Alpine slope

PC don't have Alpin ski down hill actually and I don't think the snow is better than Wisthler... Wisthler in world is a reference, PC never will be a reference to Alpin ski... You can't compare PC mountain with other like North America or Alpes.

I repeat, PC doesn't a new horizon, PC don't have a great potential and Corea doesn't a market interesting because don't have enough potential some other Region in the world. Corea isn't sexy to host WOG

Except Tulsa, you are NOT a world-recognized expert...so who would listen to you?? The more you put PC down, the more people (and IOC members) will look favorably on their bid.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The alpine runs for Whistler were NOT the ones highlighted in red in the above trail maps. The men's downhil started a couple of hundred metres lower down--and the timing flats were actually about 100m ABOVE Whistler Creekside.

Pyeonchang will have better snow than Whistler and the mountain is fine--FIS has said so twice already.

How do you compare Pyeongchang and Whistler?? is a fake.

I'm Korean, I do not agree. never.

Of course, I don't support Pyeongchang.

However, it's not about that.

Yongpyeong is largest ski resort in Korean.

Whistler 20 times greater than that of Yongpyeong.

Snow does not mean anything to the story.

• 4 weeks later...

PC don't have Alpin ski down hill actually and I don't think the snow is better than Wisthler... Wisthler in world is a reference, PC never will be a reference to Alpin ski... You can't compare PC mountain with other like North America or Alpes.

I repeat, PC doesn't a new horizon, PC don't have a great potential and Corea doesn't a market interesting because don't have enough potential some other Region in the world. Corea isn't sexy to host WOG

Have you ever skied/boarded on Whistler/Blackcomb? I have--dozens of times. Because we are so close to the Pacific Ocean, the snow rarely powder-like except on the glaciers. Franz' and Dave Murray runs aren't high enough. When folks on the BC coast talk about "fresh powder" they simply mean "fresh snow". And the snow is great once you're used to it. But the Europeans prefer powder. Something all 3 candidates have, actually.

Pyeonchang won't that this problem: theirs is dryer alpine climate. There also is less likely to be fog, which was a challenge at both Whistler and Cypress Mountain.

Quebec doesn't find correct down hill for the moment... :unsure: and without correct down hill they can't bid. But in 2002 and 2010 they tried to host WoG and they lost.... like PC

In the 2002 bid process it was going to be close with Québec City and Salt Lake City. Until 1995's referendum on Québec "sovereignty" (separatism), which had a build up of over a year. When someone asked the Québec team "do you expect to get the $ from the federal Government of Canada--even if the province pursues independence?"

Québec'answer: "yes we do." Govt' of Canada's answer: not in a million year would we fund an Olympics in an independent Québec. That killed the bill...though Salt Lake probably would've won regardless: bigger mountins, better roads, and a semi-cosmopolitan urban city centre.

Oh, and the airport in Québec is tiny: about 10 gates in total,

I'd love for Québec to host the Games--it's beautfiul all year round, but especially in winter!

Have you ever skied/boarded on Whistler/Blackcomb? I have--dozens of times. Because we are so close to the Pacific Ocean, the snow rarely powder-like except on the glaciers. Franz' and Dave Murray runs aren't high enough. When folks on the BC coast talk about "fresh powder" they simply mean "fresh snow". And the snow is great once you're used to it. But the Europeans prefer powder. Something all 3 candidates have, actually.

Pyeonchang won't that this problem: theirs is dryer alpine climate. There also is less likely to be fog, which was a challenge at both Whistler and Cypress Mountain.

PC don't have lot of snow if you compare with Wisthler or Alps. It's a reality ! Have you already seen a video of freeride come from Korea? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I think we Vancouverites proved with Cypress Mountain that you don't need any snow to host snow sports.

;)

Of course this winter--the year AFTER the Games--we've so much snow the local mountains are staying open until JULY! LOL

PC don't have lot of snow if you compare with Wisthler or Alps. It's a reality ! Have you already seen a video of freeride come from Korea? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I feel only Korea friend need to learn much to quality and legacy to Jungbong Alpine Venue. Please see please excellence video show excitement and high require quality.

FIS and IOC inspectors very approve and happy current plan and dare tomorrow athletes future possible for wide Asia peoples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1zm2tAgEg&feature=related

It isn't very spectacular, and in this video there are some parts with Alps... But Jungbong don't have the vertical drop like in Alps...

I prefer to Alpin ski in front of Mont Blanc, the show will be better B)

It isn't very spectacular, and in this video there are some parts with Alps... But Jungbong don't have the vertical drop like in Alps...

I prefer to Alpin ski in front of Mont Blanc, the show will be better B)

Honestly... where does all this arrogance come from?

Honestly... where does all this arrogance come from?

What's your problem?, It isn't my fault if you don't have spectacular venues...

You don't have mountains, you don't have lot snow... And your vertical drop on your hills aren't very important...

Maybe you shouldn't try to bid against European Bid. Maybe Korea could be a host to Asian Winter Games, but actually Korea don't have the same level than European or North america countries...

And maybe you need to get over yourself. The "European" OWG in Torino had all sorts of problems. Cortina D'Ampezzo's bobsleigh track MELTED during the Games.

Great Games are delivered by: having facilities that can host the events and an OC that has its shite together. Pyeonchang will be great in both regards.

Maybe you shouldn't try to bid against European Bid. Maybe Korea could be a host to Asian Winter Games, but actually Korea don't have the same level than European or North america countries...

And maybe you need to get over yourself. The "European" OWG in Torino had all sorts of problems. Cortina D'Ampezzo's bobsleigh track MELTED during the Games.

Great Games are delivered by: having facilities that can host the events and an OC that has its shite together. Pyeonchang will be great in both regards.

Cortina D'ampezzo was in 1956... :rolleyes: Bobsleigh has changed since 1956... The infrastructures of bobsleigh aren't the same now.

What's problem in Turin? :rolleyes:

In 2009 in PC there were some problems about snow, and Biathlon worldcup has been a catastrophe and it was the same this winter with the border-cross... Too much for a bid would like host WoG

you arrogant frenchman , i want the olympic doenhill 2018 stage at jungbong

What's your problem?, It isn't my fault if you don't have spectacular venues...

You don't have mountains, you don't have lot snow... And your vertical drop on your hills aren't very important...

Is this the Jungbong downhill? So where is the "primitive forest"? I'm not sure I understand the issue if there is any.

Will the course wind off these trails into some undeveloped bit to increase the course challenge? Does anyone know who is designing the course?

Img214106145.jpg

...and this is the Yongpyong resort and these will be used for the other Alpine events right?

Img214106143.jpg

All the complaining about these slopes by 2 people seem very excessive and at times deceptive. The downhill looks like it can be a VERY formidable and challenging course. It's certainly a different vista than the typical above tree live backdrops you see in the alps but the courses themselves great.

Korea don't have downhill course. Downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal.

In Korea. Ski resorts can't make anymore. Because, The mountain is not enough. Jungbond is olny possible for Downhill. So, Koreas mountain conditions are not good.

Some informations for Jungbong. (Only Korean)

http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0001517714&CMPT_CD=P0001

http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/opinion/editorial/461718.html

http://blog.paran.com/blog/detail/postBoard.kth?pmcId=guamcafe&blogDataId=43919886&hrefMark=

Img214106145.jpg

It is artificial picture after downhill development.

Korea don't have downhill course. Downhill venue is the primeval forest. There are many rare plants and trees are living. Under current law, development is illegal.

In Korea. Ski resorts can't make anymore. Because, The mountain is not enough. Jungbond is olny possible for Downhill. So, Koreas mountain conditions are not good.

Some informations for Jungbong. (Only Korean)

LIES!!

Img214106145.jpg

Well I did read all 3 article, which seem to be possibly the same picked up by the 3 blogs/publications.

This seems to be typical outcry by a small few who think it's best to limit all development that touches nature. I think we see this in every bid and really almost all development projects to one degree or another. I wouldn't write off the concerns but the Korean bid team and government seem to have incorporated responsible and reasonable measures to address the concerns by transplanting many of the trees and growth that may be affected. Someone will always be unhappy about the nature vs development debate, but it's not like Korea is not responsible about development, and they are certainly not overdeveloped which you sometimes use as another reason why you don't want PC to win.

THE DOWNHILL

This downhill looks AWESOME...this is a great course and a very exciting project! IMHO

...would still like to know who is the course designer if anyone knows???

LIES!!

Please shut up Baron with your coments without arguements !!! :angry:

Nature arguements are true, and if you search on Google you could find lot of articles about the primval forest and other difficult to build Alpin slope in Korea.

It's a fact Korea don't have lot of mountains, and theirs mountains aren't very high. The Alpin slope will be not very attractive for the show...

I don't understand some members on GB, they don't want accept some facts about PC and they prefer stay blind when we write the true about Korea. :(

Img214106145.jpg

Well I did read all 3 article, which seem to be possibly the same picked up by the 3 blogs/publications.

This seems to be typical outcry by a small few who think it's best to limit all development that touches nature. I think we see this in every bid and really almost all development projects to one degree or another. I wouldn't write off the concerns but the Korean bid team and government seem to have incorporated responsible and reasonable measures to address the concerns by transplanting many of the trees and growth that may be affected. Someone will always be unhappy about the nature vs development debate, but it's not like Korea is not responsible about development, and they are certainly not overdeveloped which you sometimes use as another reason why you don't want PC to win.

THE DOWNHILL

This downhill looks AWESOME...this is a great course and a very exciting project! IMHO

That picture with photoshop. Maybe from the bid committee.

I know your PC supporter. But, It's not the Olympic spirit. The plants and trees will die the moment the move. They are growing their own for more than 100 years. Moreover, Korea's market is not likely to grow.

Img214106145.jpg

THE DOWNHILL

...would still like to know who is the course designer if anyone knows???

Are you serious? :rolleyes: have you ever seen a real Alpin DOWNHILL? I don't think .

This Downhill doesn't exist actually, it's a photshop view... Moreover the slop isn't very steep... You can't have a great race on this kind of Slope... Compare with the slope in the world cup !!!

Please shut up Baron with your coments without arguements !!! :angry:

Nature arguements are true, and if you search on Google you could find lot of articles about the primval forest and other difficult to build Alpin slope in Korea.

It's a fact Korea don't have lot of mountains, and theirs mountains aren't very high. The Alpin slope will be not very attractive for the show...

I don't understand some members on GB, they don't want accept some facts about PC and they prefer stay blind when we write the true about Korea. :(

LIES!!

Are you serious? :rolleyes: have you ever seen a real Alpin DOWNHILL? I don't think .

This Downhill doesn't exist actually, it's a photshop view... Moreover the slop isn't very steep... You can't have a great race on this kind of Slope... Compare with the slope in the world cup !!!

TRUE LIES!!

I can't understand. Why does IOC environmental inspections ? What for ? Korea's conditions are not suitable. Korea can't host the Winter Olympics according to the FIS.

The International Ski Federation (FIS) has issued an official report stating that North Cholla Province’s Muju region doesn’t meet Olympic standards to become South Korea’s candidate for the 2014 Winter Olympic bid, leaving the Gangwon Province city of Pyeongchang the sole candidate.

According to an official letter to the Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) Tuesday, the FIS wrote, “(We) cannot support the construction of new race courses on the terrain of Muju’s South-Dokyu Mountain for technical and environment reasons”.

IFS conducted field assessments on the downhill and super-G ski courses in the area in September and November. The letter said, “the (South Dokyu) mountain has a vertical drop of approximately 750 to 800 metres. Only certain parts of the terrain have the potential to be developed into a competition course”.

The KOC is to hold a standing meeting on December 21 and a general meeting on December 29 to decide the selection of a candidate by the end of the year.

Lee Yoon-jae, Secretary General of the Korea Sports Council, said the FIS is very determined about its decision, and the decision is not likely to be reversed or suspended.

But there are protests from Jeonbuk provincial authorities. They say, “the inspection conducted by the FIS was about facility standards. But the report only offers tests on environmental effects without any information on facility standards. It is suspicious that there might have been an invisible force behind the inspection. It is unfair that the report cited that only Jeonbuk province was unsuitable for the Games, even though environment damage is inevitable for Gangwon province too if they want to develop their planned descent course in Jungbong on Mt. Gariwang”

Archived