5 hours ago, FYI said:

Far be it for me to try & make a case for Texas, but here it is nontheless:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/amp/Toyota-contributing-to-Texas-economy-11058773.php

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/04/09/oil-industry-leads-texas-economic-improvement-trend/100129360/

Plus, IMO what would make Texas more attractive than California to the average American, is it's much lower cost of living, which is really the crux of the matter here.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask where you live?  

Of course Toyota is gonna contribute to any state's economy that it's in, it's a huge global company, with a product that many people buy.  Incidentally, Toyota still has a large presence in southern California... its aforementioned design center, port facilities and parts distribution centers are here and of course it still has field offices in SoCal.

Economics is not an exact science; it really is all just conjecture.  Economists predict economic upturns and downturns all the time, but we won't know for sure until after the measurement period.  For example, the media around Christmastime always says "Economists predict that more people will be spending money this X-mas shopping season!" and then after X-mas, the numbers prove otherwise and then the media says "Economists say X-mas spending wasn't as robust as they thought it would be..."  So, we won't know about Texas' economy in 2017 until 2018, really.

I know this is anecdotal, but 4 or 5 years ago, my cousin and her husband thought to move to Texas; she is a nurse, and her husband is an IT guy.  A prospective employer in Dallas had them fly over and visit the city and take a look around---and they HATED it.  They stayed there almost a full week, so it wasn't like they were just there overnight.  They made it a point to drive around the city, and they didn't like it at all.  I asked them if they thought it was worse than Phoenix, but apparently they've never been to Phoenix.  Anyway, they didn't like the environment in Dallas---the relative lack of nature nearby (they're big hikers), no beach, nowhere to go for day trips (it's not like they could go to an equivalent to Santa Barbara or San Francisco for a weekend)... so my cousin's husband decided not to take the job.  They stayed in LA, and they're happy for it.  

Again, many media articles make the claim that there's a mass exodus from California, but the population numbers prove otherwise.  And, I live here, and I see many out of state plates in driveways and apartment complexes.  They clearly aren't visiting, they are transplants.  And yes, I see many Texas plates, as well as other states' plates.  

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Funny, so then how is L.A. suppose to be "America's bid" when you guys don't even get most of the country. Oh, the irony in that one, to say the least. 

Besides, what's not to get about L.A. It looks to be pretty clear to most of the country already.

Your statements have proven my point.

LA is not like the rest of the US, and I think you'd only understand that if you lived here or stayed here for an extended period of time. 

Maybe not to the extent of Barcelona vs. the rest of Spain... because if you think that people in Barcelona are like the typical "Spaniard," you are highly mistaken.  Catalonians have their own culture and even their own language.  They are "Spanish" in the sense that they are part of the nation of Spain, but they are essentially a completely different ethnic group.

But I digress.  

2 hours ago, ejaycat said:

LA is not like the rest of the US, and I think you'd only understand that if you lived here or stayed here for an extended period of time. 

Maybe not to the extent of Barcelona vs. the rest of Spain... because if you think that people in Barcelona are like the typical "Spaniard," you are highly mistaken.  Catalonians have their own culture and even their own language.  They are "Spanish" in the sense that they are part of the nation of Spain, but they are essentially a completely different ethnic group.

But I digress.  

No, I don't think you've proven anything.  I keep hearing this narrative that LA represents America and at the same time, LA is different than the rest of America.  And that's part of the identity of LA is that they think they can have it both ways.  Not to mention where you're telling me that I can't really understand any of that unless I've spent a good time of time in LA.

So what is it about LA that makes it so different and unique from the rest of the United States?  Yes, we all know about Calexit, although that's born out of political ideals and comparisons to Scotland and later the UK moreso than being about cultural differences.  Why you would make a comparison to Barcelona and Catalonia is a little ridiculous.  As you noted, they do have their own language and culture and very much do separate themselves in many ways from the rest of Spain, not unlike Quebec and Canada.  I've never heard Los Angelinos talk that way and that the idea of seceding from the US has gained steam in recent years, again that's more a political vehicle than a cultural one, especially with the election of Trump.

I still scoff at this notion of "you don't get us and we don't get you" as if that somehow defines LA.  I remember an old basketball coach once saying in a press conference "maybe our identity as a team is that we have no identity."  Maybe that's how I'm supposed to perceive LA.  I get that there are stereotypes and notions about LA that Angelinos are trying to get rid of, but this is the Olympics we're talking about here.  A strong case can be made about how the city has changed in the past 3 decades, but the city is hardly an unknown to the IOC and if the LA2024 folks are banking on the evaluation committee coming to LA and thinking "OMG, I had no idea what LA is all about!", I'm not sure that's going to happen.  New buildings and infrastructure sure, but again, let's not pretend they know nothing about the city.

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

Interestingly enough Baron has actually lived in LA and had no idea that rail serves just about every Sports Zone/Venue. Yet Quaker thinks the IOC members will be no stranger to LA. FYI used its a great place to visit yet missed that the long standing phrase about LA is a terrible place to visit but a great place to live. He's missing "Los Angeles is the face of the world today and of Our nation, tomorrow". If Quaker has missed the idea that Californians, and in general people of the west coast, think of themselves as the newer, better America, then he is obviously not from the West. But Baron is and pretty much anyone from the West knows this. He'd be lying through his teeth if he denied it and any self respecting California native would know it too.

Holy arrogance, Batman.  And I'm from New York, speaking of places where people can be thought of as arrogant, and I've played that card many times here.  Good for Californians that they THINK they're the newer, better America.  Doesn't actually make it so.

First off, let's not base anything on what baron does or doesn't know.  Even you know that by know.  There's a lot of "well this person thinks this and that person thinks that" in this post.  But here's the question.  ejay is telling me that LA is not really like the rest of the US.  You're basically telling me "no, LA is part of the US, and the best of it for that matter."  I mean, that's adorable that you think that and feel free to secede from the United States if that'll make you feel better about yourselves.

I know more than a few people from LA (and as established, you yourself do NOT live there), some transplants and others who have been there for their whole lives, and I've never gotten that type of attitude from them.  So this smells like a steaming pile of bullshit.  If Angelinos and Californians in general have this mindset that you're better than the rest of the country, good for you, but try selling that notion to the rest of the country.  And if that's really how they feel, then enjoy Calexit and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

5 hours ago, RuFF said:

Interestingly enough Baron has actually lived in LA and had no idea that rail serves just about every Sports Zone/Venue. 

That was 1984-87; before any of the present subway lines were even open.  And of course, since I have no great plans of returning to live there, I can't be bothered to know where the metro lines go. "LA" and "subway" are just antagonistic concepts to me.  Sorry, LA. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

UK tourists to US may get asked to hand in passwords or be denied entry

British travellers to the United States face the uncomfortable choice of handing over personal information, including social media passwords and mobile phone contacts, or running the risk of being denied entry to the country, under a new “extreme vetting” policy being considered by the Trump administration.

LA24 swimming against a tide of stupidity.

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

I'm not exactly sure how you miss it. The very concept of CalExit revolves around it. The state virtually runs as a country. 

Yes Herpres.. everyone is missing the point, apparently except for you.  How's that acid trip working out for you?

Even if that's true, last I checked, it is still the UNITED STATES Olympic Committee backing this bad.  It represents the actual country of the United States, not the virtual country of California.  And even though I know you'd mention the size of the respective economies, note that France has a much larger population than California.

I love how you think you can have it both ways (and think it's endearing that that's somehow a part of their identity).. LA is a part of America, but it really isn't and it doesn't want to be.  They represent the entire country, but they're separate.  They think they're the "best" of America, but no one else actually thinks that.

Oh yea, and if there's any truth to that link Rob posted - as if the Trump presidency hasn't already screwed things up enough, ask the USSF how that worked out for them with the World Cup bid - then LA's bid is doomed.  Through no fault of their own, but doomed nevertheless.

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Oh yea, and if there's any truth to that link Rob posted - as if the Trump presidency hasn't already screwed things up enough, ask the USSF how that worked out for them with the World Cup bid - then LA's bid is doomed.  Through no fault of their own, but doomed nevertheless.

Ah, but this

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/us/sanctuary-states-immigration.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fus&action=click&contentCollection=us&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

will trump Trump's more draconian immigration policies.  ;)

18 hours ago, ejaycat said:

But I digress.  

And still 1992 Barcelona was a full Summer Olympic Games representating ALL SPAIN. Unless my memory is wrong or we're living in another reality, Catalonia is still politically part of Spain (And was part of Spain in 1992). They may be a different nation culturally, but in a full political recognition Catalonia is still part of Spain, the Catalonian athletes still compete for Spain at the international sport events and Barcelona's soccer game is still competing in La Liga and for "La Roja". If by tomorrow they make a referendum for independence and won, then maybe we can discuss as Catalonia "the independent state and sole Catalan NOC", otherwise this cultural reason is just a missing point.

Equal happened with Quebec/Montreal and Canada, and even Munich/Bavaria with a full Germany or Padania-Piedmont/Turin with a full Italy. Bavaria has a more distinguised culture and a longer history of independent nation (Even in religion aspects as deep hard Catholics they are opposite to the Northern Lutherans) comparing to California, or how about Northern Brazil, with a more diverse culture related to African-Indigenous roots comparing the European southern side of the country (Including Rio de Janeiro, which was the 2016 Olympics from Brazil).

This lame discussion of California and LA as being "wide different" culturally to USA is just a ridiculous argument to put in consideration, because: a. California is still part of the USA, b. the USOC is actually pumping and supporting the Olympic bid and c. LA is still dependant of Washington D.C. affairs especially related to security and approval of budget (Regardless if the bid is "planned").

When Calexit came as a FULL FACT and California became a FULL recognized independent state with a sole NOC inside the IOC, then you can talk about how "California is different to US and bla bla bla".

The thing with 2026 (& 2028 for that matter) is that Truffmp will no longer be in office by then anyway. So it's a moot point really. The real issue for the U.S. with Truffmp is really 2024, cuz he could potentially (dread the thought) still be in office by then.

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

The lacking of critical thinking post of the year. Nobody is contesting that LA/California are not parts of the US not that the USOC represents America. And by your own post you recognize that there may be Cultural differences. Tha the cultural difference of the West includes a thought that they're the face of a new and or better America isn't pie in the sky, it's just a different culture of the United States. All the other bologna you and Quaker are pushing are skewing the lines for some the sake of being intelligent but clearly, you're not.

Of course there are cultural differences from almost every nation of the West, that's not denying the reality. I mean, Brittany for France, full Italy, Spain... The point is not denying that point. My full criticism related to that is how you and other LA cheerladers are using the cultural differences as a new point of the narrative or excluding the actions of the US government, when in reality, it's just a blank statement. Do you think France isn't using the current elements of multiculturalism as an approach, like they did? Or how London or even Rio didn't use in their respective bids? That shows NOTHING new related to the "allegedly LA narrative", regardless of you or any other fans want to push as "innovative" or "highlight". If any case, your posts tends to choose empty rhetoric to compete counter arguments.

And coming from you - The lacking of critical thinking post of the year is a great honor LOL.

Tha the cultural difference of the West includes a thought that they're the face of a new and or better America isn't pie in the sky, it's just a different culture of the United States

Tell me just one thing of difference related to this point in a complete different approach from Los Angeles in comparative of Paris, London or Rio bids, when they celebrate equally the diversity and cultural differences (Just recently, Paris brings Nobel Prize Winners from Asia and Africa speaking highly). Hence my criticism of that argument. At least use a different view instead that rancid approach :D

1 hour ago, FYI said:

The thing with 2026 (& 2028 for that matter) is that Truffmp will no longer be in office by then anyway. So it's a moot point really. The real issue for the U.S. with Truffmp is really 2024, cuz he could potentially (dread the thought) still be in office by then.

And still, there's just the first step of the bid. Remember the wall of Mexico? Or the repeal of Obamacare? Just a classic tantrum by him and the bid can end. This is the good reality with Trump... There is still a long way from now to the official race.

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

I'm sorry it hurt your feelings that people of the West view themselves as the new frontier, but if you pick up a history book you'll find that the idea is sewn into the fabric of the West. As far as your but it's still part of America bull crap nobody contested that, and nobody said Californians want to exit or even don't see themselves as members of this Union. But that doesn't take away that many in the west may feel they're a part of something bigger, and by virtue that they're from a better America. The Mayor is saying it himself, "The face of the world today, and of our nation tomorrow." What do you think he means? That LA and the US are with the times? Or that LA is ahead of the rest of America? I'm sorry that bugs you, but it's quite unfortunate for you because whether you buy into it, agree or not, it's just the way people of California think, and if what the states produces is anything to go by, I'd venture to say they're right. 

Wow, you're trolling extra hard today.  And possibly tripping on something a lot stronger than acid.

I don't care how people of the West view themselves or what the mayor is saying.  Saying something doesn't actually make it true in the eyes of the rest of the country.  Good for them they THINK they're a part of something bigger and better.  If that self-confidence makes people in the West feel better about themselves, well whoop-dee-freakin'-doo for them.  Oh, and *nobody* said Californians want to exit?  Well then why is Calexit a thing in the first place?

Doesn't bug me or hurt my feelings that LA is that high on itself.  I don't care.  I do find it very amusing though that you keep shoving these concepts in my face and are very butthurt that I won't bow to LA's supposed superiority.  The government and financial capitals of this country are not in the West.  They're in the East.  And they're not leaving there anytime soon.  And that's not what we think.  That's just simple fact.  Don't like that?  Then push ahead with Calexit and see if the rest of the country misses California.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuFF said:

The lacking of critical thinking post of the year. Nobody is contesting that LA/California are not parts of the US not that the USOC represents America. And by your own post you recognize that there may be Cultural differences. Tha the cultural difference of the West includes a thought that they're the face of a new and or better America isn't pie in the sky, it's just a different culture of the United States. All the other bologna you and Quaker are pushing are skewing the lines for some the sake of being intelligent but clearly, you're not.

Yes, it's called arrogance.  If that's how Angelinos think, then apparently they're not just known for their smog, but they're known for their smug as well.  Even if that's how people out West think of themselves (and I'm still not sure that's as strong a thought there as you want it to be), it doesn't actually make them the face of America or the face of a new America.  More than 3/4 of this country lives in either the Eastern or Central time zone.  If the other 1/4 (or however much of the Western United States you're talking about) wants to think they're different, doesn't mean they represent the face of anything other than themselves.

• Like 2

..not sure i can identify with all this stuff about "not getting" the rest of the country, i love the rest of the country and i like everywhere i go. every part of this country is unique and a lot of fun and i could see myself living most everywhere i go.

...just wanted to put out there that this "smog" thing can be a a real thing now and again if the conditions are right....we are sitting in a giant low basin surrounded by mountains after all! But smog and all that bad ozone business has declined about 85% since the 70s......just saying. Also, because we are on the pacific we get a fair amount of early haze which sometimes is confused with smog.....when it's mostly just marine layer stuff. i know the stereotypes will persist, and there is truth in their origin, but times and air quality have changed dramatically in LA..

40 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Too bad, so sad. Don't know that I give 2 fks about how you feel or think about it. 

For not giving 2 fks about Us, you responded asap and even if indirectly, you care about us. There must be a masochist feeling in you or clear alienation.

I guess Elie Wiesel is right: "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference, because hate means caring".