No, Danemark never hosted a major football event, Sweden hosted EURO 1992 and FIFA World Cup 1958, but I agree that Stockholm is the big loser here.

Baku is the biggest suprise for me.

Sorry, i assumed Denmark hosted the Euro at some point in the 90s (but Sweden actually did in 1992). You're right. It makes more sense to host games in Copenhagen then.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeahhh Baku is one of the hosts of EURO 2020. I am so happy!!! :wub:

Baku is not a surprise. The Aliyev regime is trying to promote itself through sports ( and Eurovision). They seem well connected, just think of this European Games thing next year.

Haters gonna hate ;)

Baku is not a surprise. The Aliyev regime is trying to promote itself through sports ( and Eurovision). They seem well connected, just think of this European Games thing next year.

Well only Cardiff and Stockholm were left without something that actually went to the vote. Baku makes geopolitical sense moreso than their governments desire.

Good decision UEFA, I'm glad Wembley got the Finals and Semi-Finals of UEFA Euro 2020. :D

I think it's good Baku got chosen too. Only problem is the sightlines, because of the Running Track, but oh well.

I think the 13 Host Cities/Stadiums/Countries should have been:

Western Europe:

Wembley Stadium, London, England - Final and Semi-Finals. (90,000 Seats). No Works Needed.

Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Republic Of Ireland - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (52,000 Seats). No Works Needed.

Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, Holland - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (55,000 Seats). Minor Renovations and Expansions.

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales - Quarter-Finals and Group Stages. (74,000 Seats). Renovations.

Southern Europe:

Nou Camp, Barcelona, Spain - Quarter-Finals and Group Stages. (105,000 Seats). Expansion.

Olympic Stadium, Rome, Italy - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (70,000 Seats). Renovations.

Northern Europe:

Friends Arena, Stockholm (Solna), Sweden - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (51,000 Seats). No Works Needed.

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (38,000 Seats). Renovations.

Central Europe:

Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany - Quarter-Finals and Group Stages. (75,000 Seats). Expansion.

New Puskas Ferenc Stadium, Budapest, Hungary - Quarter-Finals and Group Stages. (68,000 Seats). New Stadium.

National Stadium, Bucharest, Romania - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (55,000 Seats). Minor Renovations.

Eastern Europe:

Baku Olympic Stadium, Baku, Azerbaijan - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (68,000 Seats). New Stadium.

New National Stadium, Minsk, Belarus - Round of 16 and Group Stages. (40,000 Seats). New Stadium.

I know Spain Bidded with Bilbao, but I believe they should have Bidded with Barcelona (Nou Camp).

Group A:

Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Republic Of Ireland.

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales.

Group B:

Nou Camp, Barcelona, Spain.

Olympic Stadium, Rome, Italy.

Group C:

Friends Arena, Stockholm (Solna), Sweden.

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark.

Group D:

Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany.

Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, Holland.

Group E:

New Puskas Ferenc Stadium, Budapest, Hungary.

National Stadium, Bucharest, Romania.

Group F:

Baku Olympic Stadium, Baku, Azerbaijan.

New National Stadium, Minsk, Belarus.

Final and Semi-Finals:

Wembley Stadium, London, England.

The thing that surprised me most was not the selection of Baku (one could see that coming, since it's pushing itself heavily into public spotlight), but of St. Petersburg, a city that (among other Russian cities) will host the World Cup only two years before the EURO. I think this is not a fair decision, even if it makes geopolitical sense and Sofia and Skopje (as eliminated Eastern European cities) were probably too close to Bucharest and Budapest in order to get chosen. Besides, in the current political situation, any further awarding of a major sports event to Russia leaves some bitter taste. That way, Putin (who will probably still be in power in 2020) gets the chance to show off and milk for prestige on the big international sports stage for a fourth time within just seven years, after the IAAF World Championships in 2013, this year's Winter Olympics, the FINA World Championships next year in Kazan and the 2018 FIFA World Cup. I mean, now Russia has basically won the hosting rights for almost all of the most important universal sports events, besides the Summer Olympics, within only a few years.

Sorry, it's the fifth time within seven years, not the fourth time.

Archived