• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#281 4gamesandcounting

4gamesandcounting

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2222 posts
  • Interests:The Olympic Games, Rowing, Films, Short Track, Commonwealth Games, Olympic pins.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

W hen you looked at some of the plans Leipzig looked really interesting - but we all know the bids aren't purely judged on technical merit. Against the big boys of 2012 it was always a no win situation.
MANCHESTER 2002 - THE XVII COMMONWEALTH GAMES
LONDON 2012 - THE XXX OLYMPIC GAMES
GLASGOW 2014 - THE XX COMMONWEALTH GAMES

LONDON 2012 - the time of our lives!

#282 Citius Altius Fortius

Citius Altius Fortius

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Moderators
  • 24021 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

Well, in the k.o. rounds Stuttgart dropped out first, Frankfurt dropped out next followed by Düsseldorf - Hamburg was runner up - Leipzig won with 81:51

Hamburg became first and Leipzig second in the evaluation of the German NOC.

I esteem the choice of Leipzig as a political decision, since the German NOC must had been aware that in an international competition a city like Leipzig has no chance at all. Leipzig was always a sport centre in Germany indeed, but it has not the level of recognition outside Germany. Many politicians supported the and hoped for "second wonder" for the former eastern part of Germany... 

danke1_zpsa75db892.jpg

#283 cube

cube

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

http://www.sueddeuts...ympia-1.1656691

Munich plans to move Biathlon and CrossCountry to Ruhpolding

they also think about holding the freestyle and halfpipe stuff in Munich (i guess olympicpark)

there will be a feasibility study done til autumn

and then a referendum in november

#284 Olympian2004

Olympian2004

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7082 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

They want to eliminate a stumbling block, but I fear that they create a new stumbling block for the IOC by shifting the biathlon and cross-country to Ruhpolding. The article doesn't even raise the question what will happen to the nordic combined events then. It's 150 kilometres (93 miles) from Garmisch-Partenkirchen (where the ski jumps are located) to Ruhpolding, an almost two-hour drive by car (not to mention that busses used for team transportation are slower, of course) because there's no fast motorway leading directly from Garmisch to Ruhpolding, you have to drive quite a stretch on Bundes- or Landesstraßen (federal or state roads, i.e. normal roads leading directly through cities, with traffic lights, slower speeds and so on). If there weren't the nordic combined events, you could still somehow argue that the Games and their events aren't that much stretched out across southern Bavaria.

I suppose that Munich needs to have a rather weak opposition in order to win the Games despite that serious question that will be raised for sure.

image-724324-galleryV9-repm.jpg

Our golden generation - we are so very proud of you! World Champions 2014!

#285 gromit

gromit

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

They want to eliminate a stumbling block, but I fear that they create a new stumbling block for the IOC by shifting the biathlon and cross-country to Ruhpolding. The article doesn't even raise the question what will happen to the nordic combined events then. It's 150 kilometres (93 miles) from Garmisch-Partenkirchen (where the ski jumps are located) to Ruhpolding, an almost two-hour drive by car (not to mention that busses used for team transportation are slower, of course) because there's no fast motorway leading directly from Garmisch to Ruhpolding, you have to drive quite a stretch on Bundes- or Landesstraßen (federal or state roads, i.e. normal roads leading directly through cities, with traffic lights, slower speeds and so on). If there weren't the nordic combined events, you could still somehow argue that the Games and their events aren't that much stretched out across southern Bavaria.

I suppose that Munich needs to have a rather weak opposition in order to win the Games despite that serious question that will be raised for sure.

When Oslo are planning to use the Lillehammer venues, its almost like they want to let Barcelona into the race :huh:

#286 Olympian2004

Olympian2004

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • 7082 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think that Oslo still has a more compact venue plan than the (proposed) plan for Munich 2022. Munich would have alpine events 90 kilometres from the main host city plus biathlon and cross-country events 115 kilometres from the main host city plus sledding events 160 kilometres from the main host city. Oslo, on the other hand would have more events (including biathlon and cross-country) directly in the city or in its immediate surroundings - while only the alpine events would take place 240 kilometres away in Kvitfjell and the sledding events would take place 200 kilometres away in Hunderfossen. Those are very large distances by Winter Olympic standards but at least they would have only two venue clusters as opposed to Munich's three. Plus: In Oslo the nordic combined events could take place in a very compact venue - nothing beats Holmenkollen in that regard.

image-724324-galleryV9-repm.jpg

Our golden generation - we are so very proud of you! World Champions 2014!

#287 Athensfan

Athensfan

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • 7888 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

But Oslo's public support is faltering.

"...unforgettable, dream Games..."

Posted Image

#288 deawebo

deawebo

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Interests:Swimming and football (soccer)

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yeah... Oslo's plan is more compact, but Munich makes a more attractive option.

970105_689237304426542_1805325902_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users