Now what?

I tried browsing the London and Sochi boards to get a feel of what happens next, but I still haven't a clue as it's not something I ever had to deal with. Maybe some Vancouver/London/Sochi/Rio enthusiasts can help.

If the past means anything, it seems like an organizing committee will be formed around Sept/Oct, and then a year or two will be spent tendering contracts for construction and development. Does that sound right? Will there be anything happening in the next 2 years to keep me occupied with interest? I mean, I can't wait to discuss PC's development on these boards, I just wonder if anything will actually outside the boardrooms and offices for the next while.

And what of PC? Will they get to have access to Vancouver's plans and strategies? Will they get to work alongside Sochi, or are they more on their own in this regard?

The first steps are probably going to be the formation of the OCOG, sorting out ministerial/government responsibilities and putting the required laws through needed for the planning and oversight of the preps as well as to protect the Olympic and PC trademarks etc. The IOC, in turn, will set up its own coordination committee soon, so you'll find out which IOC members will be flying into Korea often over the next seven years to kep tabs on how things are going.

I'd ask you, what actually needs to be built for PC now?

Normally, you'd probably be waiting till after Sochi at least for a bit of the branding and the logo etc to appear. But lately, in both Sochi's and Rio's cases, a lot of that seems to be being released earlier and earlier. So maybe we might see the logo or something released next year (be prepared, though. Everyone loves bitchin about the graphics here - if a PC logo gets more than 50 per cent approval here you're doing well).

The IOC these days does colate and pass on host city knowledge to upcoming hosts. So, yes, you will have the experience of Vancouver to draw on. Also, yes, the PC OCOG will be allowed to have lots of extra technical delegates at Sochi (probably even London and Rio) to observe the operations and get some experience and feel for what needs to be done.

The first steps are probably going to be the formation of the OCOG, sorting out ministerial/government responsibilities and putting the required laws through needed for the planning and oversight of the preps as well as to protect the Olympic and PC trademarks etc. The IOC, in turn, will set up its own coordination committee soon, so you'll find out which IOC members will be flying into Korea often over the next seven years to kep tabs on how things are going.

I'd ask you, what actually needs to be built for PC now?

Normally, you'd probably be waiting till after Sochi at least for a bit of the branding and the logo etc to appear. But lately, in both Sochi's and Rio's cases, a lot of that seems to be being released earlier and earlier. So maybe we might see the logo or something released next year (be prepared, though. Everyone loves bitchin about the graphics here - if a PC logo gets more than 50 per cent approval here you're doing well).

The IOC these days does colate and pass on host city knowledge to upcoming hosts. So, yes, you will have the experience of Vancouver to draw on. Also, yes, the PC OCOG will be allowed to have lots of extra technical delegates at Sochi (probably even London and Rio) to observe the operations and get some experience and feel for what needs to be done.

Thanks Rols. It all sounds so exciting, I wish I could be a part of the 7-year planning. :(

As for what actually needs to be built- everything! Everything from roads to accomodation to amenities to the venues... MUCH will be improved to conform to Olympic proportions. Pyeongchang will be a far different place in 6-7 years. Well, knowing Korea, they'll probably have everything done in 5 years. Ahh, the ride should be fun! I just hope there's enough to talk about here in the earlier stages.

Thanks Rols. It all sounds so exciting, I wish I could be a part of the 7-year planning. :(

I wouldn't hesitate getting in touch with the OCOG (I wonder if it's gonna by called POCOG?) as soon as they're up and running. There may well be roles for bi-lingual Korean-English speakers you might be able to help with (I suspect you're not planning on moving to Korea, though).

Would you consider putting your name down for the volunteer ranks when they start the call for that?

I wouldn't hesitate getting in touch with the OCOG (I wonder if it's gonna by called POCOG?) as soon as they're up and running. There may well be roles for bi-lingual Korean-English speakers you might be able to help with (I suspect you're not planning on moving to Korea, though).

Would you consider putting your name down for the volunteer ranks when they start the call for that?

Yeah I wouldn't plan on moving to Korea, but I'd like to help in whatever capacity (annual trips to Korea are doable though). Honestly, I doubt they'll really find much use for me being overseas. But couldn't hurt to try I guess.

About the call for volunteers- when does this occur? That's another piece of info I couldn't find in my searches today. Thanks again.

As for what actually needs to be built- everything! Everything from roads to accomodation to amenities to the venues... MUCH will be improved to conform to Olympic proportions. Pyeongchang will be a far different place in 6-7 years. Well, knowing Korea, they'll probably have everything done in 5 years. Ahh, the ride should be fun! I just hope there's enough to talk about here in the earlier stages.

Maybe you can clarify the construction part, I was of the impression that some of the venues were already built. What needs to be done in terms of construction and infrastructure improvements? I do not believe the bullet train is done, for example.

As for past city experience, I do not believe Vancouver has released their report yet, so you, that is the PCOC, will have access to that and of course an observation delegation will be sent to Sochi, maybe London.

I agree, any Koreans who can should volunteer their time to help out, it is needed and will be a very worth while experience.

Maybe you can clarify the construction part, I was of the impression that some of the venues were already built. What needs to be done in terms of construction and infrastructure improvements? I do not believe the bullet train is done, for example.

As for past city experience, I do not believe Vancouver has released their report yet, so you, that is the PCOC, will have access to that and of course an observation delegation will be sent to Sochi, maybe London.

I agree, any Koreans who can should volunteer their time to help out, it is needed and will be a very worth while experience.

According to PC, 7 of the 13 venues are already built. I'm not sure if even the 7 completed venues need improving upon, they might. Yes the bullet train of course, but I think I remember hearing that the highways will also be improved as well. Accomodation and amenities as well.. need to be built. I went to visit the Pyeongchang area 4 years ago, and I recall thinking that there was lots of work to be done to prepare for an event the magnitude of the Olympics. Mind you, I have no doubt they can do it, and that the area will be better off for it after the Games. Gangneung is a different story, they already have the infrastructure in place, so for the ice cluster, it will be more about the venues themselves.

I'm sure there will be more than enough volunteers for PC 2018. Koreans have a collective spirit and will do anything if it brings them together.

The volunteering part... let's see what I can offer and what they need. It's hard being away from the action. I'd love to volunteer for an Olympics in Eastern Canada (I'd definitely be more excited about a Toronto Olympics than a Pyeongchang one), but until that happens, PC is the one I want to help.

About the call for volunteers- when does this occur? That's another piece of info I couldn't find in my searches today. Thanks again.

Usually, I think, about two years ahead. Stay tuned - It'll be for sure mentioned when it's coming up here.

Looks loike there will already be one first for PC - the first games to be opened and closed by two differehnt presidents:

One President to Open, Another to Close Pyeongchang Olympics

The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang will be opened and closed by two different Korean presidents as the games start on Feb. 9, 2018 and end on Feb. 25, and the presidential inauguration is scheduled earlier on the closing day.

In line with the Constitution, the tenure of the 18th president, who is elected in December next year, starts at midnight on Feb. 25, 2013 and ends at midnight on Feb. 24, 2018. Korea's 19th president will be inaugurated in the National Assembly on the morning of Feb. 25, 2018.

It is unclear whether the Pyeongchang bid committee took this into consideration when it finalized the schedule for the Olympics.

The 19th president will go on a motorized parade from the National Assembly to Cheong Wa Dae after his inauguration ceremony and will then probably attend the closing ceremony in Pyeongchang in the evening. The new president's appearance at the international event, televised around the world, is expected to boost publicity. Some predict the outgoing and incoming presidents will attend the closing ceremony together.

englishnews@chosun.com

I tried browsing the London and Sochi boards to get a feel of what happens next, but I still haven't a clue as it's not something I ever had to deal with. Maybe some Vancouver/London/Sochi/Rio enthusiasts can help.

If the past means anything, it seems like an organizing committee will be formed around Sept/Oct, and then a year or two will be spent tendering contracts for construction and development. Does that sound right? Will there be anything happening in the next 2 years to keep me occupied with interest? I mean, I can't wait to discuss PC's development on these boards, I just wonder if anything will actually outside the boardrooms and offices for the next while.

And what of PC? Will they get to have access to Vancouver's plans and strategies? Will they get to work alongside Sochi, or are they more on their own in this regard?

Gang, you should get in touch with your local Korean communities there in the Toronto(?) area and hook up with the special Cultural or Sports Attache of the Korean embassy in Ottawa. Get involved in events that will promote 2018 in your local area. I remember when I was living in LA 1984-1988, the very big Korean community in LA was very active in promoting Seoul 1988 in a lot of LA festivities...street fairs, etc., and even entering a Seoul float in the 1988 Tournament of Roses Parade. All that will also get you noticed with the right people in PC with whom you will have made contact them come the time for them to recruit expatriate half-Koreans for work come Games-time. They may even start naming "Ambassadors" of one sort or another of 2018 to the various expatriate Korean communities abroad -- and there's your chance!!

Looks loike there will already be one first for PC - the first games to be opened and closed by two differehnt presidents:

What a lucky prez! Who else will ever get this type of exposure, to show your face to hundreds of millions of viewers on your first day on the job.

Gang, you should get in touch with your local Korean communities there in the Toronto(?) area and hook up with the special Cultural or Sports Attache of the Korean embassy in Ottawa. Get involved in events that will promote 2018 in your local area. I remember when I was living in LA 1984-1988, the very big Korean community in LA was very active in promoting Seoul 1988 in a lot of LA festivities...street fairs, etc., and even entering a Seoul float in the 1988 Tournament of Roses Parade. All that will also get you noticed with the right people in PC with whom you will have made contact them come the time for them to recruit expatriate half-Koreans for work come Games-time. They may even start naming "Ambassadors" of one sort or another of 2018 to the various expatriate Korean communities abroad -- and there's your chance!!

Thanks for the suggestion M, but I think 1988 was a much bigger deal for Korea than 2018 is. Add to that the universality of the internet, and I don't think there is much of a need to promote the Games overseas the way there was in the past. I think I'll wait until the organizing committee is formed and just take it from there. B)

Here we go, Gang - a first announcement of immediate tasks:

Korea Announces Plans for Successful Pyeongchang Winter Games

Korea's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism announced Thursday its plans for a successful 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games.

The ministry plans to form a Pyeongchang Olympic Committee within the next three months, which will be in charge of the systematic preparation for the large international sports event.

Moreover, a so-called "Culture Olympics" is also in the talks, as the government sees the Winter Games as an opportunity to promote Korean culture.

This includes holding an event overseas every year to introduce Korean arts and culture.

The ministry is also seeking ways to reduce greenhouse gas emission and reuse some of the sports infrastructures after the Winter Olympics.

And about 5-hundred-50 billion won, or around 520-million US dollars will be invested for cultivating future athletes.

arirang tv

Thanks again Rols, helpful as always.

No worries!

Actually, the first REALLY BIG exciting milestone is when it get's a dedicated forum of it's own on Upcoming Games on GamesBids!

;)

And, of course, the countdown clock (Taichi can hardly wait!)

What a lucky prez! Who else will ever get this type of exposure, to show your face to hundreds of millions of viewers on your first day on the job.

Maybe. But usually the head of state doesn't get that much exposure at a closing ceremony, since she or he doesn't give a speech there. Usually the announcer only welcomes the dignitaries at the start of the ceremony, and that's it. That's also why those US presidents who attended opening ceremonies on home soil (Reagan in 1984, Clinton in 1996 and Bush in 2002) didn't attend the closing ceremonies anymore. In Clinton's and Bush's case, they sent their vice presidents Gore and Cheney instead. I believe Reagan didn't even send his vice president Bush Sr..

^ Correct! The head of state for the host nation officially opens the Olympics Games at the opening ceremony, but at the closing ceremony the Games are officially closed by the President of the International Olympic Committee. So whoever the incoming President of the Republic of Korea in 2018 is, he or she will barely get any notice at all during the closing ceremony. The main focus will be on the celebratory athletes of the 2018 Games and the handover to the host of the 2022 Games.

^ Correct! The head of state for the host nation officially opens the Olympics Games at the opening ceremony, but at the closing ceremony the Games are officially closed by the President of the International Olympic Committee. So whoever the incoming President of the Republic of Korea in 2018 is, he or she will barely get any notice at all during the closing ceremony. The main focus will be on the celebratory athletes of the 2018 Games and the handover to the host of the 2022 Games.

Not unless they make an exception to spotlight the NEW President at Closing. After all, the IOC allowed the 1988 Miss Universe from Thailand, to march alongside the Thai delegation at the Seoul Opening; and Manny Pacquiao to carry the Philippine flag in Beijing. Technically, neither had ANY official connection with the Olympics. If it's not rules and procedures, the IOC is flexible enough to allow some variance on little points, especially to accommodate the hosts....or NBC!! ;)

Rules are made to be broken.

Even if he doesn't play an official role, considering this would likely be the first public appearance and duty of a newly sworn-in president would probably guarantee he gets lots of attention at the CC - in Korea at least. I doubt the rest of the world will pay attention or care, however.

Archived