opening cer.

Doesn't do the same for me like this does:

Have the surviving cast members and new ones in the Olympic colours, why not?

You can sing this and of course Dschinghis Khan! After all, Genghis did rule the area in which Sochi lies at some point during his Mongolian Empire.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Sochi is doing a great job in its preparations so far. The look, brand etc are all stunning in my opinion.

I think the venues are incredible -- it's on a scale never before witnessed in a Winter Games.

Also, it seems the Russian Cultural Olympiad is very inclusive (unlike the UK's). Recently, their was a festival for indigenous arts I believe. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like that Vladimir Putin will open the Games because it seems he is unchallenged to win next year's Russian presidential elections.

During the opening ceremony they're gonna let loose those furry little mascots into the stadium, and Putin's gonna show off his hunting skills. :blink::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

An interesting news item on the main GB page:

He added, "all fundamental decisions have been made on all Olympic facilities, except the main stadium. What it will ultimately look like is still unclear. This will depend on the scenario of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies - how the Olympic flame will be lit, and so on.

"The Organizing Committee wants this to be something very special. Various options are being considered for the tribunes and the roof. While these and other details are being finalized, construction of the stadiums' key elements is proceeding at full speed".

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/other_news/1216135949.html

So, just like Sydney, they want to design the stadium according to the lighting scenario for the Olympic Flame? But they certainly have to hurry up with this, there are only two-and-a-half years to go.

I predict:

• Dima (International) Bilan will sing
  • Alla Pugecheva will sing
  • Her gay ex-husband (who's from Bulgaria) won't
  • Bereznaya & Sikharulidze will feature prominently (nose rub O Canada)

For the torch relay:

• Irina Rodnina will light the cauldron (pairs)
  • Sergey Tchepikov will hand off to Irina (biathlon)
  • Viacheslav Fetisov will bring it into the venue (hockey; triple crown club)
  • Raisa Smetanina should probably light it, but doesn't have the name recognition of many others (cross country)
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see Ovechkin, though he might read the Oath instead
  • Neither of Rodnina's pairs partners will be invited ;)

I think Ekaterina Gordeeva will be a top pick for carrying the torch in the stadium, if not serving as the final carrier.

This will be a stunning ceremony and just as the Moscow 1980 ceremony reinvented the Opening Ceremony, Sochi might change the way we see Winter Ceremonies.

I think Ekaterina Gordeeva will be a top pick for carrying the torch in the stadium, if not serving as the final carrier.

Or maybe Vladimir Putin and his whole family might like to light the cauldron...seeing that he is building himself into the next Russian cult figure.

Gordeeva's a good choice but they may back her up with a whole slew of Russian figure skating gold medalists like as jawnbc mentioned...Irina Rodnina, the legendary Protopopovs (if they can still climb some steps), Artur Dmitriev, etc., etc.

Eeeeeeeeh. If the Sochi section in Vancouver was any indication, their presentation was VERY heavy and serious. They try to go for these oh-so-grand themes...always a Russian novel and "Boris Gudonov."

they must be serious..1 of the most succesfull country in winter games and their first hosting.. huge country culture and history.. even i expecting a better one than beijing

• 6 months later...

Sadly, there will definitely not be any performance of the "Trololo man" Eduard Khil at either the opening or the closing ceremony:

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/news/trololo-dead-stroke-stpetersburg-898/

May he rest in peace -- but not forget to entertain heaven with hours of "Trololo". ;)

Archived