The Look of the Games

Today the "look" of Sochi 2014 was unveiled. It's based off a patchwork quilt, with a repeating 16 designs that represent different folk art motifs from throughout Russia. I know a few people will say this is a direct rip off of Atlanta (which has always been one of my favourite looks), but I think it's a great concept, and shows a lot of promise. Of course it will evolve in the next 3 years, but it's a better start than what some of the other Games have had this far out.

Screenshot2011-04-25at10934PM.png

ducgjwrjxx3.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit more on this:

Sochi 2014 Look of the Games Concept Revealed

The Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee today revealed the concept of an integrated visual Look of the Games for the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games in 2014.

The Sochi 2014 Look of the Games concept is a logical continuation of the philosophy behind the sochi.ru brand. It offers a new interpretation of different cultures, traditions and ethnicities which together form a united and powerful visual identity.

At the heart of the Look of the Games concept design lies the principle of the "patchwork quilt" - a combination of 16 designs representing the most famous traditional Russian arts and crafts, ranging from Gzhel to Khokhloma. The Look of the Games concept is the visual embodiment of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games philosophy and is intended to express the character of modern Russia whilst at the same time introducing guests from all over the world to traditional Russian hospitality.

Sochi 2014 in its process to develop this innovative and stunning Look of the Games was supported by BoscoSport, sports and leisure apparel company and one of Sochi 2014’s tier one Partners, that today formally handed-over the Look of the Games concept to the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee.

More detail here: http://sochi2014.com/en/sochi-live/news/39323/

Uzo.jpg

y7edcdfb6.jpg

Far, far better than those horrible dead-cells. I'm glad they've changed it, and me being an admirer of russian folcklore and art i love this look of the games.

If only the logo would be good as this one... :(

Now i guess they'll change the website eventually as well to match the new branding

A good start and certainly more interesting than the mascots. I think there's a lot of potential in using this patchwork as a basis for the rest of the Games' design.

And I said when the Sochi logo was launched that it'd come good once it had a bit more context. I think these banners go some way to proving that. The simplicity of the logo really works against the intricacy of the "look".

So, a good start. I'll be interested to see how Sochi's team integrates the sports into its design. I suppose we need to wait for the pictograms to get an idea of that, but it seems to me so far that Sochi is following Vancouver in having a very plain logo, but a beautifully detailed "look".

(Hmmmmm...same idea as Atlanta. )

This is too busy.

Nothing wintry or "clean" about it. :(

D minus.

To be honest, i think Vancouver look, although beautiful, was more busy than this

And i agree, is the same idea like Atlanta, but with a different execution.

Too busy but I find it refreshing. Nothing about it reminds me of Atlanta 1996.

Atlanta's Look was centered on "A Patch/Quilt work of Leaves" and there was even a whole number in the Closing Ceremony about it. Yeah, this is a slightly different execution (worse) but they copied the idea.

http://www.theolympicdesign.com/deu/olympic-look/my-experiences-in.../atlanta-1996/

I wonder how it would look on tanks, cruise missles and their aging nuclear subs? :lol:

I bet the 2018 World Cup team must be cringing with some horror.

A bit more colourful, I suppose, than the Atlanta green quilt looked on the Polaris missiles, FA-18s and stealth bombers.

;)

I like it - to me, this is more the logo/design than that boring Sochi.ru type. Very folk art Russian, like the colours.

One thing I'm surprised nobody has picked up on - It's a bit early isn't it? Usually the look is only unveiled in the last few year or six months leading up to the games. We haven't seen London's official look yet (though we've had lots of teasing glimpses). Why has Sochi already introduced their "look" so early, indeed even before the summer games before it has shown its style? Is this to make up for the underwhelming logo?

One thing I'm surprised nobody has picked up on - It's a bit early isn't it? Usually the look is only unveiled in the last few year or six months leading up to the games. We haven't seen London's official look yet (though we've had lots of teasing glimpses). Why has Sochi already introduced their "look" so early, indeed even before the summer games before it has shown its style? Is this to make up for the underwhelming logo?

They took advantage of a lot of the winter Sports press being in Moscow for the postponed World Figure Skating Champs (which started yesterday) to unveil this. Altho why 3 years ahead of time...and as you said, even ahead of London's? Do they think NBC will up the ante for the 2014-16 rights with these colors? :blink:

Too busy

Busy's good for hiding hidden messages. Has anybody picked out any disguised offensive messages yet?

Actually, the more I'm looking at it, the more I'm liking it. I don't mind a bit of fine detailed one for a change. But talk about going from minimalist to flamboyant! It so more than makes up for that logo abortion.

I agree it is the same concept as Atlanta but fits with the Russian theme. Where however is the continuity? The logo, mascots and look, appear different with no flow or link to them

I like it!

But I think this is busier than Vancouvers and some already had problems for the Vancouver looks being a distraction especially in Pacific Colosseum for Short Track and Figure Skating.

Yes, I think they'll have to tone it down for "pitchside" banners etc.

But they've got 3 years (!) to refine this. I mean, we haven't even seen the pictograms yet have we?

I'm disappointed.

There is no unity to the overall design.

There is simply too many competing colours and it doesn't give you that "Winter Games" feeling at all.

If anything it looks and feels more like Christmas decorations than the Olympics.

They certainly picked up on the successful Canadian model by attempting to seed the "Games of Russia" theme - with every part of the country feeling a part of the 2014 Olympics.

However, overall it sure doesn't beat Vancouver 2010, which was probably the best "Look of the Games" ever in the history of the Olympics.

Louroz

However, overall it sure doesn't beat Vancouver 2010, which was probably the best "Look of the Games" ever in the history of the Olympics.

I respectfully disagree. Vancouver's, for me, was already too busy with all those curlicues and tentacles and little things thrown in. And the blue-&-green theme were DULL and boring for me for a Winter Games.

I still think Salt Lake's has been the best so far..in theme...in color palette...in simple, bold geometric patterns.

Archived