Paul, there's a different between trying to argue your case & then being a total d!ck about it (which as Quaker just point out, Ruff "prides himself at being at d!ck", those are Truff's very own words). And it's not just me & Quaker, but recently, MANY other members are finally seeing first-hand tRuffs true offensive colors.

Yeah, tRuff can sound "articulate & intelligent" when they want to be, but the moment others have just as valid & articulate arguments to offer, Ruff gets very patrozining & insulting bcuz they can't then handle the counter arguments & lose "control of the conversation". If you've been following this very thread these past 17 months, then you'd see that.

But after all that, if you still can "respect" tRuff for what they truly are, then sorry to say, then that really starts to reflect something negative about you. But I guess when someone "apologizes" for something, & then still does the very act that they're apologizing in the very next instance, well, I guess that should speak for itself then.

7 minutes ago, RuFF said:

I have failed to control the conversation? Are you sure about that? Haha. The most active thread why? Please.

Could it be because anytime Paris does something, you have to post about it here?  Hey, they mentioned the sun, they're stealing that from us!  I'm surprised you didn't offer commentary here when they announced they had some youth initiatives.

The majority of posters on this site speak English as a first language and many are from the United States.  No kidding much of the discussion centers around LA, especially for all the histrionics of with the USOC from when they first announced they were seeking a bidder.  If you want to think it means something that this is the most active thread, go right ahead.  Again, congratulations on being such a successful troll.  I'm sure you're very proud of that.

Yes another hurdle for LA2024 and the USOC.

The Antidoping officials will not back down on Russia's state sponsored doping even if it costs LA the Olympics saying " a clean playing field is more important to me than a home playing field.”

NY Times Reporting on the "Clashing Agendas"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/sports/clashing-agendas-antidoping-officials-vs-us-olympics-leaders.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0 

27 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

Yes another hurdle for LA2024 and the USOC.

The Antidoping officials will not back down on Russia's state sponsored doping even if it costs LA the Olympics saying " a clean playing field is more important to me than a home playing field.”

NY Times Reporting on the "Clashing Agendas"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/sports/clashing-agendas-antidoping-officials-vs-us-olympics-leaders.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0 

It's a shame for the LA folks that there are outside forces are play with things like this.  But yes, add this onto the pile of things that could work against the USOC in this cycle, much as Sion might have been sunk in a similar fashion back in 1999.

This was already an issue last summer against L.A. (but people have forgetten all about it as of late, ever since Trump became POTUS) when that new Russia "lady" got elected onto the IOC & said that she was going to make it "her mission" to make sure that the U.S. 2024 bid is unsuccessful. At the rate things are going against L.A., they'd be extremely lucky to get "consolation prize" 2028 handed-over to them without a fight, & should thank their lucky stars for it, too.

LA has gone from a formidable competitor to an underdog within days.

All it had to do was stay the course and go big at the end.

Then enter Trump and the wild 30 days that have followed his swearing in.

It needs to execute a perfect crash landing at this point.

Paris, thanks to Trump of all people, just had the scales immensely tipped in its favor.

Then there is Russia and the anti doping and it's crazy how America's strongest candidate city is essentially a punching bag at this point.

If it wins it will be the goddamn Oscars of 2017 all over again.

2 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

LA has gone from a formidable competitor to an underdog within days.

All it had to do was stay the course and go big at the end.

Then enter Trump and the wild 30 days that have followed his swearing in.

It needs to execute a perfect crash landing at this point.

Paris, thanks to Trump of all people, just had the scales immensely tipped in its favor.

Then there is Russia and the anti doping and it's crazy how America's strongest candidate city is essentially a punching bag at this point.

If it wins it will be the goddamn Oscars of 2017 all over again.

Eh.  Paris was likely the favorite in all this from the start.  LA could have said and done everything right (which for the most part they are, IMO), had none of these distractions, and still potentially lost out to Paris.  On the other extreme, I don't know that I'd consider LA a punching bag.  Not the most impossible thing that they could win, and I don't just say that because of all the craziness we've seen in the past year, sports or otherwise.

In short.. I don't think the odds of LA winning now as compared to 4 months ago probably haven't shifted quite as much as it seems.

If the travel ban affects LA's chances it's a self inflicted wound and I'd have no sympathy. It'd be a little bit of karma.

If the anti-doping investigations affect LA's chances then the IOC is a bigger mess than anyone expected and the US is better off without the Games.

And of course another element that's already been forgetten here too, is the whole U.S. led FIFA shakedown. That's still has probably left some in the international sports world with a bitter aftertaste. Seems the outside factors that brought down Chicago 2016 are going to be at play once again here for L.A., too.

11 hours ago, Rob. said:

If the travel ban affects LA's chances it's a self inflicted wound and I'd have no sympathy. It'd be a little bit of karma.

If the anti-doping investigations affect LA's chances then the IOC is a bigger mess than anyone expected and the US is better off without the Games.

You make it sound like LA or its LA2024 bid was behind it.

"Self inflicted" ???

Wtf?

6 hours ago, FYI said:

And of course another element that's already been forgetten here too, is the whole U.S. led FIFA shakedown. That's still has probably left some in the international sports world with a bitter aftertaste. Seems the outside factors that brought down Chicago 2016 are going to be at play once again here for L.A., too.

That would be another interesting point of reference. In this part, USA did the right thing, but considering UEFA really dropped the first threat, it will be interesting to see if the impact is still relevant.

5 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Wow. These are competing studios.

No Paramount Pictures??? Lol

totally biased and bitter gripe: It costs them nothing to release a statement of support, and they can pretend to be loyal Californians while in reality they are moving their productions to other states to take advantage of tax breaks and subsidies they've won from other states/provinces. The film studios are trying to win over California and LA into giving them the same subsidies they get from New Mexico, Louisiana, etc. That way they get to have their cake and eat it too w/ the cheaper costs of Albuquerque and the convenience of LA.

I wish they would stay in LA. They hate filming in middle America, and the feeling is mutual. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my time volunteering with prison inmates when I was in university more than working with the reality tv crew I had to deal with this summer in Alaska.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nacre said:

totally biased and bitter gripe: It costs them nothing to release a statement of support, and they can pretend to be loyal Californians while in reality they are moving their productions to other states to take advantage of tax breaks and subsidies they've won from other states/provinces. The film studios are trying to win over California and LA into giving them the same subsidies they get from New Mexico, Louisiana, etc. That way they get to have their cake and eat it too w/ the cheaper costs of Albuquerque and the convenience of LA.

I wish they would stay in LA. They hate filming in middle America, and the feeling is mutual. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my time volunteering with prison inmates when I was in university more than working with the reality tv crew I had to deal with this summer in Alaska.

Filming in LA is up actually.

8 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Filming in LA is up actually.

That's my point. The biggest selling point for Los Angeles is that it is the center of the film and entertainment industry. Even for productions filmed outside of LA, the people making the film/show/documentary are mostly coming from Los Angeles. LA is where the industry wants to do its stuff.

But the film studios will go wherever they think they can make the most money. In the recent past they moved productions to whichever place would give them the best bid for tax breaks. They played one state against another to win good deals. And now that they have won big tax concessions from California they are moving back.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fi-film-tax-brown-20140828-story.html

The major film studios only support Los Angeles and California as far as they can make money using them. If LA 2024 can get some money or services out of them then great, but I don't expect a whole lot of selfless volunteerism.

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

LA and NYC are really where the major studios (and their conglomerate parents are based).  The corporate decisions are probably made in NYC; but the execs in Hollywood pick and greenlight the movie projects.  

And it's from Hollywood/LA that the major talents behind a Hollywood-financed production are OK'ed and assembled because that is where the Guilds are hqrtred.  For example, the Writer's Guild, SAG, ASCAP,  the Musician' Guild, etc., etc.-- the main voting blocs of the Academy.  This is like the int'l sports federations are hqtr'ed in Zurich, Lausanne, etc., but the mother ships (the IOC and FIFA) are also located there.  

Where the movies and TV series are actually filmed, is as noted, where the locale services the story; and where the studios will get the best bang for their $$.  Then, esp. for the big epics, post-production work is distributed all over the world -- even though Dreamworks is in Hollywood; Pixar is in no. California; and Skywalker SFX are also in No. California.  

In short, a LA-LA-lAND or even a Great Wall or X-men movies are all global projects by the time they are all tied up and packaged and released.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

21 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Probably because it's got nothing to do with the Paris or LA bids - it has it's own thread in news.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 5:24 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

LA and NYC are really where the major studios (and their conglomerate parents are based).  The corporate decisions are probably made in NYC; but the execs in Hollywood pick and greenlight the movie projects.  

And it's from Hollywood/LA that the major talents behind a Hollywood-financed production are OK'ed and assembled because that is where the Guilds are hqrtred.  For example, the Writer's Guild, SAG, ASCAP,  the Musician' Guild, etc., etc.-- the main voting blocs of the Academy.  This is like the int'l sports federations are hqtr'ed in Zurich, Lausanne, etc., but the mother ships (the IOC and FIFA) are also located there.  

Where the movies and TV series are actually filmed, is as noted, where the locale services the story; and where the studios will get the best bang for their $$.  Then, esp. for the big epics, post-production work is distributed all over the world -- even though Dreamworks is in Hollywood; Pixar is in no. California; and Skywalker SFX are also in No. California.  

In short, a LA-LA-lAND or even a Great Wall or X-men movies are all global projects by the time they are all tied up and packaged and released.  

Regardless of NYC or LA offices calling the shots, or where along the process, LA is involved,  the heads of all four of those signed off and spoke and publicly endorsed and confirmed their collaboration with the bid.

So whether shot in LA, edited in Dubai, and Marketed in China for a a Warner Brother's project, the head of that company publicly declared their support and their role in the bid.