• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Citizen-Seth

Citizen-Seth

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:I heard you were looking for me?

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Today the "look" of Sochi 2014 was unveiled. It's based off a patchwork quilt, with a repeating 16 designs that represent different folk art motifs from throughout Russia. I know a few people will say this is a direct rip off of Atlanta (which has always been one of my favourite looks), but I think it's a great concept, and shows a lot of promise. Of course it will evolve in the next 3 years, but it's a better start than what some of the other Games have had this far out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

WE LOVE BELA BARTOK

Annecy is still cool, right? 

mapcopy.png

#2 Citius Altius Fortius

Citius Altius Fortius

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Moderators
  • 24017 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

I like it - it reminds me on Russian folklore

danke1_zpsa75db892.jpg

#3 Bruce

Bruce

(Rob's Ozzie cousin)

• Premium Members
  • 16066 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

Bit more on this:

Sochi 2014 Look of the Games Concept Revealed

The Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee today revealed the concept of an integrated visual Look of the Games for the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games in 2014.

The Sochi 2014 Look of the Games concept is a logical continuation of the philosophy behind the sochi.ru brand. It offers a new interpretation of different cultures, traditions and ethnicities which together form a united and powerful visual identity.

At the heart of the Look of the Games concept design lies the principle of the "patchwork quilt" - a combination of 16 designs representing the most famous traditional Russian arts and crafts, ranging from Gzhel to Khokhloma. The Look of the Games concept is the visual embodiment of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games philosophy and is intended to express the character of modern Russia whilst at the same time introducing guests from all over the world to traditional Russian hospitality.

Sochi 2014 in its process to develop this innovative and stunning Look of the Games was supported by BoscoSport, sports and leisure apparel company and one of Sochi 2014ís tier one Partners, that today formally handed-over the Look of the Games concept to the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee.

More detail here: http://sochi2014.com...ive/news/39323/

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Citizen-Seth

Citizen-Seth

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:I heard you were looking for me?

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Great find on those other pictures. I love how intricate it is, and think it will end up being less distracting in the venues than Vancouver's.

WE LOVE BELA BARTOK

Annecy is still cool, right? 

mapcopy.png

#5 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Far, far better than those horrible dead-cells. I'm glad they've changed it, and me being an admirer of russian folcklore and art i love this look of the games.

If only the logo would be good as this one... :(

Now i guess they'll change the website eventually as well to match the new branding

c0Aw9NH.png

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. // Sir Winston Churchill

#6 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

More pictures, you can see how it will be used on buses, shirts, airplanes, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

c0Aw9NH.png

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. // Sir Winston Churchill

#7 Bruce

Bruce

(Rob's Ozzie cousin)

• Premium Members
  • 16066 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

A good start and certainly more interesting than the mascots. I think there's a lot of potential in using this patchwork as a basis for the rest of the Games' design.

And I said when the Sochi logo was launched that it'd come good once it had a bit more context. I think these banners go some way to proving that. The simplicity of the logo really works against the intricacy of the "look".

So, a good start. I'll be interested to see how Sochi's team integrates the sports into its design. I suppose we need to wait for the pictograms to get an idea of that, but it seems to me so far that Sochi is following Vancouver in having a very plain logo, but a beautifully detailed "look".

Edited by RobH, 25 April 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#8 baron-pierreIV

baron-pierreIV

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 38385 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

(Hmmmmm...same idea as Atlanta. )

This is too busy.

Nothing wintry or "clean" about it. :(

D minus.

Edited by baron-pierreIV, 25 April 2011 - 01:22 PM.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies"

www.secretolympiceremony.com

Updated 2014 print edition (with section on Sochi) NOW available.  

Only (previous) 2011 edition available in eBook format which has only 15 images vs. 150+ images in print version.  (This is due to load limitations of an eBook format.)   

10% off via my website or www.createspace.com/3396522 using this discount code: 6Y79VJR7.

Cover_single_A2-1.jpg

#9 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

(Hmmmmm...same idea as Atlanta. )

This is too busy.

Nothing wintry or "clean" about it. :(

D minus.

To be honest, i think Vancouver look, although beautiful, was more busy than this

And i agree, is the same idea like Atlanta, but with a different execution.

c0Aw9NH.png

#10 Rafa

Rafa

Flag Bearer Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6576 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

Too busy but I find it refreshing. Nothing about it reminds me of Atlanta 1996.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users