BBC's Coverage of Sochi 2014.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the BBC have nicked Channel 4's idea of an evening comedy programme. Apres Ski will be hosted by Alan Davis, hope its as good as The Last Leg

The last leg is world class, but I prefer BBC over Channel 4 and ITV, as BBC has no commercial breaks.

I found two hidden BBC Olympic channels, Im watching snowboarding, figure skating on the other side, My Olympics has begun

I know, me too. BBC is brilliant.

I noticed the BBC have nicked Channel 4's idea of an evening comedy programme. Apres Ski will be hosted by Alan Davis, hope its as good as The Last Leg

And then they go and put it in exactly the same slot as The Last Leg - I know which I'll be watching.

Quite surprised that some of today's coverage wasn't on BBC2, especially as the slope style does have quite a bit of British interest. The pretence the games begin with the Opening Ceremony was gone with London so need to hide it away now - or at the very least they could have done a highlights show tonight which could also double as a preview for the games, something we don't seem to get anymore.

On the whole though the BBC coverage will be great and the website is pretty good too. My only complaint is it doesn't look like you can rewind live events as we could with London, and it would have been nice if they'd kept the combined schedule/VOD page from London which enabled you to click on any session and catch up.

And then they go and put it in exactly the same slot as The Last Leg - I know which I'll be watching.

Quite surprised that some of today's coverage wasn't on BBC2, especially as the slope style does have quite a bit of British interest. The pretence the games begin with the Opening Ceremony was gone with London so need to hide it away now - or at the very least they could have done a highlights show tonight which could also double as a preview for the games, something we don't seem to get anymore.

On the whole though the BBC coverage will be great and the website is pretty good too. My only complaint is it doesn't look like you can rewind live events as we could with London, and it would have been nice if they'd kept the combined schedule/VOD page from London which enabled you to click on any session and catch up.

Replays / highlights were shown on Red Button in the evening (one channel of the day's action, one channel of previous winter olympics- but I assume both will be used for Sochi from Saturday), though it doesn't seem to have been advertised in advance.

See below re live rewind.

Where are the BBC red button channels on sky? I've looked, but can't find them :oops:

Are you making sure to be tuned to a BBC channel when you press Red? If you are getting the BBC Red Button menu, including the Olympic Video option, but then aren't getting the actual videos, you may need to do a full retune.

Hmm, I tried BBC today and didn't find a way to rewind a live event. Am I wrong here, or are they not offering this option for Sochi?

They seem to be relying on broadband & TV advances since 2012. In theory, this service should be available via "Connected Red Button" (i.e. basically the web streams sent direct to your TV).

So they're not doing the streams as channels like in London? It's options from the red button like at Wimbledon?

They have cut back the red button. I think there may be two red button channels. Neither of which will be in HD.

They have live HD streams on the web, but there is no catchup (so far, hopefully this will change).

So in a nutshell, its a step backwards so far, its nothing like what they offered for London in terms of TV coverage / number of live channels / HD / online web catchup (replay).

Hmm, I tried BBC today and didn't find a way to rewind a live event. Am I wrong here, or are they not offering this option for Sochi?

I done a rewind. You can do it.

The BBC website was a mess yesterday. They promised catchup in various places but failed to deliver and there was only about 5 minutes of video coverage. Not exactly the "most comprehensive digital coverage ever" as they promised.

On red button, I watched catch up, even though I saw it live lol.

The BBC's focus now is on Connected Red Button - i.e. streams through the internet delivered directly to the TV. This is something most Freeview HD and Freesat HD boxes and smart TVs can support, along with cable, but isn't supported by Sky boxes or Sky's NOW TV box, which has the iPlayer and news app but not BBC Sport.

For those who don't know, the build up to the Opening Ceremony for Sochi 2014 starts at 15:30 on BBC2 HD. The actual ceremony at 16:14 on BBC2 HD. Thought I would post this just in case some thought that there was no Build up at 15:30.

The BBC website was a mess yesterday. They promised catchup in various places but failed to deliver and there was only about 5 minutes of video coverage. Not exactly the "most comprehensive digital coverage ever" as they promised.

There was an issue yesterday (6 Feb) over the indexing of the BBC Sochi coverage. The catch-up was actually all there, if you knew where to look, but they weren't exactly making it easy to find. I hope they'll tidy things up on Saturday.

Was it a direct OBS feed, or BBC's broadcast with commentary (showing more UK?).

If you're replying to me; they originally had the OBS feed, but then changed to highlights with a UK bias, still linked from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/2014

Interesting that, because of the time difference, BBC Red Button highlights coverage will be starting at 4am, from tomorrow (Saturday), as a prelude to the day's live events.

The TV schedule page http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26081397 now also includes proper details of the evening Red Button catch-up.

The BBC did very well today - not skipping the issues but not dwelling on them at all, both in terms of the presentation and the commentary. And funny how much better the commentary of a sports event is when it's done by a sports broadcaster and an Olympian, not a newsreader and a DJ. One of the greatest mysteries of our time is how on earth anybody thought the London ceremonies needed Trevor Nelson.

Is it just me or is not possibly to watch the opening cemony again on the website yet?

Will we able to watch sessions again all the way through like in london?

Also as a sky viewer do I get to see both red buttons or just the one feed?

Sorry for the basic questions but if anyone can help answer would be grateful :)

There was an issue yesterday (6 Feb) over the indexing of the BBC Sochi coverage. The catch-up was actually all there, if you knew where to look, but they weren't exactly making it easy to find. I hope they'll tidy things up on Saturday.

Where are they hiding the catch up then from Friday, because I can't find it anywhere?

The BBC did very well today - not skipping the issues but not dwelling on them at all, both in terms of the presentation and the commentary. And funny how much better the commentary of a sports event is when it's done by a sports broadcaster and an Olympian, not a newsreader and a DJ. One of the greatest mysteries of our time is how on earth anybody thought the London ceremonies needed Trevor Nelson.

Trevor Nelson is a Hackney lad, and the London OC did feature a lot of dance music, so it sort-of made sense. However, Danny Boyle was right to emphasise that commentary should be kept to a minimum- the BBC team should have had a prepared script, giving just the minimum information necessary, rather than ad-libbing. DEAR BROADCASTERS: AN OLYMPIC OC IS NOT THE SAME AS A PARADE. (I watched Sochi on the "No Commentary" Red Button channel, and found it immensely enjoyable).

Is it just me or is not possibly to watch the opening cemony again on the website yet?

Will we able to watch sessions again all the way through like in london?

Also as a sky viewer do I get to see both red buttons or just the one feed?

Sorry for the basic questions but if anyone can help answer would be grateful :)

The OC is currently on http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26086214

I'm not sure yet how long the full catch-up for any given event will last on the BBC website- see below.

Sky viewers should get both Red Button feeds- the second should be available via the blue button menu after you've brought up the first.

Where are they hiding the catch up then from Friday, because I can't find it anywhere?

If you really mean from Friday (today in the UK) then see above.

If you mean Thursday, there are various highlight videos accessible from http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/2014 (scroll down past the headlines)

Archived