Photo

Atlanta's cauldron draws little respect - and the others?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OneTimeOnly

OneTimeOnly

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Atlanta Games’ caldron draws little attention

By Jill Vejnoska
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nearly every family has one: The eccentric old relative stashed away in a corner. The person everyone tends to ignore and conveniently forget about.

Atlanta, meet yours: The 1996 Olympic caldron.

CLICK HERE TO READ ENTIRE ARTICLE
It's the Olympic Winter Games (OWG) NOT "Winter Olympic Games' (WOG <----- NO NO NO!)

SAN FRANCISCO 2024
Posted Image

#2 memorabilia

memorabilia

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Premium Members
  • 2215 posts
  • Interests:Winter & Summer Olympic Games
    Olympic Collector (Memorabilia, Books, DVDs)
    All sports' Bids

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

They should dismantle it, trash the iron structure and keep only the upper part, the cauldron itself and put in a public part where it could be easiliest accessible...

nanjin18.jpg

Stay tune, I'm discounting all my memorabilia items (Bid Books, Publications, Tickets, Pins, ...) : http://memorabilia75.ecwid.com/

#3 Scotguy

Scotguy

His Imperial Majesty Emperor and Autocrat of all the Scots

• Premium Members
  • 2436 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Olympic Games, Russia, History, cooking

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

Take away the steel part and move the actual cauldron to Centennial Park with the rest of the Olympic themed stuff, then they can light it and draw more tourists

olympic-games-closing-ceremony-Sochi-201

#4 Brekkie Boy

Brekkie Boy

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

It's just horrid - you have the magic of Mohammed Ali and then if the cauldron wasn't ugly enough already, they stick it on some scaffolding - although Vancouver has given it a run for it's money in terms of ugliness.

A nice whistlestop tour here of all the Summer Olympic cauldrons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLrxYAM-l7A
Youtube

#5 baron-pierreIV

baron-pierreIV

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 38840 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

It's just horrid - you have the magic of Mohammed Ali and then if the cauldron wasn't ugly enough already, they stick it on some scaffolding - although Vancouver has given it a run for it's money in terms of ugliness.

If you visit Atlanta's site at night, you'll be spared seeing that base; and barely the cauldron. Or they should just dump it on Ginger Watkins's backyard (She was the ACOG woman who chose that dumb Siah Armajani as the designer.)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies"

www.secretolympiceremony.com

Updated 2014 print edition (with section on Sochi) NOW available.  

Only (previous) 2011 edition available in eBook format which has only 15 images vs. 150+ images in print version.  (This is due to load limitations of an eBook format.)   

10% off via my website or www.createspace.com/3396522 using this discount code: 6Y79VJR7.

Cover_single_A2-1.jpg

#6 Rob.

Rob.

Torch Bearer 10000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 16264 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I enjoyed the '96 Games as the first I remember watching, and will defend them and indeed the stadium concept. But the cauldron I'm afraid I only love for its symbolism and for seeing Mohammed Ali lighting it.

That said, this was and is a symbol of when this city was very briefly the centre of the World. It would be nice if it was brought to life - either completely or like Sydney's, partially in a different guise - rather than languishing doing nothing.

#7 paul

paul

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Premium Members
  • 2187 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

#8 Lord David

Lord David

Flag Bearer Level 3

• Premium Members
  • 3535 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:38 AM

I never really liked the Atlanta 1996 Cauldron.

What it should have been was the same top, perhaps with the Olympic rings in gold on the base (or perhaps the leaves pattern used in the game's look), with that ghastly supporting structure (yes I am aware it was intended to have someone climb up, but was changed to Ali in the last minute), not looking like sloppy scaffolding. I would have made it an elegant looking Greek style column, with a spiral staircase (with leveled "break" platforms on the way).

Tokyo is one of the world's popular cities including me!

logos_zps0eff8ea0.jpg

#9 barrack

barrack

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

I never really liked the Atlanta 1996 Cauldron.

What it should have been was the same top, perhaps with the Olympic rings in gold on the base (or perhaps the leaves pattern used in the game's look), with that ghastly supporting structure (yes I am aware it was intended to have someone climb up, but was changed to Ali in the last minute), not looking like sloppy scaffolding. I would have made it an elegant looking Greek style column, with a spiral staircase (with leveled "break" platforms on the way).

perhaps they can move it the olympic park and remake the pedestal of the cauldron to resemble the emblem of the games?

#10 Ace

Ace

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

A nice whistlestop tour here of all the Summer Olympic cauldrons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLrxYAM-l7A
Youtube

Uh Atlanta is the ugliest hands down IMO. I actually kinda liked Vancouvers cauldron :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users