Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stark

2011 Pan-Arab Games in Doha

33 posts in this topic

I have a strange feeling that Doha's logo maybe unvieled at the closing ceremonies.

Tomorrow's the opening ceremony.

David Atkins will produce the Opening Ceremony of these Pan Arab Games. Also, Libya will march with their new flag (and apparently Syria will boycott, or at least planned to boycott the games).

5 years ago...

Wonder what David Atkins will do tomorrow. I hope to see new stuff from what we saw in 2006. Unfortunately I'll not be able to watch it live because of studies (although tomorrow is my last day of class for this year). I'll watch it on Youtube later, I guess.

Also these games will serve as a test event for the Doha bid for the 2020 Olympics.

What r you studying!?

I think these ceremonies will be different, at least they have to be :lol:

What r you studying!?

I think these ceremonies will be different, at least they have to be :lol:

System Engineriing :P

And yeah, they will be different :lol: they won't use the giant LED screen to start with and I guess they have a bit more advanced technology than in 2006

The medals for the games were unveiled moments ago

Arab Games unveils stunning range of pearl and emerald studded medals

Posted by editor_CM on Dec 9, 2011 in Sports | 0 comments

Arab-Games-medals-qatarisbooming.com_.jpg

The Arab Games Organising Committee (AGOC) has revealed to the world what 6,000 athletes from 21 Arab countries will be competing for: a stunning range of pearl and emerald studded Bronze, Silver, and Gold medals.

The exclusively designed medals are inspired by traditional Arab ornaments presented to noblemen and high achievers in historic times.

One of Qatar’s most precious natural resources, the pearls are symbolic of Qatar’s long history of pearl diving, while the diamond-cut, emerald body, laser-printed with the logo of the Union of Arabic National Olympic Committees, signifies hope.

Whilst the base is made out of pewter, which was first used around the beginning of the Bronze Age in the Near East, present-day Middle East, with the earliest piece of the material being found from an Egyptian tomb from 1450 BC

“Medals proudlytaken home by athletes are a lasting recognition of heroic performances– they are symbol of sporting excellence at Arab Games Doha 2011. Therefore have to be as unique as each achievement and an acknowledgement the effort, dedication and sacrifice required to compete at the highest level,” said Maher Safi, Deputy Director, Marketing, Arab Games Organising Committee.

“We are proud to unveil a unique design that represents Qatar as the home to the 12th Arab Games, Arab culture and will be a lasting memorable filled with national pride for the very best athletes in the Arab world,” he said.

Measuring 70 mm in diameter and 6 mm in thickness, the victory medals are an exquisite combination of Arab and Olympian designs.

Scheduled to kick off this weekend with a spectacular opening ceremony, Arab Games Doha 2011 will feature a total of 353 events which are to be hosted across 14 world-class competition venues. Top athletes from 21 Arab countries will compete against each other in 29 exciting sports.

In addition to the various sporting competitions, Arab Games Doha 2011 offers an array of cultural activities that will celebrate the shared and individual traditions of all Arab communities. Athletes’ Village, Katara, SouqWaqef, and Aspire Park, are all prime non-competition venues which are to host cultural events during Arab Games Doha 2011.

The mascot of the Pan Arab Games, Wathnan. It was designed by Ahmed Al Maadeed (better known as ABMQTR, who designed the Jerboa mascots for the 2011 Asian Cup). I guess it symbolize the huge importance that horses have for arab culture.

AG-MASCOT.jpg

Jeez. Now THOSE are bling!

They remind me a bit of Beijing 2008 medals, except they're more loaded :lol:

Those are medals from a rich country!!! Esmeralds! Imagine is Doha wins... Diamonds perhaps? :lol: The mascot was a good election, hores in the Arabian World are almost indispensable.

I have great expectations on the opening ceremony!

The final segment of the OC (second part is on the user account)

^^ They also have http://www.arabgames2011.qa which is in both english and arabic.

Arab Games athletics event to be qualifier for London 2012 Olympic Games

DOHA, 11 December 2011 – HE Sheikh Saoud bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, Chairman of Arab Games Organising Committee (AGOC) announced that the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) approved athletics event of the 12th Arab Games – Doha 2011 as an official qualifying event for the London 2012 Olympics.

Earlier, swimming competition of Arab Games Doha 2011 was officially recognised by Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA), the international governing body of swimming declared diving, water polo, synchronized swimming, and open water swimming, as an official qualifying event for London 2012 Olympic Games.

In an interview with Al-Kass Channel, HE Sheikh Saoud said that the AGOC discussed the approval of Arab Games athletics event as a qualifier for London 2012 Olympic Games, with the IAAF.

His Excellency also mentioned that the Qatar Olympic Committee will ask the International Sports Federation to recognise the competitions of Arab Games as an official qualifications for Olympic Games and stressed that the 12th Arab Games offers all participants and nations the perfect preparation for London 2012 Olympic Games.

And yeah, just as I posted earler, Syria boycotted the games. They usually were one of the top medallists on these games so their boycott will affect deeply on this edition.

Just to clarify out of the aquatic disciplines only swimming is a qualification event.

EMPTY SEATS.....

From Around the Rings

Free Seats for Morning Sessions

Whether simply the first day of the workweek or lack of enthusiasm, spectators stayed away from competitions Sunday, the second full day of events at the Arab Games.

From an unscientific sampling of three events attended by ATR, competitors in basketball, football and judo played to near empty venues.

For example, pocket-sized Al Gharafa Stadium, with 26,000 seats, seemed absolutely cavernous for Sunday’s preliminary round football match between Libya and Sudan. A generous estimate numbered the crowd at 500.

Organizers of the Arab Games hope to put more fans in the seats announcing that no tickets are needed for sessions that begin before 1200 in 22 sports. Excluded are team events as well as athletics and swimming, so the new policy would have had no effect on the sparse crowd for Libya-Sudan match, won by Sudan 1-0.

2 people like this

Why allow a country that discriminates against women, can't fill stadiums has not had any of it born citizens win a medal at the games host the Olympics? It just doesn't make sense at all.

^^ I'm not sure about women discrimination (is not that worse than in Saudi Arabia or Iran), but yeah, the fact qataris only seem to fill the stadiums when their home team play is worrying. Where is the passion?

Kinda gives the reason to all the Qatar 2022 detractors. If i were them, I would use these remaining 10 years to improve this situation and raise interest in sports.

Thats really bad... The discrimination stuff, its gonna be a big deal in 2022.

I was wondering... Does alcohol is permited now in the Arab Games?

^^ I heard it was forbidden till the games end. Normaly, in Qatar, you can drink alcohol as long as you have a permission and you don't do it in public.

And i dont think women discrimination, like i said before, is that worse like in other arab countries. The problem with Qatar is that they don't have much sport traditions at all.

^^ I heard it was forbidden till the games end. Normaly, in Qatar, you can drink alcohol as long as you have a permission and you don't do it in public.

And i dont think women discrimination, like i said before, is that worse like in other arab countries. The problem with Qatar is that they don't have much sport traditions at all.

Good news, i mean a sporting event without alcohol... I mean is like going to a stadium without beer... Its almost traditional.

Well, Qatar is making a big effort to have sport tradition for the future... But maybe will wait 20 years... To see Qataris atending to see sport activities in a greater amounts of people.

Good news, i mean a sporting event without alcohol... I mean is like going to a stadium without beer... Its almost traditional.

Well, Qatar is making a big effort to have sport tradition for the future... But maybe will wait 20 years... To see Qataris atending to see sport activities in a greater amounts of people.

I know, but again, the country (at least the native ones, excluding the overseas workers) and all of the participant countries are islamic and their religion forbids alcohol, so...

The most relevant sport sucess in Qatar was, I guess, the victory of the club Al Sadd at the AFC Champions League and thus qualifying to a Club World Cup for the first time. However, although most of the players are from Qatar, in reality, some of them were originaly from Senegal, UAE, Saudi Arabia or Kuwait and got the qatari nationality.

Medal standings so far:

1 Egypt 14 11 5 30

2 Qatar 8 5 8 21

3 Morocco 5 3 8 16

4 Tunisia 5 2 4 11

5 Algeria 3 5 6 14

6 Saudi Arabia 3 3 1 7

7 Kuwait 2 2 8 12

8 Bahrain 1 1 3 5

9 Jordan 1 0 2 3

10 Iraq 0 6 4 10

Invincible Zhu en route to second gold

http://www.arabgames2011.qa/newen/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/chess-8-12-111.jpg

DOHA, 11 December – Qatar’s Zhu Chen maintained her domination of women´s chess at the Arab Games 2011 in Doha on Sunday, untouchable throughout the first five rounds of women’s rapid individual, one day after winning gold in the blitz event.

The Qatari made light work of Kholoud Al-Zarouni of United Arab Emirates in round one and dispensed with Jordan’s Alshaeby Boshra in round two, who resigned with the Qatari queen about to pounce and immobilise the cornered Jordanian king, with just 16 seconds left on each player’s clock, insufficient time to execute an escape.

Zhu’s only serious contenders were Natalie Fuad of Jordan in round 3 and Egypt’s Khaled Mona in round four, both of whom gave the former women’s world champion a hard time but were unable to keep up the pressure. The Egyptian, the only player annotating her moves and risking losing precious time, wore the Qatari down to an endgame of rooks but ultimately failed to entrap her, resigning once her arsenal became inferior.

In round five, with both players’ queens still standing, Zhu and Amina Mezioud of Algeria tried to outmanoeuvre each other, the Qatari eventually forcing the Algerian’s queen and a rook to remain vigilant and flank her king, making any counterattack impossible.

Egypt’s Khaled Mona is ranked second with four rounds still to play after hounding Jordanian Natalie Fuad’s king with her two rooks and keeping her in check, disabling Fuad’s superior firepower and leaving her no choice but to concede.

The big upset of the day was Moroccan Fadoua Arif’s round-one defeat of Iraq’s Iman Al-Rufaye, who won silver in the women’s blitz individual event on Saturday, but was able to return to form and still has a medal chance, alongside Egypt’s Delbak Ibraheem, Sabrina Latreche of Algeria and Lebanese player Danielle Bodrasian.

Bodrasian suffered a serious time deficit in her round-three match against Latreche but forced the younger player into submission, before the Lebanese player endured the day’s longest game in a round-four showdown against Morocco’s Fadoua Arif, breaking the deadlock with a merciless exchange of material that reduced each armoury to four pawns apiece.

A race to crown their pawns followed, with Bodrasian seizing her chance to use a successive check and chase to recapture the Moroccan queen and clinch the game.

The women’s rapid individual event continues with rounds six to nine on Monday 12 December at 14:00 at Ladies’ Club Aspire.

Egyptians shine in Archery event

archei.jpg

DOHA, 12 December, 2011 – Egyptian shooters made impressive show of force in archery event at the ongoing 12th Arab Games to claim five medals on the first day.

Egyptian shooters, Amira Mansour and Ahmed Al-Namir confidently claimed two gold medals in (women’s 70 m event) and (men’s 70 m event) as their teammate, Nada Kamel took silver medal in women 70 m individual event.

In men’s 90 m individual event, Egyptian shooters, Mohammed Abdullahadi and Hadi Al-Khalousi secured two bronze.

I know, but again, the country (at least the native ones, excluding the overseas workers) and all of the participant countries are islamic and their religion forbids alcohol, so...

The most relevant sport sucess in Qatar was, I guess, the victory of the club Al Sadd at the AFC Champions League and thus qualifying to a Club World Cup for the first time. However, although most of the players are from Qatar, in reality, some of them were originaly from Senegal, UAE, Saudi Arabia or Kuwait and got the qatari nationality.

Yeap! Maybe Al Sadd victory was the most shoking sporting new in Qatar. :o ecen i was shoked... By the way Al Sadd will be against Barcelona on December 15 th. In the semifinals... Interesant...

Zhu Chen? Isn't that a CHinese name?