What Will Secure The Future Of The Commonwealth Games

31 members have voted

1. 1. What are your 3 options to secure future CGs after 2014

• Reduce the size of the games (less athletes, smaller venues)
    • Institute a technical evaluation team as per the IOC
    • Change the schedule to run the CGs out of Olympic or WC years
    • Set a maximum budget for venue construction/reuse existing structures
    • Change the focus to a youth CG format
    • Invite non-Commonwealth nations to participate
    • Remove the current board and executives and begin anew
    • Change the sports line up to focus on Commonwealth sports (e.g cricket, netball)
    • Form a Commonwealth Games Broadcasting body a la the Olympic Broadcasting Organisation
    • Other

In terms of the future of the Commonwealth Games, there are three elements that will secure the future:

• Strengthening the commercial aspect of the Games, improving marketing and exercising stricter control over Host Cities
  • After the disaster that was Delhi 2010, I think it's inevitable that the requirements for Host Cities need to be tightened - realistically, that means that the Commonwealth Games should (for the foreseeable future) no longer be held in developing nations. In other words, we're looking at the traditional Anglophone nations: the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada; possibly, one might want to add Singapore and Malaysia to the list. So, if nations like India ever want to host the CWG again, they'd have to demonstrate that they are up for playing on a much steeper (and realistic field).
  • Finally, a much tougher evaluation process needs to be brought in; overall, the CWG could benefit from professionalising its operations and no longer seeing itself as an extension of the Commonwealth of Nations, but rather the umbrella organization of an international multi-sports event instead. Also, the whole idea of pick-and-mix sporting programmes looks laughable. The Olympics only have mandatory sports. Why should host nations be able to gerrymander events according to their liking?
  • The Commonwealth Games need to become a real warm-up for the bigger challenge of the Olympics, both from the vantage point of the Host City AND the athletes and federations involved.

It will take much more than warm words to revive the Commonwealth Games movement. Glasgow was a welcome respite, but it's no long-term fix for a declining idea suffering from an excess of political correctness and failing to just accept the fact that some nations need more time before they can seriously be considered as hosts.

Chillingly accurate comments there PBSP.

After the OTT excitment in London, it did feel a little underated in Glasgow, yet so unfair as expectations were still high.

Yes we need to remember this is an old AngloPhone event from a time when ties were tighter. They are still enjoyable to watch but really have lost relevance since 1982 during when the Olympics were plagued with boycotts and horrendous cost overruns bankrupting cities.

Still...We do need to trim back to the core sports that favour the Olympics. Durban dropping the track cycling just doesn't seem right when road cycling stays. Lawn Bowls and Netball just look weird to anyone else. Yet Basketball is an optional although it has a far more global reach. Sevens has to stay as it is now touted as a top Olympic event.

Another problem was, and still is, attracting the quality top tier athletes to the Games when there are more lucrative events running on the global calender simultainiously. Usain Bolt showed up more as a face to recognize while Val Adams had almost no real competion in the womans Shot, and outthrew everyone else with almost no effort. She was on a plane back to the Daimond League series almost after the medal ceremony.

Venue aslo has to play the part...OK Glasgow was considered the reboot...but attraction counts and the beachside mecca of Gold Coast will simply overshadow 2014 in all aspects. Durban will give another instalment of exotic difference and who knows what 2026 will bring as Singapore, probably the wealthiest city in the Commonwealth, would do it's bit for Asia's turn.

It's a future that needs to be looked at.

The Commonwealth Games ought to be manageable broadly speaking in their current form and I certainly don't believe they need to be moved to a different year in the cycle, at least not before 2022. The problems start, in my view, when you get host cities that overspend on venues they simply do not need and get themselves into trouble. That's why I believe a technical commission is vital, so long as it enforces feasible requirements that are realistically achievable and if there is any doubt at all about a city's ability to deliver on its proposals, then they simply don't get the gig.

This is not a question of one size fits all here. It is, instead, a question of ensuring that the plan fits the city and the country. I maintain that the Commonwealth Games should primarily be a means for a city like Manchester or Glasgow in the British context to make its mark by hosting a major multi-sport event. That doesn't mean that a Melbourne or a London can't bid with all the facilities that those great cities can offer. But there has to be a means through which bidding cities can be critically questioned and assessed over their plans.

My second issue is the sporting programme. I don't like the idea of "core" sports and options suiting the hosts. Either it's there all the time or it's not there at all. A programme of 16 or so sports, with a similar number of athletes to what we have now, seems a fit to me. Twenty20 cricket should have been included in the programme long before now and there's no reason why it can't be, along similar lines to Olympic football.

Finally, broadcasting. There's no reason why some form of broadcasting package, perhaps not quite as formal as the OBS but along those lines, shouldn't be set up. There's plenty of expertise out there and the OBS wouldn't exist without it.

The Commonwealth Games still has a place in the calendar. But that place will come under ever greater questioning unless those in charge realise that change is needed.

I think that reforming the Commonwealth Games has to start with both structure and aesthetics. For instance, why not change that dreadfully basic Commonwealth Games Federation Flag and actually have a real anthem like the Olympic Movement?

Instead of the Queen's Baton Relay, which is essentially just one long giant prelude to a speech given by a member of the Royal Family, the Commonwealth Games could have a Commonwealth Flame, complete with a cauldron in the main stadium. Ah yes, the speeches: It'd be nice to cut down on those as well. Just look at the Delhi 2010 CWG opening ceremony and you'll know what I mean.

Absolutely, all sports should be mandatory throughout and be a close approximation of those on the Olympic level - no gerrymandering by Commonwealth hosts permitted whatsoever. I disagree that the Commonwealth Games should only be a show for the second-tier cities. In fact, I'd be quite excited to see cities like London, Sydney, Melbourne, Cape Town, Singapore, Toronto, Vancouver and Auckland bid for the Commonwealth Games. There should be tight supervision by the Evaluation Commission à la IOC, with the power to withdraw the Games in case of debilitating delays. One of Delhi 2010's issues was that the city should have started to get its move on in 2003, but waited until 2008 to get moving. That's not good enough, and had there been an Eval Commission with frequent visits and considerable influence (and maybe even supervisory authority vis-à-vis the local organizing committee) would have exposed the shambolic non-planning by Messrs Kalmadi and Bhanot.

In fact, the CGF should introduce an Applicant and Candidate City Phase and score on the same roster of criteria (accommodation, venues, climate etc) as its bigger brother, the IOC. Venue, accommodation and infrastructure requirements should be tightened for Applicant Cities - and financial controllers and auditors assigned to winning bid committees to avoid convenient "creative accounting". Commercialization is a must for the CWG, and will be the only way you'll get big ticket stars to come to the Commonwealth Games. After all, every competition is an injury risk - and it better be made worth it. Next, the CWG need to move away from political correctness - if a smaller island nation like Niue or Tuvalu doesn't make the cut, it doesn't....no need to, ahem, water down the standards here.

I'm not against developing countries hosting the CWG ever again. In fact, I'm known around these parts as the nigh-only advocate of Delhi's capacity to host an Olympics sometime in the 2030s and onwards. That said, I think that in terms of bidding, you get what you ask for. If the requirements are tighter and aimed at a city's overall development and capacity to deliver a great, seamless Games, then you're actually doing developing nations like India a massive favour: if they really want to put on a show for the world, they'll know what they need to do - AND accept supervision. If not, there's a bevy of developed Commonwealth members ready to take charge. But yeah, for the foreseeable future, I think developing countries have no business hosting the Games.

In other words, the CGF needs two things: a Moscow 1980 moment when they realize that this is the end of the road - and a Samaranch-style figure to really make a pact with the monetary devil and commercialize the Games.

After all, if Hambantota was a serious contender for your Games, you must be doing something wrong...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Politician calls for all-Ireland team at Commonwealth Games

Irish politician Frank Feighan has called for athletes from Republic of Ireland to participate at the Commonwealth Games as a way to help improve relations with a post-Brexit Great Britain.

Feighan, a Senator for the Fine Gael party, proposed the idea to Irish sports chiefs as part of his plan for Ireland to join the Commonwealth for economic and trading reasons.

Only Northern Ireland is currently a member of the organisation.

Feighan pointed-out that many sports, including rugby and hockey, are already organised on an all-Ireland basis.

Athletes could therefore participate in these team sports at the Games in a bid towards an all-Irish football team.

"We have to look at ways of improving our relationship, particularly after Brexit," he was reported as saying by the Irish Independent.

"We have to extend the hand of friendship to our near neighbours.

"I would like to pose the question that if Ireland did rejoin the Commonwealth, could we not then see the real possibility of an All-Ireland team competing in the Commonwealth Games?

"Would we not all welcome the concept of Ireland as one hosting the Commonwealth Games, an event which would be of huge benefit to our country? 

"Such possibilities could eventually pave the way for the formation of an All-Ireland soccer team."

The Commonwealth is a group of 52 countries of which most were former colonies or dependencies of the British Empire.

Ireland is a former member which left in 1949 when it became an independent republic.

It appears there is no chance of them being eligible for the Commonwealth Games, next taking place in Gold Coast in April 2018, unless they rejoin the organisation.

"In line with Article 25 of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) constitution, eligibility to compete in the Commonwealth Games is at this moment defined by an athlete’s citizenship of a Commonwealth country," a CGF spokesperson told insidethegames.

"We work closely with our member Commonwealth Games Associations on any proposed amendments or revisions to the constitution."

The proposal is an interesting one because Belfast is due to host the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2021.

A single Irish team did compete at the 1930 British Empire Games, the inaugural edition of what became the Commonwealth Games, in Hamilton, Ontario, in Canada.

Hammer thrower Bill Britton won a silver medal.

An Irish Free State team also competed separately from Northern Ireland at the 1934 event in London.

All those born in Northern Ireland have been entitled to Irish citizenship since the 1998 Good Friday agreement.

This has led to several recent cases of athletes from Northern Ireland having to decide over whether to represent Britain or Republic of Ireland.

Golfer Rory McIlroy announced plans to compete for the Republic of Ireland at last year's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro before withdrawing from the event.

He subsequently claimed to "resent" the Games for making him choose between the two.

Derry-born sprinter Jason Smyth has won five gold medals for Ireland at the Paralympics but represented Northern Ireland at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. 

Belfast's two-time Irish Olympic bronze medal winning boxer Paddy Barnes has also won two Commonwealth Games gold medals for Northern Ireland.

Irish Sports Council chief executive John Tracey, to whom Feighan spoke, said that the Commonwealth Games is a good way to develop athletes but that Irish participation is a "political decision".

"It's definitely beyond my pay-grade," he told the Irish Independent.

Insidethegames

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Would there be any appetite to compete as a unified team from Northern Ireland?

Well, they already do in a number of sports, like football. But then again, in a CWGs, there's likely to be many who value competing as Northern Ireland (probably the Proddies mostly). I'd guess they'd leave that, perhaps, to individual athletes like they now do for the Olympics.

Anyway, I'm thinking hosting. Dublin 2022?

I'm no expert on Irish politics, but wouldn't there be massive opposition to a "26 county" RoI joining the Commonwealth? And also massive opposition to a "32 county" united Ireland joining the Commonwealth? I can't see either happening. 

PS - I don't suppose they ever have hurling in the commonwealth games?

• 1 month later...

:( I'm hoping against hope...But sadly we may be looking at our first host cancellation since WWII.

If so, where to from here?

Personally I now believe a review of some of the more expensive to host sports need to either pair down or go. Sevens come to mind - Since it is now an Olympic sport, is it needed? The annual tournament circuit keeps interest going and it also has it's own World Cup. Manchester got it bang on with the main stadium hosting before the Athletics program got underway. 

Cycling - Yes this has become and exclusive elitist sport...Even NZ is suddenly finding it costly although we do have excellent facilities.

If we go back down to a near original program of nine sports groups, would that help. 

Do we need to bring in "cheap to operate" sports like Darts? - Great TV and venue viewing.

1 hour ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The Games will be smaller after the Gold Coast- this is a good thing.

NZ for example should be able to afford to host, it is crazy that it can't.

Oh we can...It's just that the only two cities that could host are in the middle of massive infrastructure building programs...

The CGF is looking at a so called "Nationwide" type event that would allow a hub city or cities to be a focal point. a classic scenario would be Auckland opening and Wellington closing while sports are scattered around regions.

Auckland does want to host but not until the late 20s and Christchurch wants to host 2030 as a crowning achievement. 

The Commies aren't particularly bloated - only 17 sports allowed, only four of them mandatory, the rest up to the discretion and convenience of the host (hence why no cycling planned for Durban - something they were already getting stick for in some quarters). The problem isn't size for Durban - which always had as its main selling point that it already had a pretty good equipped sports hub park and many of the big ticket facilities. More South African domestic politicking, and a pretty laid-back (or rather non-existent) approach to actually taking them on and organising them. It's sad - I was really glad they were awarded them and still wish for some ever-shrinking hope they may get a reprieve, though that's looking unlikely. 

I haven't seen any statements from the CGF on "nationwide" games - I'd like to see those sources.

As for Rugby 7s, how could anyone suggest they get dumped from the Commies? They are the Commonwealth sport par-excellence (and one of the compulsories). It's still a Commonwealth dominated sport (at Rio, only one semi-finalist in both the men's and women's - the Japanese men - were from a non-Commonwealth country) and as such the CWG's 7s tournament is one of its real world-class attractions and ticket sellers.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 0:41 AM, yoshi said:

Nationwide hub-type games would be ideal for Wales. 

Matching this modern concept is the CGF adopting what Fifa, World Rugby (and now the IOC might...)  have done - Double Booking.

This can secure 2026 and 2030 thus allowing more time to prepare.

Also stop with this ground up building of facilities so they end up rusting away. Nothing wrong with modern temporary stands and facilities. Glasgow gave a good demonstration of this including sending the Diving events to Edinburgh.  

On 3/1/2017 at 2:59 PM, Sir Rols said:

The Commies aren't particularly bloated - only 17 sports allowed, only four of them mandatory, the rest up to the discretion and convenience of the host (hence why no cycling planned for Durban - something they were already getting stick for in some quarters). The problem isn't size for Durban - which always had as its main selling point that it already had a pretty good equipped sports hub park and many of the big ticket facilities. More South African domestic politicking, and a pretty laid-back (or rather non-existent) approach to actually taking them on and organising them. It's sad - I was really glad they were awarded them and still wish for some ever-shrinking hope they may get a reprieve, though that's looking unlikely. 

I haven't seen any statements from the CGF on "nationwide" games - I'd like to see those sources.

As for Rugby 7s, how could anyone suggest they get dumped from the Commies? They are the Commonwealth sport par-excellence (and one of the compulsories). It's still a Commonwealth dominated sport (at Rio, only one semi-finalist in both the men's and women's - the Japanese men - were from a non-Commonwealth country) and as such the CWG's 7s tournament is one of its real world-class attractions and ticket sellers.

Actually Rols, from 2022 (or 2026) depending on how certain people perceive it, 16 sports will be required, with the host allowed to pick 1 extra one (+ additional disciplines of those sports).

" Currently, the Games includes 10 core sports - athletics, badminton, men's boxing, hockey, lawn bowls, netball, men's rugby sevens, squash, swimming and weightlifting - with each host selecting up to seven others of their choice.

Under the proposal road cycling, artistic gymnastic, judo, table tennis, triathlon and wrestling would be added, with women's boxing and rugby sevens joining the programme, as the Federation aims to increase diversity.

The Paralympic disciplines of athletics, lawn bowls, swimming and weightlifting remain compulsory, with triathlon new to the list of optional para sports, alongside track cycling, table tennis and wheelchair basketball, which are already optional"

Via insidethegames

AFAIK the proposal passed.

Weightlifting for the 2018 Games has a quota set and due to the scheduling can share a venue with wrestling. These new ideas will help to keep down venue costs.

Yeah, just checked on the CGF site, and it was passed:

Now each candidate city looking to host a Commonwealth Games must include a minimum of 10 core sports on their Programme: Aquatics (Swimming), Athletics, Badminton, Boxing (Men) with an option to add Women's events, Hockey (Men & Women), Lawn Bowls, Netball (Women), Rugby Sevens (Men) with an option to add Women's Sevens, Squash and Weightlifting.

They can then include up to an additional 7 from a list of optional sports/disciplines: Archery, Basketball (Men & Women), Beach Volleyball (Men & Women), Canoeing, Cycling (Road and/or Mountain Bike and/or Track), Diving (as part of Aquatics), Gymnastics (Artistic and/or Rhythmic), Judo, Open Water Swimming (as part of Aquatics), Rowing, Sailing, Shooting (Clay Target and/or Fullbore and/or Pistol & Small Bore), Softball (Men & Women), Synchronised Swimming (as part of Aquatics), Table Tennis, Tennis, Tenpin Bowling, Taekwondo, Triathlon and Wrestling.

CGF

So still 17 sports, but now 10 core.

I think we have almost reached the point where it is enviable that all multi-sport events including the CommGames & Olympics will be "host countries" rather than "host cities"

2022 CG games will probably be the beginning of that trend with Durban stripped and the events farmed around to cities in the UK

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I think we have almost reached the point where it is enviable that all multi-sport events including the CommGames & Olympics will be "host countries" rather than "host cities"

2022 CG games will probably be the beginning of that trend with Durban stripped and the events farmed around to cities in the UK

Durban seems to have made it through this time... More the fact that they are now co operating with the South African Government better.

BUT the future does look like a more spread out events footprint for smaller countries to take up a hosting economically. Even Canada had proposed a "York Regional" CWGs. With Gold Coast more towards this idea, we'll find out this time next year.

7 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Durban seems to have made it through this time... More the fact that they are now co operating with the South African Government better.

BUT the future does look like a more spread out events footprint for smaller countries to take up a hosting economically. Even Canada had proposed a "York Regional" CWGs. With Gold Coast more towards this idea, we'll find out this time next year.

York Region is literally a part of the Greater Toronto Area, nothing substantially bigger. The Pan Am Games were regional (with 17 municipalities). This had its benefits but also presented its challenges (such as transportation).

On 3/7/2017 at 3:51 AM, intoronto said:

York Region is literally a part of the Greater Toronto Area, nothing substantially bigger. The Pan Am Games were regional (with 17 municipalities). This had its benefits but also presented its challenges (such as transportation).

The concept isn't new...Wellington's 2006 CWGs proposal was encompassing the small cities of Whanganui and Palmerston North for facilities sharing...And a proposed Auckland/Hamilton/Tauranga was discussed around the time Auckland was planning a bid for 2018. (IMO New Zealand's last chance this side of 2030). Canada could be the nation that gives a "Provincial" wide event a go? 

• 2 weeks later...

I really do not think it is a host city vs. host country debate. There will always be venues within 50-100km which should be used, rather than justifying spending on new venues within a city-region.

In my view this is not a question of scale or spending, but of the quality of host city, the profile, relevance, and the platform for the CWG and athletes.

In my view, London 2022, Sydney 2026 etc. is what .

CWG Fed would also need to rethink its marketing, broadcasting, governance and other structures. 

I don't think limiting spending, or the sports/venues answers the actual question

• 2 weeks later...

Former NZ Olympic and Commonwealth Games Chief, Bruce Ullrich, says the Games footprint need to be scaled back to make them more appealing and affordable to future hosts. Costs are simply far to high for a majority of Commonwealth cities with a base cost of US$500million. Funding that can only be provided by national Government as unlike the Olympics with it's massive American and European view audiences, TV and advertising revenue barely covering costs. Mentioned was how to lower the cost of Games villages as these are fast becoming small towns or elaborate expensive apartment/flat high rise complexes. This is were the spread the team sports around concept comes in....

...He suggests that team sports be farmed out to surrounding centres which would carry the cost of hosting that particular team sport and carry appropriate CWGs banners and colours but without the host city name . The main Host city would retain the main "core" sports and focal point CWGs Host City titles.

This is a concept that is gaining support with the Commonwealth Games Federation as they continue to "understand" why Durban failed. For smaller nations this would go a long way to retaining the Games appeal. His concept leans on his wish to see Christchurch as NZ's next host city and saw how the 2011 RWC united the nation with pool matches spread around the country even though Auckland was considered central host.