• Premium Members
  • 3564 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

-

Miami-Havana 2024 Olympic Bid Proposed

By David Hernandez
Miami Herald

Posted Image

After decades of distrust and hostility between the United States and Cuba, relations have begun to thaw with President Barack Obama in office, and Fidel Castro handing over the reigns to his younger brother, Raúl Castro. Today, Mayor Manny Diaz of Miami and Mayor Juan Contino Aslán of Havana announced a partnership to work on a joint bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games between the two cities, and countries.

Among proposals, Miami would host the opening ceremony, and Havana would close out the competition. Sporting events would be split between the two cities as well. They are also going to propose an extended sailing event in the Caribbean between the cities. It is not yet known what support President Obama would give to such a proposal, but Cuban President Raúl Castro has signaled his support.

The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) has been informed by Mayor Diaz in a formal letter, but has yet to comment on the matter. Havana has bid for 2012, 2008 and the 1920 Olympic Games. Miami has never put forth a formal bid to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Read More

Posted Image

-

#2 FYI

FYI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9350 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

Good April Fools joke. :P

#3 baron-pierreIV

baron-pierreIV

Cauldron Lighter 20000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 38670 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

I guess they will order up a hurricane for either Opening or Closing Ceremony. Oh, and send the flame back to Havana with the return trip for the boat people.

Of course, it comes out on April Fools Day! :lol:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies"

www.secretolympiceremony.com

Updated 2014 print edition (with section on Sochi) NOW available.  

Only (previous) 2011 edition available in eBook format which has only 15 images vs. 150+ images in print version.  (This is due to load limitations of an eBook format.)   

10% off via my website or www.createspace.com/3396522 using this discount code: 6Y79VJR7.

Cover_single_A2-1.jpg

#4 Soaring

Soaring

Think big. Aim higher.

• Premium Members
  • 3564 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

...come on, would I ever do such a thing?

#5 Lord David

Lord David

Flag Bearer Level 3

• Premium Members
  • 3513 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

April fools indeed.

If you want a viable Havana bid, don't go looking into co-hosting with Miami (at least the Hiroshima-Nagasaki proposal was in the same country!), just wait for my gamesbids bid book for an idea on how a viable Havana bid could work.

Posted Image

Tokyo is one of the world's popular cities including me!

logos_zps0eff8ea0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users