Will North Korea boycott?

Maybe South Korea ice hockey team can't participate in the 2018 Olympics.

There is no automatic qualify for the host country. :o

Wrong! Although technically there is no qualification for the host nation with regards to the sport of Ice Hockey in the Winter Olympics, being hosts, the host nation is given a spot (or an exemption to the rules will be made by the IIHF). They may also compete in their respective regional tournament even though they are automatic hosts.

A good example of this is Nagano 1998, Japan competed in it's regional competition in Asia, in spite of being automatic qualifiers as hosts,

Although technically there is no qualification for the host nation with regards to the sport of Ice Hockey in the Winter Olympics, being hosts, the host nation is given a spot (or an exemption to the rules will be made by the IIHF). They may also compete in their respective regional tournament even though they are automatic hosts.

Yeah, Probably, the ignorance of the Korean media.

Olympics: N. Korea 'wants to share 2018 Games'

SEOUL: North Korea would like to share some events in the 2018 Winter Olympics with South Korea, a senior North Korean sports official was quoted as saying Wednesday.

Jang Ung, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said it was "positive" for Asia to host only its third Winter Games, the South's Yonhap news agency reported from Tokyo

Asked about the possibility of sharing some events with host town Pyeongchang, Jang replied, "I hope so."

"The political and military situations between the Koreas aren't good and they have to be improved," Jang was quoted as saying. "Otherwise, they could influence the Olympics."

North Korean IOC member supported Pyeongchang's rival

It's been claimed that the North Korean IOC member voted for Munich. Typical of North Korea to take, take and take some more from South Korea, but never give. If co-hosting was such a great idea, why didn't you vote for PC?

And I always was given the impression that the NK IOC member had supported PC in 2007, when it's suggested that Chang Ung actually voted for Sochi instead. South Korea couldn't even count on indicated support from its closest geographical and ethnic neighbour. Sorry North Korea, I'm not a fan of all this doublespeak. You don't deserve anything for trying to keep the South down.

And they don't even deserve that!

To clarify my previous post, I believe that NK's IOC member had actually pledged support to PC yet ended up (allegedly) doing the opposite. Yeah I know ppl change their minds but this is more likely too much of a coincidence.

Edit: pledged support in 2007

A little too rosy and optimistic for my liking, but a related read anyway:

North Korean regime and the 2018 Olympics

How N.Korea Can Help to Host the 2018 Winter Olympics

I had a chance to watch the 1992 Summer Olympics while hiding in China after defecting from North Korea, and the stellar performance of the South Korean Olympic team was a complete shock for me. I don't know why, but I was in tears after Hwang Young-jo finish first in the marathon as the Olympics came to a climax. If the North Korean people had seen Hwang's victory, they would have reacted the same way I did.

I visited Pyongyang in 1989 and talked with a friend about the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. I heard that children of high-ranking government officials watched the games and were unable to contain their emotions and ended up sharing the footage with their friends. They were caught and sent to prison camps. The handful of students in Pyongyang who saw the games were unable to contain their pride. The incredible fourth-place finish of the South Korean team was a stellar accomplishment and something to be proud of.

But most North Koreans have no idea that Seoul hosted the Summer Games in 1988. At that time, the North Korean regime imposed a complete blackout on any news about the games, and back then it was possible to control the spread of information. North Korea blew up a Korean Air passenger plane in order to ruin the Summer Olympics in Seoul and spent a fortune to host an international gathering of students. It paid for most of the expenses and invited young people from around the world to visit Pyongyang. As a result, the country's economy went bankrupt, but it succeeded in shutting its people off from the news about the Seoul Olympics.

If North Koreans had been allowed to watch the games, there is a strong possibility that the North Korean regime would not have lasted. One of the reasons why communist governments in Eastern Europe fell even though they were vastly better off than North Korea was that people there saw the miracle of western development.

Pyeongchang has been chosen to host the 2018 Winter Olympics. The event will be an even bigger thorn in the side of the Kim dynasty, because the North has lost its ability to control the flow of information. The Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang may be tantamount to a death sentence for the North Korean regime. It may be reassuring its people that all their problems will be solved when the country becomes a "powerful, prosperous nation" in 2012, but the reality they face is starvation or a few plates of gruel a day for those who are lucky. If the regime fails to live up to the promise next year, the people there will shift their allegiance to South Korea, because they will realize that they had been duped by the Kim dynasty for 50 years.

After Pyeongchang won the Olympic bid, some suggested forming a single Korean team. But those suggestions are merely politically motivated gestures and do not take into account the situation of the North Korean people. The Olympics are not an event that can be shared with the Kim Jong-il regime, which has enslaved its people. There is no guarantee that the regime will last that long, and even if it does, the only way for the two Koreas to jointly host the Winter Olympics is if the Kim regime collapses and North Korea embraces democracy. Given the anger the people of North Korea feel, that may well happen sooner than we think.

By Kang Chol-hwan from the Chosun Ilbo's News Desk

Interesting. I wonder then if it wasn't for him, could PyeongChang edged out Sochi instead for 2014. Cuz all PyeongChang would've needed was just 3 more votes to claim victory. So that was Jang's vote & perhaps a couple of others that he was able to "convince" otherwise.

And what I also find interesting, is that why would the IOC even let Jang vote to begin with, knowing full well the politial unrest between the 2 Korean Peninsula nations. You would think that would fall under the IOC Ethics Panel.

Interesting. I wonder then if it wasn't for him, could PyeongChang edged out Sochi instead for 2014. Cuz all PyeongChang would've needed was just 3 more votes to claim victory. So that was Jang's vote & perhaps a couple of others that he was able to "convince" otherwise.

And what I also find interesting, is that why would the IOC even let Jang vote to begin with, knowing full well the politial unrest between the 2 Korean Peninsula nations. You would think that would fall under the IOC Ethics Panel.

Yeah I was thinking that too. But all's well that ends well, a win by a massive majority like in Durban leaves no room for doubt as to what the IOC wanted.

And the IOC did the right thing in letting Jang vote. To exclude him begins a slippery slope, as who is to say then when a foreign IOC member has a vested interest in a race? It would be no different than Jang not voting for NY or Chicago.

North Korean IOC member supported Pyeongchang's rival

It's been claimed that the North Korean IOC member voted for Munich. Typical of North Korea to take, take and take some more from South Korea, but never give. If co-hosting was such a great idea, why didn't you vote for PC?

And I always was given the impression that the NK IOC member had supported PC in 2007, when it's suggested that Chang Ung actually voted for Sochi instead. South Korea couldn't even count on indicated support from its closest geographical and ethnic neighbour. Sorry North Korea, I'm not a fan of all this doublespeak. You don't deserve anything for trying to keep the South down.

And Seoul should make that ABUNDANTLY Clear to those nimrods in the north of their hideous duplicity!! Shame them!! And the South Korean NOC should lodge a formal complaint too with the IOC, just so long as it's on record.

If North Korea wants to play Olympic host, then they can do what South Korea did...carefully plan out and invest their time and resources on bidding for the Olympic Games. And if they want to boycott, they are free to do that as well. No one will miss them.

Speaking from a purely selfish standpoint:

North Korea has nuclear weapons, a huge army and a paranoid madman for a ruler. I would be much happier as an Olympic tourist if there were an active participant in the games, rather than them being bitter, angry boycotters.

Speaking from a purely selfish standpoint:

North Korea has nuclear weapons, a huge army and a paranoid madman for a ruler. I would be much happier as an Olympic tourist if there were an active participant in the games, rather than them being bitter, angry boycotters.

LOL. Well think of it this way. If the North attacks the South anytime OUTSIDE of the Olympics, then they are declaring war on the South. If the North attacks the South DURING the Olympics while the world is present, they are declaring war on the world. That's just asking for self-inflicted annihilation. Even Mad Kim isn't *that* mad.

Moot point all around, though. The North is all talk and no bite.

It'll probably just end up like 1988 Seoul. North Korea and a few crony allied nations boycott the games, whilst North Korea tries to steal some of the spotlight by hosting one of their Mass Games events.

Yeah, lots of intermittent noise and sabre rattling in the lead-up, which will all be just so much hot air.

Actually, though, rather than boycott, what's the chances that the two Korean teams will march together in the OC?

• 4 months later...

Now that Kim Jong-il is dead and Kim Jong-un is most likely to succeed him, it remains the question on whether North Korea will do participate in the Games or use PyeongChang as target practice for the North Korean military. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Well, there is a 98% chance that an armed conflict might break out prior to 2018, and yes, this planet want to break the Kim's bones. I am ordering the IOC to issue a preventive cancellation of the XXIII Winter Olympics, and an indefinite suspension of the DPRK from the IOC membership, to be labeled as an "Extreme risk for modern olympism"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived