• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 GBModerator

GBModerator

Torch Bearer 10000 Club

• Super Administrators
  • 10199 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

The Denver Post reports that, according to Alem International Management Inc., a Denver 2022 Winter Olympics would cost $1.4 billion. The estimate came during the

View the full article
@gamesbids
@olympicforums
GB Moderator
GamesBids.com

#2 FYI

FYI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9315 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

When are these Denver 2022 Exploratory Committees gonna start to gauge the citizenry of Denver & Colorado about a Winter Olympics. Not to mention, how they would plan to finance the Games.

#3 paulkimo

paulkimo

Participant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yes, there has to be some kind of public input into this process because public support is a big part of the bid process and given what happened for the 1976 Games, it will be real important this time around to reassure the IOC that it won't happen again. It is important to understand what the public's concerns are and then try and weave in some responses into the evaluation process. The financial issues would certainly be important but at this stage, it should not be the most important issue to consider at this time. Environmental issues are always important when it comes to the Winter Games and Vancouver I think did a good job of being good environmental stewards for the Games and lessons can be learned from them. I also realize that Denver is struggling on what to do with the FastTracks transit projects and whether the public would support increases in funding to pay for the short falls. Transportation will be a key element that Denver has in their favor if they are able to fully implement all of the rail projects that they are wanting to do.

#4 baron-pierreIV

baron-pierreIV

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 38590 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Denver will lose. That's for sure.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies"

www.secretolympiceremony.com

Updated 2014 print edition (with section on Sochi) NOW available.  

Only (previous) 2011 edition available in eBook format which has only 15 images vs. 150+ images in print version.  (This is due to load limitations of an eBook format.)   

10% off via my website or www.createspace.com/3396522 using this discount code: 6Y79VJR7.

Cover_single_A2-1.jpg

#5 intoronto

intoronto

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7262 posts
  • Interests:Geography, Sports, Olympics, Urban Planning

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

(^) 1.45 billion seems really small. I am pretty sure Reno would cost more.

pan-am4.png

#6 FYI

FYI

• Members
  • 9315 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Compared to the estimated $30 that Sochi is going to cost (the most expensice Winter Olympics to date), yes, $1.4 is puny in comparison.

#7 paulkimo

paulkimo

Participant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

(^) 1.45 billion seems really small. I am pretty sure Reno would cost more.

From a venue perspective, Denver only needs maybe two venues for the ice events and of course the added venues for sliding, ski jmping etc. So the actual cost could be less than say Reno who would have to build a lot more venues. I would not take these numbers as realistic numbers, these are just order of magnitude numbers. The one wild card would be the cost of security. Vancouver grossly underestimated their cost from bid to actual and that is one cost element I would be watching carefully.

Compared to the estimated $30 that Sochi is going to cost (the most expensice Winter Olympics to date), yes, $1.4 is puny in comparison.

That number for Sochi probabl includes infrastructure improvements as well. Don't forget, Sochi has to build virutally everything from scratch so the cost is go ing to be a lot higher.

#8 baron-pierreIV

baron-pierreIV

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 38590 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Again, the Denver group ain't fooling me. That's a VERY underestimated cost...and I can see they are purposely low-balling it to make it easy to sell to the Denver voters. I hope they see through the charade. It will cost at least $2 billion.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies"

www.secretolympiceremony.com

Updated 2014 print edition (with section on Sochi) NOW available.  

Only (previous) 2011 edition available in eBook format which has only 15 images vs. 150+ images in print version.  (This is due to load limitations of an eBook format.)   

10% off via my website or www.createspace.com/3396522 using this discount code: 6Y79VJR7.

Cover_single_A2-1.jpg

#9 intoronto

intoronto

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7262 posts
  • Interests:Geography, Sports, Olympics, Urban Planning

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Again, the Denver group ain't fooling me. That's a VERY underestimated cost...and I can see they are purposely low-balling it to make it easy to sell to the Denver voters. I hope they see through the charade. It will cost at least $2 billion.

Probably more. The village alone could be upwards of a billion.

pan-am4.png

#10 FYI

FYI

• Members
  • 9315 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

That number for Sochi probabl includes infrastructure improvements as well. Don't forget, Sochi has to build virutally everything from scratch so the cost is go ing to be a lot higher.

Yes, I know that. But the figure still seems low. And after the IOC gets spoiled with Sochi & PyeongChang, it may be hard for them to turn back 10-fold. Remember, these are royal-wannabes, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users