Eurovision Song Contest 2012

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they haven't even chosen between the two venue designs? Wow, they are really ambitious in terms of quick-pace construction, aren't they? Either ambitious or careless...

Apparently, they have already laid the foundation for the ESC venue on Thursday -- but they don't mention in this article which design has been chosen.

http://eurovision-2012.com/?p=1024

The interesting thing is that they don't exclude the possibility that the venue can't be finished in time -- and that Tofig Bakhramov Stadium shall serve as alternate venue in such a case.

The information about the starting date of construction (or rather the confirmation date about the construction start) is from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2012

So they haven't even chosen between the two venue designs? Wow, they are really ambitious in terms of quick-pace construction, aren't they? Either ambitious or careless...

The 2nd one seems like a quicker build, yet the 1st one is more grand, fitting and symbolic. It would be a great achievement if they did complete this in time. Truly ambitious.

However, they are upgrading that existing stadium of theirs, Tofig Bakhramov, which would be an outdoor event, to serve as backup, which seems reasonable.

If their Olympic Stadium were nearing completion, then they could have proposed the installation of some retractable roof like Copenhagen did with Parken Stadium, for the 2001 Eurovision.

If it is completed, it could serve as a 2024 Olympics venue in their bid, or even should they last minute bid for 2020, proposed for use in that bid too.

Too musical theatre--but I'd totally hit that ;)

Baku might be more expensive hotel-wise than Oslo or Moscow. And it would take me about 20 hours to get there. AND then the shows would start at midnight local time approximately.

In other words, no. I'm not going. Had it been Berlin instead of Dusseldorf I'd've been there in a flash!

BTW why are they using the 2010 animations?

Should be uk entry for 2012

Me too. Would you consider going?

No, I said straight away when they won that I would not be interested in going. Although I will be going to club air again in Amsterdam to see some of the acts perform. I did that this year and it was really great.

In other words, no. I'm not going. Had it been Berlin instead of Dusseldorf I'd've been there in a flash!

It is a pitty that you didn't change your mind - I agree I was very dissapointeed after Düsseldorf was chosen, but the Esprit Arena was just fantastic as a venue - and the NDR, ProSieben, WDR and Düsseldorf did a marvellous job...

It still give me goosebumps when I watch videos from the ESC2011 - I am very proud of this years ESC - the atmosphere in the city and in the venue was just great - and the show was breathtaking - I hope you enjoyed it on TV

Dutch news site nieuws.nl report that Knight Rider and Beywatch actor David Hasselhoff is entering the 2012 Dutch national final despite been 59 years old. Previous attempts with music career proved mediocre while some success made in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The potential participation of his will not be solo as he plans to be accompanied by a female singer whom Niall Mooney (composer Ireland 2009, 2010) is already searches for her.

Earlier it was announced in the Dutch press that David Hasselhoff, mainly known from his roles in Knight Rider and Baywatch, is considering of entering a song with a dutch singer in the Dutch selection for Eurovision 2012.

It was also revealed that this would be with a song from Niall Mooney (composer Ireland 2009, 2010). However oikotimes.com has made some research and found out that the likeable singer to be connected to David is no less than Sasja Brouwers, who participated in the 2003 selection with the song ‘Rauw’ (Raw) which got very good feedback from press and public.

What is happening to the standard of Eurovision? First Jedward(who alomost spoilt my enjoyment of this years contest), and now we might get David Hasselhoff for this year. I am constantly trying to convince people of the amount of quality songs that enter Eurovision each year and have started to change views. Most people view this contest as a joke and these types of acts don't help.

I agree with you man, i wish it would just be about countries picking the best songs and singers that represent them in a competition. Not trying to be smart with famous names or entering with Joke entries that might be funny to them but have no understanding to the rest of Europe. Also it seems that certain people (jedward) enter only for that extra 15 mins of fame.

What i would like to see is:

A national final in each country (To bring more interest in each participating country)

Bringing back the orchestra

80% Jury to 20% televoting split

To some extent singing in your own language

A decrease in the ammount of pyrotechniques and stunts allowed

Abolish the Junior Eurovision Song Contest

This may bring the contest back to being about the nations of Europe showcasing their musical talents

BTW why are they using the 2010 animations?

Probably because they haven't created their own look yet. Düsseldorf didn't have its look at this time of year either.

And I agree with CAF: I think that Düsseldorf did a splendid job hosting the ESC -- and as someone who knows Düsseldorf very well, I think that you have missed something by not going there. That city has so much flair. Berlin is not the only interesting and exciting place in Germany, you know.

this awkward "I'm looking for Freedom" singer should stay away from the Eurovision Song Contest - I think "jawnbc's" hunk would be much better - I do not like his music style, but he is much sexier than this outdated Baywatch actor...

Isn't it ironic that David Hasselhoff is a jury member in that clip? ;)

I absolutely agree: If the Netherlands or any other country sent that awful, embarrassing man to the ESC, they would make a shame out of themselves. The ESC shouldn't be the opportunity for run-down has-beens to get one final moment in the spotlight.

Who makes up this ****

TODAY.AZ REPORTS

Once popular music band “Spice Girls” may reunite to participate at the international song contest “Eurovision-2012″ in Baku. Western and Russian media reported that former member of the group Geri Halliwell put up a proposal to reunite the girls, and join the contest. Halliwell thinks that the reunited “Spice Girls” will be able to do what “Blue” could not. Note that Blue brought the 11th place to the UK at the previous contest.

http://www.oikotimes.com/eurovision/2011/08/19/spice-girls-rumored-for-uk-2012/

ADO-G revealed today through the regional fan club of Azerbaijan a submitted plan for 2012 Eurovision Song Contest venue capacity of 20-25,000 seats. The 16 floor plan is proposed to be build in almost 49,000 square meters. It is also reminded that EBU had asked for a second venue to be ready in case the construction will not be ready on time.

http://www.oikotimes.com/eurovision/2011/08/25/another-potential-venue-for-2012-revealed/

After the announcement of the new format for the 2012 Eurovision selection, YLE announced the dates for Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2012. There will be five semifinals and a final, starting in January. The dates have as follow:

27.01 – Semifinal 1

03.02 – Semifinal 2

10.02 – Semifinal 3

17.02 – Semifinal 4

24.02 – Semifinal 5

25.02 – National Final

Bulgarian national broadcaster announced the dates for the semifinals and the final for the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest selection. The broadcaster calls for songs up to November 11. There will be two semifinals on December 12 and 14 and the final will take place on December 28. Submissions kick off on September 9.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived