Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kernowboy

Oslo 2022

199 posts in this topic

I think Norway should take a rest from bidding for the WOGs. Concentrate on the 2016 YOGs...and do a good job of that.

1 person likes this

I think Norway should take a rest from bidding for the WOGs. Concentrate on the 2016 YOGs...and do a good job of that.

Only because any Norway bid would simply thrash and humiliate Reno-Lake Tahoe to 'Annecy' levels

4 people like this

All right maybe I missed when it comes to when the fog appears in march (with temperatures changing all the time, the same with the amount of snow in the area).

Oslos national bid for the 2018 games stated the following about the fog:

http://www.webcitation.org/5xNssOMuV page 9.

"Dagens og fremtidens teknologiske løsninger innen telekommunikasjon

og TV-overføringer er bekreftet å kunne fungere under alle typer værforhold

som kan forventes i Oslo i februar.

Værstatistikk for østlandsområdet viser at februar er den vintermåneden

med lavest forekomst av tåke og med svært rolige vindforhold.

I Oslo er februar den vakreste vintermåneden. Alt ligger til rette for

at oppsatte sendeskjemaer holdes og at verden får de TV-bildene

den forventer."

"The current and future technology solutions within telecommunications

and television transmissions are confirmed to operate under all weather conditions

that can be expected in Oslo in February.

Weather statistics for the eastern part of Norway shows that February is the winter month

with the lowest incidence of fog and with very calm wind conditions.

In Oslo, February is the most beautiful month of the winter. In other words every thing ​​would be secured that

the scheduled broadcast times are kept and that the world gets the TV images

it demands."

Notice the extremely careful wording even the bid-book of 2018 had to resort to "February is the WINTER MONTH with the lowest incident of fog". That does not really help when fog is an issue throughout the winter. An regarding weather statistics, I have actually been trying quite hard to obtain these, and even looked through the public databases of the Norwegian Meteorological Institutite, but either hard official fog statistics do no exist, or they are keeping them a secret. The only measurement I have found seems to have been performed from a private person, who takes pictures every 44 seconds in Voksenlia not far from Holmenkollen: http://voksenlia.net/met/skiflyging/. In the years between 1998 and 2005 his conclusion was that January was most foggy, with February being second and March third, i.e. no indication that the fog "suddenly" appears in March. Holmenkollen is likely to follow a very similar pattern, although local topography probably makes it a bit more foggy there.

What we do know, is that fog is an issue to larger (Holmenkollen) and smaller degree for the whole Oslo area, so important, that it was decisive when a location for the new airport was chosen far north of Oslo. According to the largest Norwegian encyclopedia, Tryvann, very close to Holmenkollen, has fog 20 % of the time (year-round), and that most of the fog appears in the winter. Again, no clue where they got these "facts" from.

BTW, I do not contest that telecommunications and TV cameras work even if it is foggy, but it does not help, when the judges cannot see the ski jumpers, the biathlonists cannot see what they are aiming at, and the viewers get images like this:

Holmenkollen.jpg

(webcam from Holmenkollen).

More webcams from ski areas in Oslo can be found here:http://www.catalyzer.no/

Images like this would make a WOG a catastrophy for Norway's winter wonderland image and tourist industry, which is sad because fog is not really an issue in most of the country.

Again, this is not my experience from the years I lived in the Oslo area. Unfortunately, statistics for fog is not easy at hand. It is does not seem to be a parameter measured directly from the Norwegian weather stations. The closes I have gotten is this private measuring station in Voksenlia, close by, but about 50 m lower altitude. http://voksenlia.net/met/skiflyging/ According to the fog data here, the amount of fog was decreasing from January through March, i.e. the opposite of what you are claiming,

Fog isn't a problem to Oslo bid... there are more important weather problem like Pyeongchang without snow during winter (Winter is the dry season in Korea...). IOC doesn't care weather condition.

Fog isn't a problem to Oslo bid... there are more important weather problem like Pyeongchang without snow during winter (Winter is the dry season in Korea...). IOC doesn't care weather condition.

Well, yes, but they just seem to ignore this when it's about reaching "new horizons".

Well, yes, but they just seem to ignore this when it's about reaching "new horizons".

Yeah, funny thing......

Someone has to lose to Reno-Tahoe. U'll most probably eat your words.

I agree, when Reno-Tahoe bids a 2nd time, refining their first bid attempt! Or heck why not when Reno-Tahoe bids for the 3rd consecutive time, assuming the US don't get a Summer Games or choose someone else for Winter.

Well the thing is Tahoe needs that "CITY" to anchor itself. It can't host alone.

2014: Russia

2006: Italy

1994: Norway

1992: France

Is it really again time for Winter Games in Norway when they come to Europe? I think it is far too early. I personally think cross country and biathlon are overrated. Thats where Norway wins the majority of its medals. Norway lacks interest in ice sports. Skeleton, Ice Hockey or Figure Skating,... where are the Norwegians in these sports?

1 person likes this

2014: Russia

2006: Italy

1994: Norway

1992: France

Is it really again time for Winter Games in Norway when they come to Europe? I think it is far too early. I personally think cross country and biathlon are overrated. Thats where Norway wins the majority of its medals. Norway lacks interest in ice sports. Skeleton, Ice Hockey or Figure Skating,... where are the Norwegians in these sports?

Where is Russia in Alpine ski, Bobsleig, Acrobatic ski, snowboard? Where is Korea in all winter sport except short track and figure skating? Norway is strong in the majority of winter sport.

Where is Russia in Alpine ski, Bobsleig, Acrobatic ski, snowboard? Where is Korea in all winter sport except short track and figure skating? Norway is strong in the majority of winter sport.

And where are in Norway the new horizons? The IOC seems to be a crazy dog chasing everything that's untouched and whose economy grows.

Hockey isn't that bad in Norway. Its league is not Sweden's Eliteserien or Finland's SM-Liiga, but it has produced notable hockey players that made their way into the NHL like Epsen "Shampoo" Knutsen and Anders Myrvold. Just not in abundance and as strong mainstays, if not league superstars. Norway is competitive internationally. That is, it won't get blown out of the ice too much and can hold its own sometimes.

South Korea really needs to get competitive in sports like ice hockey and play tougher competition there years in advance before Pyongchang. Japan and China are the other top Asian nations internationally.

Hockey isn't that bad in Norway. Its league is not Sweden's Eliteserien or Finland's SM-Liiga, but it has produced notable hockey players that made their way into the NHL like Epsen "Shampoo" Knutsen and Anders Myrvold. Just not in abundance and as strong mainstays, if not league superstars. Norway is competitive internationally. That is, it won't get blown out of the ice too much and can hold its own sometimes.

South Korea really needs to get competitive in sports like ice hockey and play tougher competition there years in advance before Pyongchang. Japan and China are the other top Asian nations internationally.

China's womens hockey team is on the decline. The IIHF has a new group format which means korea will avoid canada usa finland and sweden in 2018.

That would be good for South Korea's international development. No surprise China's on the decline in women's hockey.

But Oslo surely has to be looking into either adding capacity to the Spektrum or build a new arena with a higher seating capacity altogether.

That would be good for South Korea's international development. No surprise China's on the decline in women's hockey.

But Oslo surely has to be looking into either adding capacity to the Spektrum or build a new arena with a higher seating capacity altogether.

I agree Oslo has very large venues but minimum for hockey (in my opinion I don't agree). However Pyeonchang has bare minimum capacities for most sports so anything is possible.

For 2014 Women's hockey it will be Canada, USA, Finland, and likely Russia or Sweden in group A Group B will have SWE/RUS and three other teams.

All teams play each other once top two in Group A to semis 3 in ga plays 2nd in gb and 4i n ga plays 1st in GB ans so on.

Oslo has 2 existing arenas, Spektrum Arena and Jordal Amfi Arena.

This could host Hockey II and Curling respectively.

Then you'd need to build a new major arena for Ice Hockey I and another arena for Figure Skating/Short Track. The 2nd arena could be potentially solved with the construction of a new convention center in the city. This convention center could potentially also host the Main Media Center.

Speed Skating could also be held in this venue, or by reverting Nye Bislett Stadion to host a Speed Skating Oval.

Or you could just use Telenor Arena for Curling:

arena.jpg

Oslo Spektrum for Ice hockey II

Oslospektrum_int01.jpg

In addition to a new ice hall at Jordal Amfi (using the existing one as a training facility) for figure-skating and short-track and a new ice hall either in Oslo or in Asker for Ice hockey I.

Is Curling that popular? Does it require a 15,000 seat arena? I'd say use Telenor Arena for Figure Skating/Short Track in an extended say 20,000 capacity (by temporarily lowering the field and adding additional seating) and build a new arena for Ice Hockey I.

Edited by Lord David

Norway has one the current most successful mens team in Curling. They wear ugly trousers, but they play really good.

Edited by Goethe

The King seems to like them.

Norway is one of the more successful countries in curling, with Sweden, Scotland, Switzerland and Canada.

I do suppose Telenor Arena could be used for Curling at say a 10,000 capacity, by walling off part of the arena in which the other side of 5,000 unused seats (field floor) could serve as the training curling lanes (say 2 of them).

Potential Venues?

Existing, No Works Required:

Holmenkollen National Arena: Ski Jumping: 30,000 and 16,000. (Ceremonies)

Oslo Spektrum: Ice Hockey II: 7,000.

Jordal Amfi Arena: Curling - 5,500.

Existing, Permanent Works Required:

Bislett Stadion: Speed Skating: 15,400.

Telenor Arena: Figure Skating/Short Track 15,000 OR Curling - 8,000-10,000.

Norefjell mountain range: Downhill Skiing, Snowboard, Freestyle Skiing.

Holmenkollen National Arena Biathlon Stadium: Biathlon/Cross Country Skiing.

New Venues:

New Major Arena: Ice Hockey I - 18,000.

Norges Varemesse Conference Center - New Hall: Figure Skating/Short Track Speed Skating - 15,000.

New National Stadium: Ceremonies - 40,000.

Temporary Venues:

Olympic Sliding Center: Bobsleigh, Luge, Skeleton.

Norges Varemesse Conference Center will be used as the Main Media Center in an expanded capacity.

Ideally, Curling will be held at the 1962 Arena, to permit Telenor Arena to be used for Figure Skating/Short Track and allow Norges Varemesse Conference Center's expansion to serve the MMC in the Olympics.

This is the current state of Jordal Amfi which can only be described as absolutely dreadful.

1260463093000_Jordal_Amfi_2273791978x1200r.jpg

_afp000296718_jpg_97784d.jpg

Dangerous steps inspected by the city´s-minister of sport, environment and transport (Ola Elvestuen) back in February:

303108-np_jpg_97782g.jpg

Jordal Amfi back in 1952 (Without a roof) after the Olympics.

Jordal_Amfi_og_Kampen_skole_1952.jpg

Jordal Amfi exterior today (it is hideous):

Jordal_Amfi.jpg

Edited by oslo2022

^^ What I meant by temporary sliding venue, is that you already have the one in Lillehammer. Naturally you are not going to use ANY Lillehammer venues in order to distance yourself from those games, so if there is no need for a 2nd Sliding venue in Norway, then you propose a temporary venue, which will be dismantled after the Olympics.

So propose Jordal Amfi as existing with permanent works required. The right end wall seems perfect for that Curling scoreboard and a video screen.

I see what you think ;)

Nevertheless, the Jordal site (see under) is being considered in a bid for a new Figure skating/short-track ice hall (12 000 seats during the games)

Jordal%20idrettspark.jpg%20(800x521).jpg

There is also an existing training venue (The white building), (The rings dates back to 1952)

ungdomshallen_montasje1.jpg%20%28730x200%29.jpg

Bonus: A few renderings from the proposed new ice hall (Nye Askerhallen) (Asker is located approximately 16-18 min away from Oslo)

Kort-om-prosjektet.jpg.100.350.350.2011.9.21.9.42.16.jpg

Kort-om-prosjektet2.jpg

Edited by oslo2022