Sochi 2014 - Venues Updates Gallery

world atlas

I must say the Sochi Olympic Park is coming together beautifully, but I'm still skeptical of the Stadium's progress. Still looks like there is a lot of work to be done, and its now the home stretch. The only other major Olympic venue I can think of in the past that was still under construction at this point was Athens -- but even then the roof was finished.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if they had some sort of live-view of the stadium so we could see how slow/fast they are putting it together now.

And see the progress of the hole. hahaha, that's if they have one - Im sure they do.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09/17/13/putin-sees-delays-russian-olympic-preparations

Putin sees delays in Russian Olympic preparations
By Denis Dyomkin, Reuters
Posted at 09/17/2013 2:13 PM | Updated as of 09/17/2013 2:13 PM

SOCHI, Russia - Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered officials to quickly overcome failures and delays in preparing the Sochi Winter Olympics and said he expected nothing less than a 'brilliant Games".

The Black Sea resort city and Olympic village still resemble a construction site five months before the start of the Games on which Putin has staked a great deal of national and personal political prestige. Work is still under way on venues and other infrastructure.

Inspecting preparatory work, Putin told a senior government minister to report to him every two weeks.

He gave no details of the delays and problems, except to express consternation over recent flooding at Sochi airport, which has been upgraded by a company owned by Oleg Deripaska, one of Russia's top businessmen.

"Despite the large amount of work that has been done - it's a simply colossal amount - there are ongoing failures and delays which in general are normal for such a big job," Putin told local officials in Sochi.

"But I want to draw your attention to the start date for the Games and the fact that we cannot move it ... in order to cope with this problem, you need to work very effectively."

Putin sees hosting the Olympics as a chance to show the world what Russia can achieve more than two decades after the Soviet Union collapsed. The cost of hosting the Games is expected to rise to $50 billion dollars, much more than expected initially and more than any other Olympics.

Making clear he would not accept failure, Interfax news gency quoted Putin as saying: "The result expected by us is a brilliant Games."

CONSTRUCTION SITE

Passengers had to wade through ankle-deep water at Sochi airport earlier this month during heavy rain.

"Who is responsible for Sochi airport?" Putin asked. "We already have complaints about passenger services.

The airport terminal, which is expected to have to cope with up to 3,800 passengers an hour during the Games, has been updated at a cost of about $200 million by Basel Aero, a company which is part of a group owned by metals tycoon Deripaska.

Deripaska is one of a number of businessmen who have been helping Russia prepare for the Games.

Putin told Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak to report regularly.

"I myself will come here more often and I ask you, even though you are sitting here almost all the time, to report to me every two weeks," Putin said.

The president fired a top Russian Olympic Committee official, Akhmed Bilalov, during a previous visit to Sochi in February when he became angry over the rising costs and construction delays.

He also urged officials in February not to let corruption push up the cost of the Games.

Putin faces calls for a boycott over a new law banning "gay propaganda" among minors, part of a conservative course taken by Putin as he tries to rally support following the biggest protests since he rose to power in 2000.

There is also a security threat from an Islamist insurgency to the east of Sochi, concerns about environmental damage and allegations that some workers have been underpaid.

Thirteen official sites are being built, including a stadium that can house 40,000 people, plus facilities for ice hockey, skiing, snowboarding and skating. About 120,000 visitors are expected during the Games.

At least half the money for the Games is coming from the state. Private Russian businessmen or state-controlled companies are making up the rest, Russian Olympic officials say.

(Writing by Timothy Heritage; Editing by Douglas Busvine and Ralph Boulton)

It's something about the first games of a new presidency, Rogge had to deal with he fallout from the 2002 bid scandal, then the ice skating farce. Now Bach has to deal with all this in Sochi, if he takes his full 12 years, organisers of the 2026 games may do well to remember the curse. :lol:

I have to say that for all the problems associated with Sochi hosting, ugly ice venues is definitively not one of them. The Figure Skating / Short Track and Ice Hockey venues are both stunning.

It's something about the first games of a new presidency, Rogge had to deal with he fallout from the 2002 bid scandal, then the ice skating farce. Now Bach has to deal with all this in Sochi, if he takes his full 12 years, organisers of the 2026 games may do well to remember the curse. :lol:

Well my long term guess is that Harbin is a possibility for 2026 - so you might well be right that it would be controversial like its 2008 predecessor.

• 2 weeks later...

!!! Is there an aerial view of this, it looks like it's off axis in the construction pic. Also, where did you get the prototype pic from? If it is the cauldron, it looks very similar to the tower in Doha, only a leaning version.

Archived