32 replies to this topic

#1 stark

stark

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have a strange feeling that Doha's logo maybe unvieled at the closing ceremonies.

Tomorrow's the opening ceremony.

Hoffenheim-v-Stuttgart-Martin-Harnik-cel

#2 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

Ceremonies entusiast since 1989

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2867 posts
  • Interests:Olympism, music, art, 2D/3D animation, world culture.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

David Atkins will produce the Opening Ceremony of these Pan Arab Games. Also, Libya will march with their new flag (and apparently Syria will boycott, or at least planned to boycott the games).

5 years ago...

Wonder what David Atkins will do tomorrow. I hope to see new stuff from what we saw in 2006. Unfortunately I'll not be able to watch it live because of studies (although tomorrow is my last day of class for this year). I'll watch it on Youtube later, I guess.

Also these games will serve as a test event for the Doha bid for the 2020 Olympics.

GCnhs.gif

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. // Sir Winston Churchill

#3 intoronto

intoronto

Flag Bearer Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7389 posts
  • Interests:Geography, Sports, Olympics, Urban Planning

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

What r you studying!?

I think these ceremonies will be different, at least they have to be :lol:

pan-am4.png

#4 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2867 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

What r you studying!?

I think these ceremonies will be different, at least they have to be :lol:

System Engineriing :P

And yeah, they will be different :lol: they won't use the giant LED screen to start with and I guess they have a bit more advanced technology than in 2006

GCnhs.gif

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. // Sir Winston Churchill

#5 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2867 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

The medals for the games were unveiled moments ago

Arab Games unveils stunning range of pearl and emerald studded medals
Posted by editor_CM on Dec 9, 2011 in Sports | 0 comments

Posted Image

The Arab Games Organising Committee (AGOC) has revealed to the world what 6,000 athletes from 21 Arab countries will be competing for: a stunning range of pearl and emerald studded Bronze, Silver, and Gold medals.

The exclusively designed medals are inspired by traditional Arab ornaments presented to noblemen and high achievers in historic times.

One of Qatar’s most precious natural resources, the pearls are symbolic of Qatar’s long history of pearl diving, while the diamond-cut, emerald body, laser-printed with the logo of the Union of Arabic National Olympic Committees, signifies hope.

Whilst the base is made out of pewter, which was first used around the beginning of the Bronze Age in the Near East, present-day Middle East, with the earliest piece of the material being found from an Egyptian tomb from 1450 BC

“Medals proudlytaken home by athletes are a lasting recognition of heroic performances– they are symbol of sporting excellence at Arab Games Doha 2011. Therefore have to be as unique as each achievement and an acknowledgement the effort, dedication and sacrifice required to compete at the highest level,” said Maher Safi, Deputy Director, Marketing, Arab Games Organising Committee.

“We are proud to unveil a unique design that represents Qatar as the home to the 12th Arab Games, Arab culture and will be a lasting memorable filled with national pride for the very best athletes in the Arab world,” he said.

Measuring 70 mm in diameter and 6 mm in thickness, the victory medals are an exquisite combination of Arab and Olympian designs.

Scheduled to kick off this weekend with a spectacular opening ceremony, Arab Games Doha 2011 will feature a total of 353 events which are to be hosted across 14 world-class competition venues. Top athletes from 21 Arab countries will compete against each other in 29 exciting sports.

In addition to the various sporting competitions, Arab Games Doha 2011 offers an array of cultural activities that will celebrate the shared and individual traditions of all Arab communities. Athletes’ Village, Katara, SouqWaqef, and Aspire Park, are all prime non-competition venues which are to host cultural events during Arab Games Doha 2011.

The mascot of the Pan Arab Games, Wathnan. It was designed by Ahmed Al Maadeed (better known as ABMQTR, who designed the Jerboa mascots for the 2011 Asian Cup). I guess it symbolize the huge importance that horses have for arab culture.

Posted Image

GCnhs.gif

#6 Sir Rols

Sir Rols

I am the walrus

• Moderators
  • 21349 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Jeez. Now THOSE are bling!

9QXxKw.jpg

#7 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2867 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Jeez. Now THOSE are bling!

They remind me a bit of Beijing 2008 medals, except they're more loaded :lol:

GCnhs.gif

#8 deawebo

deawebo

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Interests:Swimming and football (soccer)

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Those are medals from a rich country!!! Esmeralds! Imagine is Doha wins... Diamonds perhaps? :lol: The mascot was a good election, hores in the Arabian World are almost indispensable.

970105_689237304426542_1805325902_n.jpg

#9 deawebo

deawebo

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Interests:Swimming and football (soccer)

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

I have great expectations on the opening ceremony!

970105_689237304426542_1805325902_n.jpg

#10 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2867 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Just arrived. Watch the ceremony here

http://www.livestream.com/sndcoc

GCnhs.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users