA & CAN are the only two countries to win gold or silver since it's inclusion). But, the general consensus, even amongst diehard figure skating fans is that Women's Ice Hockey won't get the boot, and certainly not for Synchro. There are a lot of reasons why it won't be included, not the least of which is the number of athletes, but it also doesn't look really spectacular on TV. I doubt NBC has much interest in doing away with Women's Ice Hockey in favor of Synchro.

The Team Event got a lot of positive press and while there are some tweaks necessary in the scoring to keep it from being over after the Short Programs, as well as to not burn out the skaters who compete in the first week of the games, I think it will stick around. I do not, for one second, think NBC would be okay with the individual figure skating events starting on the Thursday or Friday of the first week. Beyond that, I suspect that moving all of the Short Track events to the first week would negatively impact them and perhaps reduce the number of events in which many skaters in that discipline could compete.

I'm just a singular voice but I really don't think that competing in the team event was that detrimental to the pairs or mens individual events. The one change I would absolutely make would be the substitution rule - instead of allowing substitutions in only two disciplines, allow the teams to substitute as many disciplines as they have qualified multiple entrants. That would help reduce the fatigue factor, not that I think it was really that much of an issue.

wouldnt that be red bull crashed ice.

If/when it comes under the domain of the ISU, I am sure it will be called skate cross for legal reasons. And just looking it seems to also go be ice cross downhill or downhill ice cross.

I don't think Synchro will be added anytime soon. On the figure skating forums I follow the discussion has been that perhaps the IOC is looking to remove women's ice hockey because of the lack of competitiveness (USA & CAN are the only two countries to win gold or silver since it's inclusion). But, the general consensus, even amongst diehard figure skating fans is that Women's Ice Hockey won't get the boot, and certainly not for Synchro. There are a lot of reasons why it won't be included, not the least of which is the number of athletes, but it also doesn't look really spectacular on TV. I doubt NBC has much interest in doing away with Women's Ice Hockey in favor of Synchro.

The Team Event got a lot of positive press and while there are some tweaks necessary in the scoring to keep it from being over after the Short Programs, as well as to not burn out the skaters who compete in the first week of the games, I think it will stick around. I do not, for one second, think NBC would be okay with the individual figure skating events starting on the Thursday or Friday of the first week. Beyond that, I suspect that moving all of the Short Track events to the first week would negatively impact them and perhaps reduce the number of events in which many skaters in that discipline could compete.

I'm just a singular voice but I really don't think that competing in the team event was that detrimental to the pairs or mens individual events. The one change I would absolutely make would be the substitution rule - instead of allowing substitutions in only two disciplines, allow the teams to substitute as many disciplines as they have qualified multiple entrants. That would help reduce the fatigue factor, not that I think it was really that much of an issue.

Cough Sweden 2006 Cough

If/when it comes under the domain of the ISU, I am sure it will be called skate cross for legal reasons. And just looking it seems to also go be ice cross downhill or downhill ice cross.

Cough Sweden 2006 Cough

Whoops! Well, still... Out of the five Winter Games since Women's Ice Hockey was added, 1 out of 10 silver & gold medals to a country not named Canada or USA is not that great of a success rate.