Gold Coast 2018

Cricket could make a shock return to the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

CRICKET could make a shock return to the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018 after an absence of two decades.

There is strong lobbying for Twenty20 cricket to be included as an extra Games sport with Gold Coast Commonwealth Games chairman Mark Stockwell insisting it would add "an extra bit of magic".

The issue reached the table of an International Cricket Council meeting in Dubai this week which vowed to assess the feasibility and report back in June.

Cricket was played for the only time at a Commonwealth Games in Malaysia in 1998 where South Africa beat Australia in the final of a 50-over event which featured 16 teams.

Then Australian captain Steve Waugh embodied Australia's intent when he claimed winning a silver rather than gold medal was one of the great disappointments of his career.

"The chance to mix with some of the elite of the sporting world . . . was in my eyes the opportunity of a lifetime," Waugh wrote in his autobiography Out Of My Comfort Zone.

"The way we lost to an under-strength South African side in the gold-medal game hurt me."

The current boss of the Commonwealth Games Federation is Prince Imran of Malaysia who was the driving force behind cricket being played at the 1998 Games.

Stockwell, a former Olympic swimmer, believes T20 would be a perfect fit for the Gold Coast Games.

"In my travels throughout the Commonwealth countries I have seen there are two really unifying sports - cricket for men, and netball for women," he said.

"At the moment, cricket is not one of the optional sports for the Gold Coast Games.

"But cricket can be accepted as a sport by the Commonwealth Games Federation.

"We also need to get assurances from the ICC they can fit it into their calendar and that we can have the best Twenty20 (cricketers) available."

There are several hurdles to jump for cricket to be a Games sport again - not the least of which is the complexity of clearing space in the cluttered international cricket calendar.

Another roadblock would be India's participation, which would require the agreement of the all-powerful and money-hungry Indian board of control which may be unwilling to release its blue-chip stars.

It is also believed England may not field a team, just as in 1998.

Former Queensland captain Stuart Law is set to take up an assistant coaching role at Brisbane's Centre of Excellence after quitting as Bangladesh coach.

Courier Mail

• 3 weeks later...

First victim of the change of govt in Qld:

Gold Coast 2018 chairman sacked in row over Athletes' Village

May 6 - Mark Stockwell has been sacked as the chairman of the Gold Coast 2018 Organising Committee despite being the driving force behind the city's successful bid for the Commonwealth Games.

The new Liberal National Party (LNP) State Government, who won the election six weeks ago, confirmed the new Board would not include Stockwell, a former swimmer who won three medals at the 1984 Los Angeles, two silver and a bronze.

The 48-year-old Stockwell is now a successful property developer but he has reportedly clashed with the new Government over where to build the Athletes' Village for the Games.

He wanted to locate it Parklands, an area of the city that includes pavilions, showgrounds and function areas.

But there was opposition to the plan from the Gold Coast Harness Racing Club, the Gold Coast Show Society and Big Day Out organisers, who wanted the Village relocated.

New Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey now appears to have backed their concerns.

Announcing that Stockwell will be replaced she said it was time to "transition to a Board that has the confidence of the Government, the [Australia] Commonwealth Games Association, and the public".

Stuckey added: "To ensure that these Games are delivered on time, and importantly on budget, the LNP Newman Government needs to put in place a Board that will quickly get on with the major infrastructure planning and delivery of this billion-dollar event.

"What is needed now for the Gold Coast Games are well-credentialed people who have qualifications in law, finance, development, and the commercial sector along with prominent sporting people who can make a significant contribution in the building and operations of the Games.

"The composition of Commonwealth Games Board is crucial and the Government is working hard to strike the right balance."

more: insidethegames

Well, at least this is early in the piece. Might have been a bit awkward to be shuffling deckchairs closer to the event.

Gold Coast to host swimming's Pan Pacs

Gold Coast will play host to swimming powerhouse the United States after the city was selected to host the 2014 Pan Pacific Championships.

Swimming Australia and the Queensland Government announced on Friday the event would return to Australia for the first time since it was held in Sydney in 1999.

The Pan Pacs, held every four years, bring together the best swimmers from Australia, the US, Canada, Japan, Brazil and New Zealand and will form a key part of the Dolphins' build-up to the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

It will also act as a test event for Gold Coast's hosting of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

SA president David Urquhart said the decision to hold the event in Queensland was a fantastic reward for a strong swimming state.

"We are extremely grateful for the support of the Queensland Government in securing this event and we know Queensland will be a great place for these top nations to compete and visit," Urquhart said.

"Brisbane hosted a successful Pan Pacs at Chandler in 1987, and Sydney used the meet as an Olympic test event in 1999.

"This will be the third time Australia has hosted the event and where better for our athletes to compete than in their home state for many of them."

More than 60 per cent of Australia's swim team for the London Olympics, is based in Queensland.

Nine Sports News

• 3 weeks later...

Parklands home of Comm Games village

THE Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Athletes' Village will be built at Parklands.

The Games Corporation Board has unanimously recommended the controversial Parklands site as the best option.

Games Minister Jann Stuckey this morning told State Parliament the Board had evaluated a number of reports and submissions about the location of the Village and made its decision based on specific criteria such as the security, housing, feeding and transportation required.

She said she was satisfied the Board had made the right decision.

"There is little doubt that the Parklands venue, which is home to the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct, was head and shoulders over other identified sites," Mrs Stuckey said.

"This decision now puts to rest the rumour and speculation about the location of the Village and where 6,500 athletes and officials will be housed.

"It also allows the board to get on with the job of delivering the best Commonwealth Games for Queensland and the world, on time and on budget."

There had been mounting pressure for the village to be moved to Southport's CBD.

The $700 million village will be built at Parklands, next to Griffith University and the adjacent $1.7 billion Gold Coast University Hospital, due to open late this year.

The village, which will cater for 6500 athletes and officials, will be sold off after the Games for affordable accommodation for students and others.

The site was the preferred option in Queensland's official Games bid.

More at Gold Coast Bulletin

Edited by Sir Rols

Did it move from the bid book location?

No, I think that's what's proposed (I'm not a bid book reader at the best of times). More that since the election, the NIMBY's have been coming out in force and tried to get it moved.

• 3 weeks later...

President of the Commonwealth Games Federation Prince Tunku Imran says federation willing to negotiate cut-price Games on Gold Coast in 2018

THE 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast will be a 'Toyota Games' rather than a 'Rolls Royce Games'.

So says the president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, who is visiting the Gold Coast.

Prince Tunku Imran says the federation is willing to negotiate a cut-price Games to help save taxpayers money.

The Games have been forecast to cost almost $2 billion and the 'belt-tightening' Newman Government is eager to reduce the burden.

Prince Imran said the CGF was prepared to discuss budget cuts.

"Everything is negotiable," the Malaysian royal said today.

"We know exactly the pressures on governments, on city councils and on organizing committees.

"We will always be receptive, in most cases, to look at solutions that are less costly.

"We're not looking at a Rolls-Royce type of Games if a Toyota (type) will do."

Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey said she was pleased to hear the prince's comments.

She said the Newman Governnent had signalled it was a 'belt-tightening' administration and would not rule out accommodating the 6500 Games athletes in dongas.

Courier Mail

Further to the previous post, some worrying comments from the Qld games minister:

Ms Stuckey said it was important to be realistic about demand for tickets at events such as weight lifting.

"I believe a lot of costs will be able to be trimmed back by sitting down with the federation and being able to look at events specifically and venues to assess the genuine capacity need," she said.

She also refused to rule out putting the 6500 athletes up in transportable dongas.

Herald Sun

I hadn't heard the term "Donga" before, but looked it up - apparently it's an Aussie term for a transportable prefab building (learn something new every day). But I hope she was kidding - that would be sooooooo embarassing!!!!!

:D:lol: "Donga" has a totally different meaning in NZ!

But anyway the last time 're-locatable' housing was used in the CWGs was 1990. But the village was tastfully done as a neighbourhood.

If done right there should be no real problem with 'Pre-Fabs' unless a traditional Queensland summer cyclone decides to roll on in!

• 2 weeks later...

Cricket set for Gold Coast 2018 after Prince Tunku presentation

July 1 - Prince Tunku Imran, President of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), has claimed he is hopeful about getting cricket on the sports programme for the 2018 Commonwealth Games after a positive meeting with the International Cricket Council (ICC) Executive Board in Kuala Lumpur.

The 64-year-old Malaysian is well known by the ICC, having served on its Executive Board in two spells from 1997 to 1999 and 2001 to 2008 and admitted he was happy after delivering a formal CGF presentation to them.

"I gave the ICC Board a brief introduction to the Commonwealth Games," Prince Imran said.

"I told them that the feeling from our Annual General Meeting in St Kitts in November was that we were keen to have cricket back in the Games and, with Australia hosting in 2018, that might present an ideal opportunity.

"I hope this will be a win-win situation.

"Including cricket within the Commonwealth Games would present an opportunity to showcase the sport not just to a new audience, but to other sports administrators.

"Just as rugby sevens got into the Olympics after making a good impression in the Commonwealth Games; so could cricket.

"But the greatest benefit of inclusion is not commercial; it is about the globalisation of the game.

"I believe inclusion within the Commonwealth Games would be particularly beneficial for the development of the women's game.

"It would provide a high-profile tournament for them to take part in."

The ICC are now set to investigate the costs and benefits of including cricket in the Commonwealth Games, with the CGF likely to issue a formal response at the next ICC Executive Board meeting in November.

There are still difficulties involved given there is a congested calendar in cricket, and both the CGF and the ICC would want the best players involved.

That was the case at the Kuala Lumpur 1998 Commonwealth Games, the last and only time cricket appeared in the event, when Australia fielded a star-studded team, featuring the likes of Steve Waugh (pictured above, right), which was beaten in the final by a South Africa side that included Shaun Pollock (pictured above, left), Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher.

"We understand that the cricket schedule is very busy and selection, of course, is the prerogative of the Board," said Prince Imran.

"We would understand if the players selected were the best available but I am sure that the players would like to participate.

"Shaun Pollock and Steve Waugh both appeared in the Games in 1998 while Sir Viv Richards was there as team manager of the Antigua side.

"I know they all enjoyed and valued the experience."

Insidethegames

most of the mining camps in Queensland are dongas guess thats where he got the term from. I also agree no good for a games village have stayed in better backpackers then some dongas i know of

• 1 month later...

Academic warns against 'no-frills' Commonwealth Games

An American professor of sports management says the Queensland Government should reconsider its no-frills approach to hosting the Commonwealth Games.

The Minister overseeing the 2018 event on the Gold Coast, Jann Stuckey, says she will be looking at ways to reduce costs.

Ms Stuckey has the support of the Commonwealth Games Federation, which says there is no need to host a "Rolls Royce games".

However, Dr Mark Rosentraub from the University of Michigan says if that is the case, Queensland should never have bid for the event.

"If you make the decision to host the games, one has to chart the activity to produce a desired return," he said.

"If one is to say we're going to host it, no-frills, nothing to accomplish, then it begs the question, why even do it?"

He says the Government should instead be looking at the opportunities the games will provide.

"So that after the games are over, rather than people congratulating themselves for being financially responsible - which they should be - it should be something that becomes a real legacy for the region," he said.

"It is the upper tier of the pre-Olympic events and to host it and not capitalise on it is a missed opportunity."

ABC

Tend to agree with this. When bidding, the message was all about the wonderful lifestyle and climate in a resort area of a great sporting nation. NOT - we'll show you how to do a cheap no-frills games. As this academic said, why bid if the plan is to do it on the cheap, and thus minimise any returns or legacy?

Still, I expect the tune will change as the games get closer and Queensland realises being tight-arsed may not be the type of image it wants to promote.

Similar to the message Madrid's trying to run with for 2020. Which again begs the question which our mod Rob posed in one of his podcasts - why would the IOC have confidence Madrid can deliver what's needed for a full games, when they're not prepared to commit the type of resources to effectively mount a bid campaign?

• 4 weeks later...

Cash clash sinks Pan Pacs hopes

THE Gold Coast has lost the 2014 Pan Pacific swimming championships because of an ugly brawl between Games Minister Jann Stuckey and Mayor Tom Tate.

The Bulletin has learnt the State Government, which was to fund the $38 million upgrade of the Southport pool for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, had recently asked the council to foot the initial bill, with the money to be repaid at a later date.

This secret deal would have allowed the swimming championships, attracting 300 of the world's best swimmers and pumping an estimated $2 million into the city's economy, to be hosted at Southport rather than Brisbane's ageing Chandler complex.

But a Government source confirmed councillors were wary because the Government would not give a written guarantee to pay back the money.

When approached to comment yesterday, Cr Tate said: "I will be writing to the Minister for the Commonwealth Games (Jann Stuckey).

"We were happy to build it, which is around $38 million, and after finishing building and the Pan Pacs, they can pay us back. There's around $5 million in interest. They wrote (back) to me -- they have selective deafness -- and said that we (the council) will build it and they won't pay us back.

"I'm about to write back (tomorrow to Stuckey) and say: 'Are you nuts? We don't want the Pan Pacs that much.'

"I was trying to help. They're being greedy, trying to do a money grab. The deal is off the table. The games in Chandler -- it will look like a cesspit."

Ms Stuckey said her personal preference as a "proud Gold Coast resident" was for the championships to be hosted at Southport. But the construction timetables needed to be feasible and "the financials must stack up".

In a statement released late yesterday, she added: "The Mayor has been asked to commit to this project as part of the GCCC's commitment to the Commonwealth Games and we are awaiting his reply."

Ms Stuckey said the Government, in May, had started on design work on the planned Southport Aquatic Centre to fully assess the feasibility of the Gold Coast hosting the championships.

"A decision will be taken later this year," she said.

Ms Stuckey confirmed the cost would be $38 million for capital works but additional seating, a scoreboard and timing systems could lead to "significant additional costs".

Government sources suggest the council could face a bill of $52 million if it funds the pool centre upgrade.

Southport MP Rob Molhoek did not return calls yesterday but Gaven MP Alex Douglas indicated LNP representatives on the Coast were concerned about the cost of the centre.

"I know (Minister) Jann (Stuckey) would love to have something on the Gold Coast -- we all would," Dr Douglas said.

"However, when 4000 people in the health system have lost their jobs, you couldn't go ahead and spend that amount of money on a swimming pool for an event when you have a perfectly good pool in Brisbane.

"At this point in time it would be very hard to argue. It's extremely hard to justify spending money we don't have at the moment. It must be gradually built up."

Gold Coast Bulletin

Jeezus, this whole Campbell Newman led slash and burn cost cutting is starting to get embarassing!

Queensland ought to tread very carefully with how it carries the 2018 Commonwealth Games, because there is a binery comparison - Melbourne 2006. The Melbourne Games were big, cultural, bold, had an AMAZING atmosphere and ran like clockwork. What Queensland and the Gold Coast plate up in 2018 will be no doubt compared to 2006. I am drawing this connection, as these are the two states that have hinted a future Olympic bid , and if they're serious, these two events are more or less demonstrations of what you'd expect - even if we're talking about bids in the late 2030's/40's. I already have it from a good university friend up in Brisbane at the moment that there are brewing fears that despite the new GC LRT network, the 2018 Games might face some transportation issues in the coming years. The Games are not exactly compact, either. The Gold Coast is quite a spread out city, despite its dense coastline.

That is the one thing that could potentially trip up any future Olympic bid from Queensland - it's an extremely conservative place, both socially and economically, and the type of politics played by the LNP would be worrying for any bidding/organising committee.

Edited by greenandblue

• 2 weeks later...

Channel 7 did a special report in remembrance of the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane (last time Queensland hosted the games), with 2018 days to go until the opening ceremony. They also mentioned that both the velodrome and shooting range venues of 1982 will be recycled and reused for the 2018 edition

• 4 weeks later...

Pacific fair undergoing massive renovations!!!!!!!!!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/pacific-fair-to-undergo-580-million-facelift-aiming-to-rank-among-top-three-super-regional-centres/story-fn7kjcme-1226503206695

206205-pacific-fair-3.jpg

An artist's impression of Pacific Fair after its redevelopment. Source: Supplied

THE Gold Coast's tired Pacific Fair shopping centre is to undergo an $580 million facelift after it changed ownership in a deal worth $371.2 million.

Once complete, the centre will house two full-line department stores, two supermarkets, three discount department stores, luxury and high street fashion, restaurants and bars.

There will also be an outdoor leisure and entertainment precinct and about 400 speciality stores.

The redevelopment by new owners AMP Capital Shopping Centres will add an extra 42,700sq m of retail space to the existing centre.

206211-pacific-fair-2.jpg

An artist's impression of Pacific Fair after its redevelopment.

AMP Capital Shopping Centres managing director Bryan Hynes said the changes should position Pacific Fair as one of Australia's top three super-regional centres.

It is hoped the work will be finished by 2016 - well in time for the Gold Coast's Commonwealth Games in 2018.

Mr Hynes said it would create 1500 construction jobs and 950 permanent retail jobs on completion.

Games at risk if sports move to Brisbane

THE Gold Coast could be stripped of the 2018 Commonwealth Games if the cash-strapped Newman Government and city council ignore protocol for the massive event and shift more sports to Brisbane.

However embattled Commonwealth Games Minister Jann Stuckey remains silent about the possibility of losing the event and talks about certain sports shifting to Brisbane in 2018.

The Gold Coast was chosen by the Commonwealth Games Federation last year to host the Games based on a "bid book" -- a legally binding document compiled by a city's bid team outlining where each event and sport will be held.

Council sources have confirmed there has been talk at city hall about the prospect of events for the Games being moved to the capital in a bid to lower costs.

A Newman Government insider with close ties to the original bid said the Commonwealth Games Federation had the power to strip the city of the Games entirely if the terms agreed to in the bid book were breached.

"The whole thing was sold on the basis that these are the venues, this is where the Games Village will be, this is the pool," he said.

But the source said because Sri Lanka was the only other country to bid for the Games, the lack of competition could embolden the Government towards moving events.

"The problem is the Commonwealth Games could take their bat and ball and go home if there was a viable option. But I'm not sure Hambantota is a viable alternative," he said.

When questioned about it, council's community and cultural development boss Cr Bob La Castra admitted there was some "bluff and bluster" about moving some events to Brisbane.

"We were awarded the Games on what we put in the bid book. If they try to move it we could lose the whole thing," he said. "It's not the Brisbane Games, it's a Gold Coast Games. If we start changing it they might say all bets are off."

Ms Stuckey would only say the Government's position had not changed.

Two weeks ago Ms Stuckey issued a carefully worded joint statement with Gold Coast Commonwealth Games committee boss Nigel Chamier denying changes to venues were being discussed and stating that the bid book was legally binding.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said he would fight to keep events on the Gold Coast. "I'm sticking to the bid book," he said.

"Whatever we decide on I will be doing everything I can to hold those events on the Gold Coast. It's the Gold Coast Games after all."

Track cycling and shooting events were included in the original bid as being in Brisbane, and some preliminary basketball rounds in Cairns and Townsville.

Gold Coast Bulletin

Hope the Newman govt heeds this warning - I've been uneasy as to how much a State political football the games have been becoming.

I await our favourite Nova Scotian to comment on how Abuja is ready and waiting to pick them up if offered.

Edited by Sir Rols

Stripped and moved to Hambantota or Brisbane?

At this point hates me to say it but Hambantota should have been selected, considering the venues will all be built before 2018 (for the Asian youth Games and South Asian Games).

Edited by intoronto1125

If Hambantota IS gonna be ready in time, then thy might be a great chance for 2022 or 2026. Still think it would have been too big a risk to award them 2018.

But, yeah, I've been disappointed by the way GC's organisation has been so far.

It should have been Auckland preparing to host, IMO.

• Like 1

If Hambantota IS gonna be ready in time, then thy might be a great chance for 2022 or 2026. Still think it would have been too big a risk to award them 2018.

So is it going to be Brisbane 2018?