4 replies to this topic

#1 KRATK

KRATK

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2795 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

This Thursday, FIFA announced the host of the FIFA U-17 World Cup. Chile defeated bids from Russia, Tunisia and Wales.

I think this U-17 WC will be really interesting to prove the potential capacity of Chile to host big games. It will be a year after the 2014 South American Games in Santiago and Chile will probably host 2019 Copa América. The government has already announced their intentions to bid for the 2019 Pan-American Games, a Winter Olympic bid seems to be a possibility in the following years and there are active talks about a potential bid for the FIFA World Cup in 2026 or 2030. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the most developed countries in South America (if it isn't the most) could follow Brazil in the next round of South American hosting (in a lot of years from now, obviously).

Anyway, the government is already starting to develop the second phase of new stadiums after the projects of former President Michelle Bachelet (I hope she will return in 2014 and open the WC :) ).

At this moment, this is the only secure venue:

Posted Image

Santiago - Estadio Nacional (45,000 seats)
The National Stadium, host of the 1962 FIFA World Cup, will host the finals. The stadium was renovated in 2010, the new government wants to put a roof and turn the surroundings into a big park for the 2014 ODESUR Games. Also a subway station will be inaugurated in 2014. The gov. also wants a new stadium with more than 80,000 seats but I don't think it will be ready for 2014, maybe for Copa América 2019.

#2 reindeer

reindeer

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Apples and oranges

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

It looks completely different from the crumbling site which I visited four years ago in a local derby match. I found interesting that you mentioned the new metro station as I recall that there is one already quite close to the stadium and it's not the final stop, so this must be another line, right?

Another thing is that I thought Chile already had been given the Copa América 2015 as there is an original order by which Brasil should be the next host and then Chile after that but between World Cup and Olympics they certainly don't want another major event.

"I don't think there's anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona."  - Kevin Keegan

#3 gotosy

gotosy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Another thing is that I thought Chile already had been given the Copa América 2015 as there is an original order by which Brasil should be the next host and then Chile after that but between World Cup and Olympics they certainly don't want another major event.

The 2015 Copa America will be organised by Brazil

Brazil confirmed as 2015 Copa America hosts

In accordance with the rotation policy dictated by South American governing body, CONMEBOL, Brazil were due to host the next edition of the Copa in four years, but many commentators were concerned about the strain on the country's infrastructure in holding three major tournaments in as many years.

Chile are next slated to host the competition in 2019, but in 2009, president Michelle Bachelet had made enquiries to Brazilian officials about the possibility of hosting the Copa four years early in a straight swap.

But ABC reports that CBF officials finally ruled out that plan on Tuesday night, affirming the Brazilian desire to host all three tournaments in successive years starting from 2014.

"The 2015 Copa America will be organised by Brazil, there is no doubt about that. It has been determined in this way. Chile will host in 2019," CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz underlined on Tuesday evening.

http://www.goal.com/...a-america-hosts

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eru­di­ti­o­nis habes.

#4 KRATK

KRATK

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2795 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

It looks completely different from the crumbling site which I visited four years ago in a local derby match. I found interesting that you mentioned the new metro station as I recall that there is one already quite close to the stadium and it's not the final stop, so this must be another line, right?

Ńuble station is quite closer to the National Stadium but Metro will build the "Estadio Nacional station" with the new Line 6. The best thing is that the final stop of Line 6 will be closer to the possible place of the future "Estadio de Chile".

This is how the stadium should look with the roof and the new "Citizen's Park"

Posted Image

#5 Ikarus360

Ikarus360

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

When they will begin installing the roof for the 2014 ODESUR Games? I think Medellin set the bar very high for that event the last year.

Also, congratulations for getting the U-17 WC. Hope you can get more football tournaments in the future. :)

c0Aw9NH.png

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. // Sir Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users