#1 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6808 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

FIBA holds Olympic Draw today

30/04/2012

RIO DE JANEIRO (Olympics) - With the start of the Olympic Games less than three months away, another major milestone will be passed today, with the draw for the men's and women's Basketball Tournaments.

The draw can be watched live and for free on FIBAtv.com or followed in real time on draws.fiba.com at 16:00 CET (11:00 local time).

For both tournaments, the qualified teams will be drawn into two groups of six teams each.

Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, France, Great Britain, Spain, Tunisia and USA go into the draw for the Men's tournament, with the final three teams being decided at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men in Caracas, Venezuela from 2 to 8 July.

Angola, Australia, Brazil, China, Great Britain, Russia and USA go into the draw for the Women's tournament, with the final five teams being decided at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Women in Ankara, Turkey from 25 June to 1 July.

The two Olympic Basketball Tournaments will then see teams play the five other teams in their respective groups during the Preliminary Round.

The top four classified teams from each group will then move on to the Quarter-Finals of a standard knock-out tournament.

FIBA

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eru­di­ti­o­nis habes.

#2 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • 6808 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Group A Women's Draw: USA, China, Angola, Qualified 1, 2 and 4

Group B Women's Draw: Australia, Brazil, Great Britain, Russia, Qualified 3 and 5

#3 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • 6808 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Men`s Draw

Group A: USA, FRance, Argentina, Tunisia, Qualified 1 and 2

Group B: Spain, Australia, Brazil, China, Great Britain, Qualified 3

#4 bomberguy

bomberguy

Bronze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Is there a schedule yet for matches?

#5 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • 6808 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

according the draw's press kit

Men:

A1 - Q1
A2 - Tunisia
A3 - USA
A4 - France
A5 - Q2
A6 - Argentina

B1 - China
B2 - Great Britain
B3 - Brazil
B4 - Australia
B5 - Q3
B6 - Spain

Posted Image

#6 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • 6808 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Women
Posted Image

A1 - Q1
A2 - Angola
A3 - USA
A4 - Q2
A5 - Q4
A6 - China

B1 - Russia
B2 - Q5
B3 - Australia
B4 - Great Britain
B5 - Brazil
B6 - Q3

Posted Image

#7 Citizen-Seth

Citizen-Seth

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:I heard you were looking for me?

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Looks like I've got tickets to Brazil v. Q5, and Australia v. UK on the first day of the men's tournament. Too bad I just missed out on Team USA!

Edited by Citizen-Seth, 30 April 2012 - 11:19 PM.

WE LOVE BELA BARTOK

Still all about Annecy. 

#8 Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Flag Bearer Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3737 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Looks like I've got tickets to Brazil v. Q5, and Australia v. UK on the first day of the men's tournament. Too bad I just missed out on Team USA!

They haven't set the times yet, they probably won't do that until closer to the Olympics. If you have tickets to the last of the 3 sessions on July 28th, I wouldn't assume you have the last 2 matchups listed there

#9 Citizen-Seth

Citizen-Seth

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:I heard you were looking for me?

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Oh, well, then, I guess theres hope for me yet!

WE LOVE BELA BARTOK

Still all about Annecy. 

#10 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • 6808 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

NBA propose under-23 format for Olympic basketball

The NBA wants to pull basketball's top players out of future Olympic Games and model the competition on the under-23 format used in football.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the original United States 'Dream Team', the squad featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird that won gold in Barcelona in the first year NBA players took part, a team widely credited with helping spark the global popularity of the sport.

The game's biggest stars are in line to play in London this summer, but it could be the last Games in which they feature.

Plans floated by commissioner David Stern and his deputy Adam Silver at a press conference last night ahead of the draft lottery would see Olympic basketball transformed into a youth tournament because of fears over player burn-out.

Silver said: "Owners have raised repeatedly the issue of our players playing in essence year round when you add the Olympics to our newly renamed World Cup of Basketball (formerly the FIBA World Championship).

"So when you have the Olympics, the World Cup of Basketball, we are taking a very close look at whether it makes sense from an NBA standpoint and a global basketball standpoint for the top players to be playing at that level on a year-round basis, and somewhere (every) summer."

Silver said the NBA is planning talks with USA Basketball and FIBA following the London Olympics to discuss the matter.

Olympic football squads are made up of under-23 players, with a maximum of three 'overage' players in the group.

http://www.independe...ll-7807674.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users