What was wrong with the Closing Ceremony?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Good one!

I think everyone is well-advised not to expect too much of an Olympic closing ceremony. They are always afterthoughts of the "big ones", the opening ceremonies, and their focus is on giving the athletes an opportunity to party. Usually, there are also pretty cheesy and cheapish-looking. So if anyone expects to be dazzled and entertained on a very high level, please don't switch the closing ceremony on! ;)

:lol: Good one!

I think everyone is well-advised not to expect too much of an Olympic closing ceremony. They are always afterthoughts of the "big ones", the opening ceremonies, and their focus is on giving the athletes an opportunity to party. Usually, there are also pretty cheesy and cheapish-looking. So if anyone expects to be dazzled and entertained on a very high level, please don't switch the closing ceremony on! ;)

I agree with this. The Closing can be almost anything as long as people have fun -- which I'm sure they will. Expectations are generally low. I think London's CC will be fine -- and perhaps pleasantly surprising.

Parts of the Opening did seem more appropriate for the Closing.

Can't wait

If you ask me personally, I can wait for the closing of the Games. They are going by so fast again, more than one half is over now. I still think that two weeks for 302 medal events is far too little time, especially bearing in mind that the FIFA World Cup takes four weeks.

If you ask me personally, I can wait for the closing of the Games. They are going by so fast again, more than one half is over now. I still think that two weeks for 302 medal events is far too little time, especially bearing in mind that the FIFA World Cup takes four weeks.

Ah, yes, I take that back. Am looking forward to the Closing Ceremony, but don't want the games to end. I'm really not into sport usually, but I have been absolutely loving these Olympics.

I get nothing done during the Olympics, so it is probably a good thing they are not any longer.

I hope it will be entertaining, but I certainly do not expect it to be inspiring.

On another note, I just watched the cauldron lighting for the past three summer games, and I hate to say it, but London's cauldron lighting now seems so low key.

I'd start with watching the ceremony for my part. And those Brazilian children really seemed a bit unnecessary for me. They could very well be part of the hangover.

They will...

I'm preparing myself for your average concert with literally one or two props.

McCartney will come back, do another sing along, and his poor embarrassed daughter will turn more shades of red.

Will only be turning in for Rio's part, if at all.

:mellow:

That part where Jacques Rogge said "I declare the London Games closed". :(

Very true. And I expect a big round of the traditional "Ooooooooh"s when he says it. ;) I have the impression that while the Londoners weren't too enthusiastic before the Games, they are now totally enjoying this and won't like to see the Games leave their city. Nice to know they still have the Paralympics as "dessert".

Archived