News bits

With the "gallimaufry" thread in the bid folder, thought I'd start a new one.

USSA reps enjoy unique visit to Pyeongchang

Slew of delegates visit the Olympic Winter Games site of 2018

Christopher Kamrani, The Park Recordparkrecord.com

Posted: 06/22/2012 04:01:23 PM MDT

If you're already looking forward to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, don't expect a centralized urban hub like Salt Lake City. The town of Pyeongchang, according to Tom Kelly, is the size of Heber City.

It's safe to say these Games will be about the mountains, and not just the host city.

"It's not close to any venue and it's not on the way to any venue," said Kelly, the vice president of communications for the United States Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA). Kelly recently returned from a 10-day visit.

Pyeongchang is the capital city of a region in South Korea.

"It's all mountains," Kelly said. "The mountains are quite different from here; they're smaller, there's not a lot of elevation on them, but they're all pretty tree-covered, so there's no above-tree-line stuff. It's all forested mountains. And they're rugged. Very, very rugged." .......

http://www.parkrecor...sit-pyeongchang

Glad to hear POCOG has the right idea about making this a Games for athletics and not for glamour.

http://www.asiaone.c...626-355427.html

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be prepared with focus on the best competition environment for athletes, rather than the glamour of an international event, its chief organizer said.

"The Olympics are not about the glitz and glamour of hosting an international event," Kim Jin-sun, president of the 2018 Olympics organising committee, told The Korea Herald.

"Rather, I believe that what I should do is to offer athletes the best possible environment so that they may bring about their best possible performances." .....

Can't wait for the Olympics in Korea! The Koreans know how to put on a good show! :)

PS: my first post on Gamesbids in the last...4-5 years? lol

Edited by Andrew8

Can't wait for the Olympics in Korea! The Koreans know how to put on a good show! :)

PS: my first post on Gamesbids in the last...4-5 years? lol

Wow it's Mr. Andrew... However long it's been, it's been a while. Good to have you back... B)

• Like 1

yeah! so much has changed on these forums, but good to see all the old members still hanging out over here! I shall try to keep up!

• Like 1

We know one star won't be back for 2018:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2012/07/136_114301.html

Kim Yu-Na to retire after 2014 Sochi Olympics

Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater Kim Yu-na said Monday that she will hang up her skates after the 2014 Winter Games.

“I will retire after the Sochi Winter Olympics. Although the Vancouver Games were my final destination in my childhood, I have extended it to Sochi,” the 21-year-old said in a press conference at the National Training Center in Taeneung, northern Seoul.

Kim also said that after the 2014 Olympics, she will run to become an International Olympic Committee athlete member. She was key in bringing the 2014 Winter Games to PyeongChang.

Her announcement comes two weeks after saying in China that she will soon decide her future and after nearly two years during which she remained silent on the matter.

Kim, who won gold at the 2010 Vancouver Games, sat out last season because she could not find the motivation or find any new goals as an athlete. Instead, she skated in corporate-sponsored ice shows and appeared in numerous advertisements including a beer commercial that raised several eyebrows.

She said that the time off gave her a chance to reflect on her future, which as it took until last week, is a telling sign of how difficult a decision it must have been. And she spoke openly about her fears and pressure.

“Although I was under pressure to live up to high expectations, I thought I may regret my decision if I quit here,” she said. “ I will make a fresh start as a national skater, not an Olympic champion. I want to be seen as a national team member, not the Olympic champion.”

Kim said that training with young skaters in Taeneung during her hiatus motivated her to extend her career.

She was the first female figure skater to achieve the grand slam of winning the Grand Prix Final, Four Continents Championships, World Championships and the Winter Olympics. Kim will begin performing at a competitive level this fall, but there has been no decision on coaching staff and a competition schedule as yet.

“I have just decided to continue skating, so I have not decided on coaching staff and the program (for this upcoming season).

“As I sat out last season, I cannot participate in the Grand Prix events. I will search for international competitions when I become fit.”

The skater, who took gold with a world record in Vancouver, said she is currently out of shape and will focus on physical training, while trying to achieve the fitness levels required to compete.

Pretty damn good, I'd say. She's an obvious contender, though it's always possible they may want to go with someone older- maybe a blast from the early past like Kim Ki-Hoon, the first Korean winter gold medalist. But Yu-Na would have to be there in 2018 in some form.

I'm not surprised the opening and closing ceremonies will be taking place in Hoenggae/Hoenggye (had no idea it was spelled like this in English, I had called it Hwaengye on these boards in the past). When I visited the Pyeongchang area before the 2014 vote, I was told by the locals that much of the Olympic activity would probably take place in or near Hoenggae, as it is closer to alpine activity (whereas Alpensia is more Nordic sports and sliding). I guess it can only help the ski jumpers, that their main venue can now concentrate on sports (and practices) rather than theatrics.

In other news, it's also good to hear that the Korea Forestry Service has reviewed the committee's plan to use Jungbong as the downhill venue and has given its approval.

And for taichi: "Next year along with the Master Schedule, the new logo and slogan will be unveiled for the new branding and following that, the base plans for the ceremonies and the Torch Relay will come in 2014. Olympic logo merchandise will be launched in 2015 after the main branding and look of the Games are in place."

I'm not surprised the opening and closing ceremonies will be taking place in Hoenggae/Hoenggye (had no idea it was spelled like this in English, I had called it Hwaengye on these boards in the past). When I visited the Pyeongchang area before the 2014 vote, I was told by the locals that much of the Olympic activity would probably take place in or near Hoenggae, as it is closer to alpine activity (whereas Alpensia is more Nordic sports and sliding). I guess it can only help the ski jumpers, that their main venue can now concentrate on sports (and practices) rather than theatrics.

In other news, it's also good to hear that the Korea Forestry Service has reviewed the committee's plan to use Jungbong as the downhill venue and has given its approval.

And for taichi: "Next year along with the Master Schedule, the new logo and slogan will be unveiled for the new branding and following that, the base plans for the ceremonies and the Torch Relay will come in 2014. Olympic logo merchandise will be launched in 2015 after the main branding and look of the Games are in place."

how about the mascot 2015???

• 3 weeks later...

PyeongChang 2018 to have all venues ready by 2016 to test extensively

The PyeongChang 2018 organizers brought the International Olympic Committee (IOC) up to date with the progress of the preparations now that it has been over one year since they won the bid to host the winter Games. According to the time table of preparations the organizers plan to have all the venues ready for use by 2016 to have plenty of time to try them out and to become familiar with accessibility with test events.

An ongoing program for NOCs and IF visitation will keep them informed on the progress with the venues as well as get them familiar. Special language programs will be put into place as well as eco-friendly vehicles that will be operated during the Games.

Very important there will be FREE Wi-FI at all venues for participants.

According to the new Special Act passed by the government, this will offer government support as well as government officials and will provide a legal base for POCOG and the marketing program plus the protection of the intellectual properties.

The government support committee will be chaired by the Prime Minister, and include POCOG president, the Governor of Gangwon Province, and the presidents of the KOC and the Korean Paralympic Committee (KPC).

Also a Olympic Special Zone will be linked with the long term development of the Gangwon Province to host the Games that will include tax reduction and exemption, reduction of burden charge and financial support.

The Special Act also broke down the financial responsibilities and in regard to the construction of the competition venues at least 75% will fall with the national government and 25% will fall with the local government. In regard to the construction of infrastructure the national government will cover 100% of the railways, expressways and the national roads, the local roads will be covered 70% by the national government and 30% by the local government.

PyeongChang Games will leave a sustainable legacy by making the region the winter sports hub of East Asia.

http://www.sportsfea...est-extensively

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty poor website. Especially the menu bar, tut tut - very early days though. Took ages to load also, same problem for anyone else?

I've noticed the Sochi2014.com is really impressive,

Oh and since I'm reviewing, Rio2016.com - It's all to spacey and big, feels like I've zoomed in to 120%.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UK Olympic companies eye contracts for Korea Games

British firms involved in the construction of the Olympic Park in east London are being taken out to Korea on government trade missions in an attempt to win lucrative contracts ahead of the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang.

UK Trade & Investment is seeking to cash in on the reputation of British brands and companies following London 2012.

British companies including Tesco and Jaguar Land Rover have already made major inroads in South Korea, the 12th largest economy in the world. But trade officials expect the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, in the north-east of the country, to prove rich pickings for companies that worked on some of the temporary venues at London 2012.

Douglas Barrett, head of trade and investment at the British embassy in Seoul, said he expected the organisers of PyeongChang 2018 to be interested in replicating some of the temporary structures in Stratford – such as the basketball arena – to keep costs down. “It [London 2012] was the first time people had seen venues that were temporary but didn’t look or feel temporary,” Mr Barrett said.

The trade chief said the Olympics also delivered a significant boost to UK retail brands in Korea as “Brand Britain” gains traction.

A chain of department stores, Lotte, ran a three-week “British shopping is great” event during the London Games, selling everything from Burberry to Lye Cross Farm cheddar cheese, which resulted in a $50m (£31m) increase in sales.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/london-olympics-business/9735997/UK-Olympic-companies-eye-contracts-for-Korea-Games.html

Douglas Barrett, head of trade and investment at the British embassy in Seoul, said he expected the organisers of PyeongChang 2018 to be interested in replicating some of the temporary structures in Stratford – such as the basketball arena – to keep costs down. “It [London 2012] was the first time people had seen venues that were temporary but didn’t look or feel temporary,” Mr Barrett said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/london-olympics-business/9735997/UK-Olympic-companies-eye-contracts-for-Korea-Games.html

That's good, I hope POCOG keeps costs down, as it looks like they're already in debt with Alpensia. I'd rather Pyeongchang follow London's lead than Beijing/Sochi. Make it about the sport rather than the grandeur. But I know I'm asking for a lot here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...