3 hours ago, FYI said:

The world expects MUCH more from the United States of America - "the leader of the free World". 

We're getting tired of that title and the USA. We don't expect MUCH more anymore. We just want you to leave the rest of us alone. But hey, the rest of your post is correct

Sincerely,

The Free World

"We're" getting tired? I'm sure some feel like that, but you obviously don't speak for everyone. You Canadians are so "tired" of us & want to be left "alone" but yet a lot of you stlll visit here & quite a few of you actually become citizens of the U.S. &/or live here with green cards. So apparently it can't be all that bad as some of you guys claim. It seems that you have a chip on your shoulder for whatever your hostile reason. But that's your prerogative, I suppose. But hey, just keep it Canada, though. 

Sincerely, 

"America"

21 minutes ago, FYI said:

"We're" getting tired? I'm sure some feel like that, but you obviously don't speak for everyone. You Canadians are so "tired" of us & want to be left "alone" but yet a lot of you stlll visit here & quite a few of you actually become citizens of the U.S. &/or live here with green cards. So apparently it can't be all that bad as some of you guys claim. It seems that you have a chip on your shoulder for whatever your hostile reason. But that's your prerogative, I suppose. But hey, just keep it Canada, though. 

Sincerely, 

"America"

I expected nothing less. I have lots of American friends and they at least know that the criticism is aimed at their political class, not them.

But your example works just as much in reverse. Lots of Americans here for tourism, seeking citizenship and residency.

The world aren't tired of the American people, but their leaders and media being dicks to the rest of the world and their endless pointless wars and it's sad that they feed that stereotype that Americans are like their leaders...until you come along someone who likes to brag about being "the leader of the free world"

Just an opinion

51 minutes ago, Ansem said:

until you come along someone who likes to brag about being "the leader of the free world"

Just an opinion

In case you didn't notice, I put that in quotes. So it's not that I was "bragging" about it. So don't paint me with your "typical American" brush, since that couldn't be further from the truth.

As a matter of fact, another American a while back pretty much labeled me as "unpatriotic" for the simple fact of them classifying me as not "supporting" American bids. So word of advice - before you jump the gun, don't assume things of others bcuz of your generalizations.

I expected nothing less. I have lots of American friends and they at least know that the criticism is aimed at their political class, not them.

That's not true at all. If your posts exchange with others in the FIFA 2026 thread are any indication, you have a chip on your shoulder not only with our political system, but against Americans in general as well - with remarks like; "shouldn't you be voting for Trump right now", & "people like you give Americans a bad reputation" & "you Americans should 'learn' how to be humble", etc - those don't sound to be against our political system, but attacks in general against Americans. You even do it here, with your snarky "I expected nothing less". So perhaps you need to re-evaluate that incorrect assessment of yours. 

"Just an opinion".

But your example works just as much in reverse. Lots of Americans here for tourism, seeking citizenship and residency.

Good for you guys. But those numbers pale in comparison.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

In case you didn't notice, I put that in quotes. So it's not that I was "bragging" about it. So don't paint me with your "typical American" brush, since that couldn't be further from the truth.

I noticed. My criticism was aimed at that very quote and the political class saying it, not you unless you work out of the white house.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

As a matter of fact, another American a while back pretty much labeled me as "unpatriotic" for the simple fact of them classifying me as not "supporting" American bids.

Oh they should lighten up, I don't support Calgary 2026 and I'm hardly unpatriotic.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

That's not true at all. If your posts exchange with others in the FIFA 2026 thread are any indication, you have a chip on your shoulder not only with our political system

I'd reduce that to foreign policies. What the US do within it's borders is none or any outsider's business.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

but against Americans in general as well - with remarks like; "shouldn't you be voting for Trump right now", & "people like you give Americans a bad reputation" & "you Americans should 'learn' how to be humble", etc - those don't sound to be against our political system, but attacks in general against Americans. 

It's easy to take my comments out of context but a thorough reread would show that no everyone likes their country to be put down, sure I reacted but against that individual who was doing the same aka being a total dick at putting down other countries. Don't take it so personal and I promise to take it less personal myself

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Good for you guys. But those numbers pale in comparison.

Pale in Comparison is a bit of an exaggeration... Stats shows more Americans cross north then in reverse and as for citizenship, Immigration Canada website crashed for a week because so many Americans tried to find out how to become citizens. To be fair, Trump + Bush were the main factors

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Pale in Comparison is a bit of an exaggeration... Stats shows more Americans cross north then in reverse and as for citizenship, Immigration Canada website crashed for a week because so many Americans tried to find out how to become citizens. To be fair, Trump + Bush were the main factors

Isn't the whole Tampa/St. Pete area and parts of the Florida panhandle just swamped with the "snowbird" Canucks?  Who knows how many more retire to Mexico and/or the Caribb islands, esp. Bermuda, the Bahamas?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

11 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Isn't the whole Tampa/St. Pete are and parts of the Florida panhandle just swamped with the "snowbird" Canucks?  Who knows how many more retire to Mexico and/or the Caribb islands, esp. the Bermuda?  The Bahamas?  

I don't have that data for the Caribbean or Mexico but I know they account for around 500k in 2014 and there was 3.5M visitors in Florida that year spending a total of $4.4B in that economy. It started to shift further south in places like Mexico, Costa Rica and the Islands. Besides, they have to come back to Canada and live home between 4-6 consecutives months (depending on the province) or they lose their access to universal healthcare.

Turks and Caicos Islands might become a Canadian province in the future which would be a major shift if that happened

14 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So silly, ejay.  That was like 50 years ago and you know that's NOT tinged with a particular message!   

I was being facetious of course.

But kind of at the same time, pointing something out.  I was raised Catholic but am now atheist with some Zen Buddhist leanings.  We choose to attach meaning to something that we don't have to attach any meaning to.  Whether it's a scarf worn to be fashionable or a head covering worn for religious purposes, it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

And that particular picture is open to interpretation.  The Kennedys were Catholic; look at the books they're holding, they might be Missals.  This could've been a picture of them taken on their way to or from Mass.  Pre-Vatican II, women entering a Catholic church had to have their head covered, but the type of covering didn't matter---hats, veils, or scarves could have been worn.  My assumption is that a veil worn with a wedding dress just isn't an accessory, it's probably from when women had to cover their heads while entering a church.  Look at what little girls wear for their First Communion; they wear veils because traditionally, they had to because they were entering a church and receiving a Sacrament.  

6 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

My assumption is that a veil worn with a wedding dress just isn't an accessory, it's probably from when women had to cover their heads while entering a church.  Look at what little girls wear for their First Communion; they wear veils because traditionally, they had to because they were entering a church and receiving a Sacrament.  

Without getting into some long-winded debate here, that's precisely my point.  There's a time and place for everything and declaring what your beliefs are.  And if Christian women are/were doing that, well, they are practicing it in their predominantly X'tian countries where it is the norm, just as moslem women can wear all sorts of tents and canvases their faith demands, in their countries.  In short, I'd respect this woman more if she had the discretion to publicize her faith in the right venues and times.  It's just kinda off-putting to have someone in your face every time saying, "I'm moslem, I'm moslem"?   Who da f*ck cares -- and just look at all the pushback happening now or what manifested itself in the polls in November.  So, she should not have been surprised.  Or more, "Wake up, honey, it's a new world out there, and learn to nuance it."  

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Oh they should lighten up, I don't support Calgary 2026 and I'm hardly unpatriotic.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's easy to take my comments out of context but a thorough reread would show that no everyone likes their country to be put down, sure I reacted but against that individual who was doing the same aka being a total dick at putting down other countries. Don't take it so personal and I promise to take it less personal myself

Exactly - not everyone likes their country to be put down, whether you're doing it against it's political system or not, some people will always react. Especially when the people criticizing are doing it in snide, condescending manner. There's more sublte ways to do it. And FYI, this is Gamesbids. Nothing that's ever said here is NOT taken "personally". But you'll learn that the longer you hang. :lol:;)

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Is it? And what 'stats' are you speaking of, cuz some of the ones that I've seen show the exact opposite. And why did I just know that you were gonna come up with the website crash. Has it happened since then? No - some people were just reacting to an election that they didn't agree with. Very doubtful that they expanded on it & actually proceeded to become "Canadians".

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Isn't the whole Tampa/St. Pete area and parts of the Florida panhandle just swamped with the "snowbird" Canucks?  Who knows how many more retire to Mexico and/or the Caribb islands, esp. Bermuda, the Bahamas?  

Exactly - & not just the panhandle & Tampa Bay, but ALL of Florida & the Carolinas. And yep, many more flock to those other areas you mention as well.

I'd say that the few Americans that go to Canada are mosty ones that live near the border. While Canadians just flock all over the rest of the continent. So the claim that "more Americans cross north" is very dubious. Canada is not exactly a destination where many people would consider it as a typical vacation spot. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I don't have that data for the Caribbean or Mexico but I know they account for around 500k in 2014 and there was 3.5M visitors in Florida that year spending a total of $4.4B in that economy. It started to shift further south in places like Mexico, Costa Rica and the Islands. Besides, they have to come back to Canada and live home between 4-6 consecutives months (depending on the province) or they lose their access to universal healthcare.

That's exactly my point. I don't see Americans spending $4.4B in the Canadian economy, so the claim that they cross more north is dubious at best. And if it wasn't for those losing their "universal healthcare", I wonder how many of them would even return to Canada. But then again, how many Canadians actually come to the U.S. to receive medical care. And that precisely the type of things that I'm getting at. You hardly see that kind of activity in 'reverse'. 

54 minutes ago, FYI said:

I'd say that the few Americans that go to Canada are mosty ones that live near the border. While Canadians just flock all over the rest of the continent. So the claim that "more Americans cross north" is very dubious. 

Theses are the 2015 stats (yeah it's wiki but the footnotes have the official stats from both governments)

Americans visiting Canada: 22,057,860

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Canada

Canadians visiting the US: 11,671,122

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_United_States

58 minutes ago, FYI said:

Canada is not exactly a destination where many people would consider it as a typical vacation spot. 

Depends what you're looking for. Shocker, we're not a tropical paradise but Montreal is North America's Paris and I think Ontario/Toronto gets the lion share of visitors.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

I don't see Americans spending $4.4B in the Canadian economy, so the claim that they cross more north is dubious at best.

Since I debunked what's above, it's safe to assume that Americans spends more overall.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

And if it wasn't for those losing their "universal healthcare", I wonder how many of them would even return to Canada.

Retirees? Fair point. None-retirees, unless they are very rich, very doubtful

1 hour ago, FYI said:

But then again, how many Canadians actually come to the U.S. to receive medical care.

Less than 1% and for non-life threatening procedures. Our system is based on needs and priorities, not on how much you have in your wallet. Those who can't/won't wait can choose to go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with quality

1 hour ago, FYI said:

And that precisely the type of things that I'm getting at. You hardly see that kind of activity in 'reverse'. 

Because unless you live in a province for around 6 consecutive months and are a resident/citizen, we charge just like the US. The reverse is pointless. It has nothing to do with quality

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Theses are the 2015 stats (yeah it's wiki but the footnotes have the official stats from both governments)

Americans visiting Canada: 22,057,860

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Canada

Canadians visiting the US: 11,671,122

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_the_United_States

.Ummm, not according to these articles. And as a matter of fact, one of them states an 11.9 million figure of U.S. travel to Canada. So most likely you have your numbers 'reversed'. Especially when the second article (& from a Canadian website "to boot") states that out of every two Canadians that travel to the U.S., only ONE American does to Canada.

Plus, I'm sure out of the Canadian U.S. Tourist numbers, a large portion of those are just little day jaunts merely to cross the border. Detroit/Windsor is a good example of this. Especially when you consider that half of all the Canadian numbers are from Ontario. So it's not as significant.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/01/news/la-trb-britain-france-americans-favorite-destination-mexico-most-20131220

http://globalnews.ca/news/2174209/number-of-americans-travelling-to-canada-reaches-7-year-high/

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Since I debunked what's above, it's safe to assume that Americans spends more overall.

You haven't "debunked" anything. As you can see, other sources can refute your (wiki) claims. I don't buy whatsoever that Americans visit & spend more in Canada than Candians visit & spend in the U.S. 

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Depends what you're looking for. Shocker, we're not a tropical paradise but Montreal is North America's Paris and I think Ontario/Toronto gets the lion share of visitors.

Like I just said above, a lot of those Ontario numbers are Detroit/Windsor factors. But does it really mean anything in the bigger picture? Not likely. When I visited San Diego one year, my friends & I were like, "hey, why don't we go to Tijuana for the afternoon, since it's right across the border". Doesn't mean though, that was our intended destination. It was just for an aside. 

As far as the "Paris of North America" goes - that's all cute, fine & dandy if let's say you live in New York or New England (where you could make the trek much easier). But if one lives in California, Arizona or Texas, I'd much rather go visit the real deal at that point. Where the expense of getting there probably wouldn't be all that much more, if not better if you find a great deal on airfare.

My 2 cents on the whole muslim talks.

Western world interference in their affairs made it possible for religious nutjobs to take control of those nations. Iran was a secular democracy until the British and Americans organized a coup against it's democratically elected president and install a tyrannical monarch as the "Shah". All that just so Iran wouldn't nationalize their oil reserves. Iran was VERY different before Ayatollah Komenei took over and started the Islamic Revolution.

The more we isolate them, antagonize them and interfere in their affairs, the more power we're giving to those religious nutjobs. We need to leave them alone for real so we stop being the argument justifying those nutjobs existence. There's lots of Muslim nation who don't impose the Islamic veil like Lebanon.

That's why it's very important to make the difference between muslims and radical Islam because we have a heavy hand in those radicals being here today. We leave them alone enough and their own people will revolt against those religious nutjobs, just like the Arab spring in Egypt and Tunisia.

5 minutes ago, FYI said:

.Ummm, not according to these articles. And as a matter of fact, one of them states an 11.9 million figure of U.S. travel to Canada. So most likely you have your numbers 'reversed'. Especially when the second article (& from a Canadian website "to boot") states that out of every two Canadians that travel to the U.S., only ONE American does to Canada.

Plus, I'm sure out of the Canadian U.S. Tourist numbers, a large portion of those are just little day jaunts merely to cross the border. Detroit/Windsor is a good example of this. Especially when you consider that half of all the Canadian numbers are from Ontario. So it's not as significant.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/01/news/la-trb-britain-france-americans-favorite-destination-mexico-most-20131220

http://globalnews.ca/news/2174209/number-of-americans-travelling-to-canada-reaches-7-year-high/

You haven't "debunked" anything. As you can see, other sources can refute your (wiki) claims. I don't buy whatsoever that Americans visit & spend more in Canada than Candians visit & spend in the U.S. 

Like I just said above, a lot of those Ontario numbers are Detroit/Windsor factors. But does it really mean anything in the bigger picture? Not likely. When I visited San Diego one year, my friends & I were like, "hey, why don't we go to Tijuana for the afternoon, since it's right across the border". Doesn't mean though, that was our intended destination. It was just for an aside. 

As far as the "Paris of North America" goes - that's all cute, fine & dandy if let's say you live in New York or New England (where you could make the trek much easier). But if one lives in California, Arizona or Texas, I'd much rather go visit the real deal at that point. Where the expense of getting there probably wouldn't be all that much more, if not better if you find a great deal on airfare.

Ok... Statistic Canada numbers are wrong.  You're free to spin this anyways fits your arguments.

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Ok... Statistic Canada numbers are wrong.  You're free to spin this anyways fits your arguments.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Like I said, I won't argue with you on that. No point at all

Okay, so I just also looked at that "Statistic Canada 2015" figures (& from the actual WEBSITE itself, not from "wiki") & the header reads "Travel by Canadians to the United States" (NOT the other way around) total the 22 million that you quoted.

So I was right, those numbers were reversed, so the 11.6 million number then is obviously travel from the U.S. to Canada. So whoever put that information into wiki did it backwards. And that's why wiki is NEVER a reliable source. So I'm not "spinning" anything. :rolleyes:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/arts39a-eng.htm

6 minutes ago, FYI said:

Okay, so I just also looked at that "Statistic Canada 2015" figures (& from the actual WEBSITE itself, not from "wiki") & the header reads "Travel by Canadians to the United States" (NOT the other way around) total the 22 million that you quoted.

So I was right, those numbers were reversed, so the 11.6 million number then is obviously travel from the U.S. to Canada. So whoever put that information into wiki did it backwards. And that's why wiki is NEVER a reliable source. So I'm not "spinning" anything. :rolleyes:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/arts39a-eng.htm

-Homeland Security says this about 2015

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2015/table28

Canada: 13,408,292

Footnote disclaimer: The majority of short-term admissions from Canada and Mexico are excluded. (but we don't know what they means by short-term)

-The discrepancies might be on how both countries calculate their hits at the border, which makes sense. So that 12.6M from the US to Canada on Statistics Canada website is for 1 night or more.

Oh well, I stand corrected. Seems the figures are closer than we both thought

11 hours ago, RuFF said:

The undertones of this conversation are revealing. If anything I think this post projects old man Barons disdain toward Muslim Culture. Anybody with 1/2 a brain can see how flipping this conversation around would make Baron a prime example of what he dislikes. He's a reflection of what he dislikes and that's pretty sad. 

So, watcha gonna do about it, foolish and ignorant hypocrite?  :P

I say you can start by F*cking, yourself, pendejo!   :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Having lived in both Canada and the USA, I think Canadians are much more patriotic than Americans. But it is expressed very differently: my Canadian friends love all things Canadian (except for Celine Dion) while Americans tend to focus on the power of the USA. For example winning the most medals at the Olympics.

As to the "leader of the free world," it is only fair to point out that isolationist conservatives in the USA explicitly do NOT want to be burdened with leading the world. They want to let places like Latin America, Africa and the Middle East deal with their own problems. (For example, in trying to cut off contact between the USA and Muslims.) I have no interest in helping out Trump or his degenerate supporters, but being too interventionist is a charge even I won't make towards American isolationists.

And finally, there is no Paris of North America and never will be. But I think Quebec City is more of a French city than Montreal. J'aime le Quebec.