Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
munichfan

Munich 2022

288 posts in this topic

Munich's lord mayor (Christian Ude) has yet expressed that he wants another Munich bid for the Winter Olympics. Should Munich bid? Should they bid with their 2018 plan or should they work out a new plan?

Just my possibility of an improved Munich 2022 concept:

Ice Cluster (Munich)

- Olympiastadion (70,000) - Opening & Closing Ceremony - legacy: possible IAAF Athletics World Championships, possible venue for TSV 1860 München

- Olympiahalle (15,000) - Figure Skating & Short Track - legacy: concerts, sports events, etc.

- Olympia-Eissportzentrum (reconstruction with about 10,000 seats) - Ice Hockey - legacy: venue for EHC München

- Event Arena (installation of about 6,000 seats) - Ice Hockey - legacy: venue of FC Bayern München's basketball players

- Olympia-Schwimmhalle (with temporary seating 4,000) - Curling - legacy: public pool and training centre

- Olympic Oval (temporary venue for about 10,000) - Speed Skating

- Olympic Village - same as 2018

- IBC and MPC - Messe München, so same as 2018

- Media Village - to be built near the IBC and MPC

Snow Cluster (Garmisch-Partenkirchen)

- Große Olympiaschanze (35,000) - Ski Jumping, Nordic Combined & Mogul Skiing - legacy: Four Hills Tournament and training centre

- Gudiberg (15,000 not sure) - Alpine Skiing (Slalom) - legacy: ski run and skiing world cups

- Hausberg Board and Ski Arena (temporary for 14,000) - Ski Cross & Snowboard - legacy: ski run

- Hausberg Sliding Centre (to be built for 12,000) - Luge, Bobsleigh & Skeleton - training centre, possible world cups

- Kandahar (18,000 not sure) - Downhill, Giant Slalom, Super-G, Combined - legacy: ski run and skiing world cups

- Grainau Arena (to be built for about 20,000) - Nordic Combined, Cross Country Skiing & Biathlon - legacy: training centre, some competitions

- Olympic Village - same as 2018

Is there a large convention centre in Munich big enough for a speed skating track.?

I know the Turin Skating Oval was turned into a conference and exhibition venue post games.

There are some big convention centres in Munich, but their halls are too small to host speed skating. At the moment the Event Arena hosts many exhibitions and some congresses. After the games, the velodrome may take over all the events who are normally held at the Event Arena right now.

Is there a large convention centre in Munich big enough for a speed skating track.?

I know the Turin Skating Oval was turned into a conference and exhibition venue post games.

The difference being the oval was built then converted, not an exhibition centre first being built then converted to an oval.

If Munich bids it has one supporter here. :D

I've heard Munich wants to use Berchestgaden isted of Garmisch... Can some tell me if it's true?

Mee too Munich has my complete support!!! ;) It's the best choice and traditional, a good concept, secure country, 50 aniversary since the 72 SOG, stable economy... GO MUNICH BID!

I've heard Munich wants to use Berchestgaden isted of Garmisch... Can some tell me if it's true?

Mee too Munich has my complete support!!! ;) It's the best choice and traditional, a good concept, secure country, 50 aniversary since the 72 SOG, stable economy... GO MUNICH BID!

I think would be a better choice as its about three minutes quicker then Garmisch (using google maps) and it eliminates a stand alone venue (Kognisse) now it becomes part of a cluster.

I support Munich as Europe's next Winter Olympic host. Just don't know if or when they will bid.

Of course I would support a Munich bid again... (although I would love to see Berlin or Hamburg hosting, too)

1 person likes this

I think would be a better choice as its about three minutes quicker then Garmisch (using google maps) and it eliminates a stand alone venue (Kognisse) now it becomes part of a cluster.

I think you may have tiped it in incorrectly. With Google Earth it says:

Munich to Garmisch: 89.7 km, 1h 7min

Munich to Berchtesgaden: 159 km, 1h 45min

Another issue for a Berchtesgaden is the long ways within the cluster. From Ruhpolding (Chiemgau Arena - Biathlon, Cross Country, Nordic Combined and possible Ski Jumping) to Schönau (Kunsteisbahn - Bob, Luge and Skeleton) it's almost an hour to drive.

I think with a Munich bid there's no way ignoring Garmisch.

I think you may have tiped it in incorrectly. With Google Earth it says:

Munich to Garmisch: 89.7 km, 1h 7min

Munich to Berchtesgaden: 159 km, 1h 45min

Another issue for a Berchtesgaden is the long ways within the cluster. From Ruhpolding (Chiemgau Arena - Biathlon, Cross Country, Nordic Combined and possible Ski Jumping) to Schönau (Kunsteisbahn - Bob, Luge and Skeleton) it's almost an hour to drive.

I think with a Munich bid there's no way ignoring Garmisch.

Your right! I don`t know what I was doing :lol:

1:45 is about the same as Vancouver-Whistler. Isn`t the luge trade 30 mins away from Berchtesgaden

Of course I would support a Munich bid again... (although I would love to see Berlin or Hamburg hosting, too)

I would love Germany to have both the summer and winter games. The IOC has underused Germany for locations.

Imagine a 2024 field with a USA bid, Paris, two of Tokyo/Istanbul/Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Toronto that is 7 bids that could win 2020 but at least two would have to be cut for 2024. Unreal.

Again Google? No wonder it shows thirty minutes. Same goes for me if I tipe in Berchtesgaden to Königssee, but actually, it's about ten minutes.

Imagine a 2024 field with a USA bid, Paris, two of Tokyo/Istanbul/Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Toronto that is 7 bids that could win 2020 but at least two would have to be cut for 2024. Unreal.

There's no rule saying the IOC must create a shortlist of 5 bids or fewer, is there?

I kinda doubt all those big guns would show up for the same race anyway.

There's no rule saying the IOC must create a shortlist of 5 bids or fewer, is there?

I kinda doubt all those big guns would show up for the same race anyway.

We know Paris is gonna go for it Madrid seems like a bidder until they lose, Toronto, USA probably and South Africa are five. If Istanbul loses probably them as well.

Again Google? No wonder it shows thirty minutes. Same goes for me if I tipe in Berchtesgaden to Königssee, but actually, it's about ten minutes.

It showed me to the lake but its obviously not on the lake lol

Paris hasn't, thus far, even made a single peep about another Olympic bid anytime soon.

There's no official rule specifically stating that the IOC must create a short-list of 5 or fewer bids.

Technically, if all applicant bids (no matter the amount) pass the credible benchmark, then in theory, all bids should/could be let to go forward to Candidate stage.

However, history has dictated, that they IOC could look at different things, besides technical merit, to include or cut certain bids, i.e. Doha 2016 bid.

Paris hasn't, thus far, even made a single peep about another Olympic bid anytime soon.

There's no official rule specifically stating that the IOC must create a short-list of 5 or fewer bids.

Technically, if all applicant bids (no matter the amount) pass the credible benchmark, then in theory, all bids should/could be let to go forward to Candidate stage.

However, history has dictated, that they IOC could look at different things, besides technical merit, to include or cut certain bids, i.e. Doha 2016 bid.

This is off topic but I will respond, 2024 is the centennial I am assuming that is what Paris is aiming for.

And the 5 it was due to the time limits when the IOC votes.

Back to Munich, is there any closer mountains then Garmisch?

Yes, 2024 would be the Paris centennial & one could assume that's what the French *could* be aiming for. But many also assumed that South Africa was going to be a strong contender for 2020 before they finally decided not to bid. Rome was all but assumed to be a big front-runner for 2020 until they pulled out. So things don't always pan out solely based on 'assumptions'.

And yeah, technically speaking, the IOC seems to like to keep the number low so things don't get too cumbersome. But before Rome withdrew, a lot on here were saying that all 6-2020 applicants were going to be on the short-list.

And if the IOC did happen to ever wind-up with a very strong field like you mentioned earlier, I doubt seriously that they would make any cuts. The IOC has had 6-7 cities on voting day before, so they'd make do with such good candidates.

Right now, I can't see any reason for not choosing Garmisch for the snow events. Anywhere else closer (more than 10km closer isn't possible at all) would be somewhere where anything would have to be built and I think no one here would accept building all-new venues while in Garmisch there are world-class venues yet built and used. A possible thing you could do to reduce the travel time could be a new high-speed rail link between Munich and Innsbruck which could take about 40 mins or so from Munich to Garmisch.

I think the DOSB will support a bid in future only, when there is a positive referendum beforehand and in the case of Winter Games I believe that the DOSB will ask the cities/villages to guarantee that all areas for the ski slopes/runs are available before it bid with the city/village...

In the end they got it handled for 2018. Maybe it won't be a that big problem for a later Munich bid if they involved the landowners from the beginning, not like Willy Bogner did.

To the referendum: Bach has said that he would only back a bid after a referendum, but sponsors and supporters have yet established an association to promote a possible future bid. I think the referendum may have better chances than the one in Graubünden.

Munich 2022 ? Then how about Berlin 2024 ? Will the German prefer to host WOG rather than SOG ?

I think that's the key question regarding Munich and I do wonder if it will be seen as getting in the way of Germany's summer ambitions.

I think that's the key question regarding Munich and I do wonder if it will be seen as getting in the way of Germany's summer ambitions.

ATM I truly believe Germany's ambitions are a winter games has its been 80 years since they last hosted.

ATM I truly believe Germany's ambitions are a winter games has its been 80 years since they last hosted.

Maybe it's only Katerina Witt, the winter federations and the Bavarians. But the Berliners, the Hamburgers, all the flatland Germans would prefer the Summer Games where at least a Frankfurt, perhaps a Dusseldorf, certainly a Munich and Kiel again, would get to share in the hosting duties.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Maybe it's only Katerina Witt, the winter federations and the Bavarians. But the Berliners, the Hamburgers, all the flatland Germans would prefer the Summer Games where at least a Frankfurt, perhaps a Dusseldorf, certainly a Munich and Kiel again, would get to share in the hosting duties.

Given that Germany hasn't hosted an Olympics since re-unification, I think they'd probably take whichever Olympics they could get at this point. Obviously the path to a Winter Olympics is much easier than going after a Summer. So if it's a case of either/or, I think Munich is more likely to win that battle, especially given the competition Berlin would face for 2024.

At the risk of sounding presumptious, history is knocking on Germany's door for Munich and 2022.

Let's tick a few things off here:

- Germany has not hosted a WOG since 1936 in Garmish.

- A unified Germany has not hosted an Olympics since 1936 in Berlin.

- Germany has not hosted an Olympics period since 1972 in Munich.

- Unfortunately, one of the darkest chapters in Olympic history was in 1972 in Munich with the deaths of 11 athletes. 2022 will be 50 years since the massacre, so there is something to be said for coming full circle and finally closing an old wound.

The symbolic stuff aside, the last bid put forward by Munich did very well, finishing 2nd to PC. Given how strongly Munich finished to the heir apparent, the positioning of the Germans for 2022 is quite strong and with some possible refinement, it would seem the Germans would be hard pressed to be denied if they want to bid.

And I will confess a personal bias - I want a Games in Germany for all of the above reasons. To my mind, it is right and Lord knows, it is time, past time, for the Games to finally go back to Germany and for the Germans to finally get what has been denied them by history and politics - a chance to finally do a Games justice and do them right.

1 person likes this