Alpine slope

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to be typical outcry by a small few who think it's best to limit all development that touches nature. I think we see this in every bid and really almost all development projects to one degree or another. I wouldn't write off the concerns but the Korean bid team and government seem to have incorporated responsible and reasonable measures to address the concerns by transplanting many of the trees and growth that may be affected. Someone will always be unhappy about the nature vs development debate, but it's not like Korea is not responsible about development, and they are certainly not overdeveloped which you sometimes use as another reason why you don't want PC to win.

Well said. The tree hugging hippies in Vancouver were even more vocal about protesting the Vancouver Games. Some development is inevitable, even if it is done responsibly. Some people will never be happy.

I can't understand. Why does IOC environmental inspections ? What for ? Korea's conditions are not suitable. Korea can't host the Winter Olympics according to the FIS.

The International Ski Federation (FIS) has issued an official report stating that North Cholla Province’s Muju region doesn’t meet Olympic standards to become South Korea’s candidate for the 2014 Winter Olympic bid, leaving the Gangwon Province city of Pyeongchang the sole candidate.

According to an official letter to the Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) Tuesday, the FIS wrote, “(We) cannot support the construction of new race courses on the terrain of Muju’s South-Dokyu Mountain for technical and environment reasons”.

IFS conducted field assessments on the downhill and super-G ski courses in the area in September and November. The letter said, “the (South Dokyu) mountain has a vertical drop of approximately 750 to 800 metres. Only certain parts of the terrain have the potential to be developed into a competition course”.

The KOC is to hold a standing meeting on December 21 and a general meeting on December 29 to decide the selection of a candidate by the end of the year.

Lee Yoon-jae, Secretary General of the Korea Sports Council, said the FIS is very determined about its decision, and the decision is not likely to be reversed or suspended.

But there are protests from Jeonbuk provincial authorities. They say, “the inspection conducted by the FIS was about facility standards. But the report only offers tests on environmental effects without any information on facility standards. It is suspicious that there might have been an invisible force behind the inspection. It is unfair that the report cited that only Jeonbuk province was unsuitable for the Games, even though environment damage is inevitable for Gangwon province too if they want to develop their planned descent course in Jungbong on Mt. Gariwang”

Some Pyeongchang supporters say the possibility of Korea, but it turns out that's not true. Ski resorts can't make anymore in Korea. The mountain is not enough, there is not enough demand for winter sport. When you consider enough possibilities and athletes should not choose Korea.

In Korea, There is no large resort except Muju and Pyeongchang, but Muju Dokyu is the national park. Pyeongchang Jungbong is the primeval forest and protected area. In addition, These two places have the low mountains below 1,500m.

Korea is not ready for the Winter Olympics host. Korea is not New horizons.

If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. The park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

For the Popular Winter Sports. When Pyeongchang was held in 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC, There was no admission fee for Korean. Nevertheless, the spectators almost did not come. Everyone agrees. According to unnamed sources, Some IOC members are concerned about it, Pyeongchang is not for atheltes.

For the Downhill, Downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

For the Possibility of Pyeongchang, Korea have just 18 resorts, almost smaller size. Yongpyeong is the largest resort in Korea. But, less 20 times than Whistler. Moreover, Ski resorts can't make anymore in Korea. Because, The mountain is not enough. Muju resort in Korea as the second large-scale. Nevertheless, Mountain conditions are not good. FIS wrote, “(We) cannot support the construction of new race courses on the terrain of Muju’s South-Dokyu Mountain for technical and environment reasons”. There are no foreigners that coming to Korea for skiing in the winter. China and Japan or any Asian have no reason to come to Korea in the winter. Because, Japan and China's conditions are better than Korea. Rather, a lot of Koreans going to Japan for skiing and snowboard.

For Alpensia resort, have debt 800 million dollars, have just 6 short slopes. So, Asia's winter hub is impossible. Also, It is not for public, have 100 more luxury houses and golf course for VIP.A few days ago, the audit results by the government auditors; Alpensia resort constructed without considering the feasibility, Excessive construction despite the expected loss from investment, $140,000 loss of interest everyday. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics.

For the Financial problems, Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 800 million due to Alpensia resort construction and the 2018 bid. An Additional government spending must stop for the 2018 Olympics.

For the Future in Asia, Japan have 600 more resort. Hakuba and Zao is most famous resorts in Asia. Harbin Yabuli resort in China, the lagest ski resort in Asia. China along with Japan would be two markets in Asia after 10 years. China will lead the next generation of Asia's winter. China has an additional potential and capacity. Not Korea. Korea can't afford to additional development while the small markets.

For the Olympic Movement, 1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody's use. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium. You should not overlook it.

For the Dream Program, In Korea, Snow is absent in some cities (Busan, Ulsan, etc). And, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a show for Olympics bid. Not pure. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

Muju and Pyeongchang all the not good.

Moreover, Muju resort in the national park. can't be Bid due to FIS. Muju resort went bankrupt after the 1997 Winter Universiade. Was replaced three times since the Universiade host. Now, Pyeongchang Alpensia have debt 800 million dollar. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics. An Additional government spending must stop for the 2018 Olympics.

Korea is not ready for the Winter Olympics host. Korea is not New horizons.

If Korea really wanted to develop winter sport, 1.5 billion dollars should have been used for young players and practice rink rather than luxury houses and golf course for Alpensia resort. The park was built in 1997 is abandoned. Now you can't use anymore. Winter Olympics held in this country that is an insult to the winter sports.

For the Popular Winter Sports. When Pyeongchang was held in 2009 Biathlon and Snowboard WC, There was no admission fee for Korean. Nevertheless, the spectators almost did not come. Everyone agrees. According to unnamed sources, Some IOC members are concerned about it, Pyeongchang is not for atheltes.

For the Downhill, Downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal. This is not the Olympic spirit.

For the Possibility of Pyeongchang, Korea have just 18 resorts, almost smaller size. Yongpyeong is the largest resort in Korea. But, less 20 times than Whistler. Moreover, Ski resorts can't make anymore in Korea. Because, The mountain is not enough. Muju resort in Korea as the second large-scale. Nevertheless, Mountain conditions are not good. FIS wrote, “(We) cannot support the construction of new race courses on the terrain of Muju’s South-Dokyu Mountain for technical and environment reasons”. There are no foreigners that coming to Korea for skiing in the winter. China and Japan or any Asian have no reason to come to Korea in the winter. Because, Japan and China's conditions are better than Korea. Rather, a lot of Koreans going to Japan for skiing and snowboard.

For Alpensia resort, have debt 800 million dollars, have just 6 short slopes. So, Asia's winter hub is impossible. Also, It is not for public, have 100 more luxury houses and golf course for VIP.A few days ago, the audit results by the government auditors; Alpensia resort constructed without considering the feasibility, Excessive construction despite the expected loss from investment, $140,000 loss of interest everyday. I can imagine the situation enough after the Olympics.

For the Financial problems, Gangwon province development corporation has liabilities 1.3 billion dollars including Alpensia 800 million due to Alpensia resort construction and the 2018 bid. An Additional government spending must stop for the 2018 Olympics.

For the Future in Asia, Japan have 600 more resort. Hakuba and Zao is most famous resorts in Asia. Harbin Yabuli resort in China, the lagest ski resort in Asia. China along with Japan would be two markets in Asia after 10 years. China will lead the next generation of Asia's winter. China has an additional potential and capacity. Not Korea. Korea can't afford to additional development while the small markets.

For the Olympic Movement, 1988 Seoul Olympic Stadium is not an Olympics legacy. 10 more million dollars deficit every year. It's demolition will be discussed. Because it's getting old, nobody's use. Last year, The Seoul government was reviewed the construction of shopping centers after demolition of the 1988 Olympics main stadium. You should not overlook it.

For the Dream Program, In Korea, Snow is absent in some cities (Busan, Ulsan, etc). And, there are many deprived youth. Moreover, Korea's winter sport base is very poor. Nevertheless, Korea youth does not participate in Dream Program. Who is the first between Korea youth and foreign youth? This is just a show for Olympics bid. Not pure. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

I respect Korea but about WoG is a shame for Athletes , for spectators and for the show.

Hi Anty-Pyeongchang. You were here 4 years ago too, weren’t you? I knew you sounded familiar, and when you finally brought up Muju again I knew where I’d seen you before.

Same dumb arguments from before, same writing style. Maybe that’s why I have no patience with you this time around. Because I treated you with so much respect 4 years ago, for nothing.

"nature" 4 years ago

Hi Anty-Pyeongchang. You were here 4 years ago too, weren’t you? I knew you sounded familiar, and when you finally brought up Muju again I knew where I’d seen you before.

Same dumb arguments from before, same writing style. Maybe that’s why I have no patience with you this time around. Because I treated you with so much respect 4 years ago, for nothing.

"nature" 4 years ago

Many Koreans are opposed Pyeongchang bid.

Many Koreans are opposed Pyeongchang bid.

You're free to believe whatever you want. Korea is a democracy. But bottom line is 93% of Koreans support the Pyeongchang 2018 bid. You are in the vast vast minority. 93% of Koreans fully support the Pyeongchang Games, along with the development and cost that comes with it. They do not have a problem with it. Deal with it.

You're free to believe whatever you want. Korea is a democracy. But bottom line is 93% of Koreans support the Pyeongchang 2018 bid. You are in the vast vast minority. 93% of Koreans fully support the Pyeongchang Games, along with the development and cost that comes with it. They do not have a problem with it. Deal with it.

Well, Pyeongchang public support has nothing to do with the winter sports. It's just nationalism. Whatever, desire for victory. It is a long custom of Korean. 2009 Biathlon and Snowboad World Championships in Pyeongchang. There was no admission fee for Korean. Nevertheless, the spectators almost did not come. Probably, it was the worst events in the history of skiing. Pyeongchang bid committee say that promise full-stadia in 2018. But, do not trust anyone. It's a pact with Pyeongchang is not good for athletes. IOC should not waste precious opportunities.

Moreover Pyeongchang has lots of problems.

12,000 people participated in the polls 2 months ago. 37.5% said, It is impossible to get the game to Pyeongchang.

But bottom line is 93% of Koreans support the Pyeongchang 2018 bid.

But Nobody in the stadiums when Korea organize a winter invent, it's very strange.

This pole is false, because Korean are very patriotic it's the reason why they say they want WoG but in the fact they doesn't care about winter sport... And we can see that when they organize an invent without Supporters or Fan

But bottom line is 93% of Koreans support the Pyeongchang 2018 bid.

But Nobody in the stadiums when Korea organize a winter invent, it's very strange.

This pole is false, because Korean are very patriotic it's the reason why they say they want WoG but in the fact they doesn't care about winter sport... And we can see that when they organize an invent without Supporters or Fan

They never hosted the Winter Olympics before. You don't know the type of support they are capable of. All you have to base your claim on is biathlon, and biathlon is not popular outside Europe.

Even if you held the biathlon championships in Canada or the US, no one would care. No one even knows what biathlon is in Canada, most think it's a summer sport. But biathlon at the Vancouver Olympics was still a success. Because it's the freaking OLYMPICS.

They never hosted the Winter Olympics before. You don't know the type of support they are capable of. All you have to base your claim on is biathlon, and biathlon is not popular outside Europe.

Even if you held the biathlon championships in Canada or the US, no one would care. No one even knows what biathlon is in Canada, most think it's a summer sport. But biathlon at the Vancouver Olympics was still a success. Because it's the freaking OLYMPICS.

Do not trust anyone. Munich say "We guarantee full-stadia, not promise" I think Germany is better.

This pole is false, because Korean are very patriotic it's the reason why they say they want WoG but in the fact they doesn't care about winter sport

Tulsa, I'm fed up with you labelling any poll whose outcome annoys you as false. :rolleyes:

In the thread about the Annecy radio survey you urge us to look at some real polls, yet when we're in this thread and talking about exactly such indpendent polls relating to Pyeongchang, you dismiss them as "false".

noise-fingers-in-ears-001.jpg

Tulsa, I'm fed up with you labelling any poll whose outcome annoys you as false. :rolleyes:

In the thread about the Annecy radio survey you urge us to look at some real polls, yet when we're in this thread and talking about exactly such indpendent polls relating to Pyeongchang, you dismiss them as "false".

I think Tulsa means, 93% is not for winter sport.

These mobilized people at the 2011 World Athletics pre-Championships in Korea. :D

80333_64908_3258.jpg

How do you explain 93% in favor and nobody in stadium...??? :rolleyes:

RUBBISH!!

Well, Pyeongchang public support has nothing to do with the winter sports. It's just nationalism. Whatever, desire for victory. It is a long custom of Korean. 2009 Biathlon and Snowboad World Championships in Pyeongchang. There was no admission fee for Korean. Nevertheless, the spectators almost did not come. Probably, it was the worst events in the history of skiing. Pyeongchang bid committee say that promise full-stadia in 2018. But, do not trust anyone. It's a pact with Pyeongchang is not good for athletes. IOC should not waste precious opportunities.

Moreover Pyeongchang has lots of problems.

12,000 people participated in the polls 2 months ago. 37.5% said, It is impossible to get the game to Pyeongchang.

NONSENSE!!

Do not trust anyone. Munich say "We guarantee full-stadia, not promise" I think Germany is better.

Even MORE IDIOTIC NONSENSE!!

What??? No one knows what Biathlon in Canada is? Wow. Canada has had world champions in the sport for christ's sake!!

What??? No one knows what Biathlon in Canada is? Wow. Canada has had world champions in the sport for christ's sake!!

We're both from Toronto. Ask someone on the street if they like biathlon and they'll say yes, I love running and swimming.

I enjoyed all the Alpine Ski maps of Salt Lake, Turin, Vancouver, and Sochi.

Of course Sestrière (Turin) has a perfect Alpine ski slope and mountains are perfect to organize Alpine race, it's the same about Salt lake city, Vancouver and Sotchi. But PC don't have this kind of mountains whom are too small and not very steep

Archived