Next European city to host

Now that London has been selected to host the 2012 Olympics, who do you think will be the next European city to host.  I think the frontrunner for another European games will be Rome.  Rome would have almost certainly been in the thick of 2012 if not for The Winter Olympics in Turin next year.  Rome last bid for the 2004 Olympics so I think the time, say in 2024, will be ripe for a Rome bid.  Paris I'm sure will be back but how many times can they keep bidding.  Then there's Germany.  Will Germany put forth Berlin?  Berlin would be serious competition to either Rome or Paris.  I also wouldn't rule out bids from Moscow or Madrid.  Longshots may include Stockholm, Lisbon, or a city out of Eastern Europe like Prague or Warsaw.

If we assume that 2016 wont be in Europe (and until the candidate cities are lodged who knows what the scenario will be), then the earliest opportunity would be 2020. That's 14 years after Torino, so Rome and CONI would certainly have a strong heritage and base of support to promote a Rome games. Madrid would be up there, if only because they could sit back after their strong showing in the 2012 race, develop and refine the procedures they ran with this time, plus put more distance on the 92 Games. Hamburg and Berlin could battle it out for 2020 from Germany, and who's to say that Berlin may miss out in favour of their northern rival.

My rankings would be:

A Grade Chances: Rome, Hamburg, Berlin, Madrid

B Grade: Paris (if it decided not to wait for 2024), Prague, Budapest, Moscow

C Grade: Warsaw, Seville, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm

D Grade: Milan, Stuttgart, Sofia, Brussels, Amsterdam, Lisbon

Eusebius, Are your grades (A-D) your assesment of their chances for bidding, or their chances for winning a bid?

Winning primarily, but in most cases bidding as well. For example, I can definitely see Warsaw looking to bid in 2020 and perhaps winning as well at the time, but Paris would have a far more likely chance on both counts. Hamburg and Berlin have A grade chances of bidding, because they'll have to do that domestically first, and I'm sure that either city could win the next European games.

And as for those cities (excluding ones who have already hosted games) who maybe sniffing round a bid or dreaming of one, and who have no chance of hosting a 2020 games:

Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow (UK)

Lille, Lyon, Boulogne (France)

Leipzig, Dortmund, Chemnitz (Germany)

Milan, Naples, Florence (Italy)

Zagreb (Croatia)

Belgrade (Serbia & Montenegro)

Thessaloniki (Greece)

Bucharest (Rumania)

Kiev (Ukraine)

Sofia (Bulgaria)

Paris... if God would, yes

Rome... certainly the most beautiful scenario in Europe

Berlin... very strong bid  

Prague... one of my favourite cities  :love:

Madrid... thanks to Samaranch and son..

Stockolm... too cold for the summer games

Amsterdam... interesting..

Moscow... the bigger question mark

your a dumba$$

the current temperature in Stockholm is 27 degrees celcius, and the losest it goes is 25 and goes as high as 29, their temps are the same as cities like Toronto and Montreal and London

your a dumba$$

the current temperature in Stockholm is 27 degrees celcius, and the losest it goes is 25 and goes as high as 29, their temps are the same as cities like Toronto and Montreal and London

obviously I was joking Faster  :hmm:

If Paris were to bid again do you think they'd still go with the SdF? How much of their bid would stay the same as the 2012 bid?

I'm asking because there seem to be two main reasons for Paris' unexpected defeat IMHO:

1) Their lobbying and general presentation to the IOC were too low key, especially when compared to London.

2) London had an Olympic Park with a strong legacy.

If Paris see the first reason as the key factor then I could see them coming back with a similar bid (if they don't feel losing this time was too much of a body blow) to 2012 but a more agressive style. If however, they think it has more to do with the second reason then would there be a possibilty of a Paris Olympic park?

Very hypothetical questions I realise and Parisians probably won't want anything to do with the Olympics for a while at least. But interesting nonetheless.

No; they'll have to massively renovate SdeF.

I have a theory.  If NYC's first West Side stadium stayed in the books, I think Paris would've won the shooting match.  NYC's and London's sexy stadia would've cancelled each other; the IOC would've gone into an "we don't need a new, expensive stadium," mindset; and given it to Paris.  So, in a way, NYC's stadium stumble benefitted London.

Interesting analysis, and possibly it would have meant a Madrid exit before New York, but I've been looking at the voting stats and I still think it would have gone to that two-horse race.

St. Petersburg?  They couldn't even crack the shortlist for 2004.  Moscow for all its troubles at least made it to the shortlist despite getting voted off in the first round.  Hell, they nearly edged out New York.  I think the Russians stick with Moscow although I admit St. Pete would be good place for the Games.  I'm still gonna stick with Rome as the next European host after London.  In a field that could include Paris, Rome, and Berlin I just don't think St. Petersburg measures up.

Berlin, Rome, Madrid, and a random Slavic city sound like the ones with the biggest chance of winning. Perhaps by 2020 the Germans will move after the 2012 disaster and the failed Berlin bid of 2000. Rome, also hit by the defeat of 2004, could be beneffited. In the other hand, Madrid might use some of the experience of the 2012 to become a favorite. I don't think Paris will bid until 2024, not after such election against them...

If Paris were to bid again do you think they'd still go with the SdF? How much of their bid would stay the same as the 2012 bid?

I'm asking because there seem to be two main reasons for Paris' unexpected defeat IMHO:

1) Their lobbying and general presentation to the IOC were too low key, especially when compared to London.

2) London had an Olympic Park with a strong legacy.

If Paris see the first reason as the key factor then I could see them coming back with a similar bid (if they don't feel losing this time was too much of a body blow) to 2012 but a more agressive style. If however, they think it has more to do with the second reason then would there be a possibilty of a Paris Olympic park?

Very hypothetical questions I realise and Parisians probably won't want anything to do with the Olympics for a while at least. But interesting nonetheless.

if they want to build a whole new set of venues why not Maseille? but then again its too small with only 800,000

That is France's principle problem unlike Germany, Italy, USA, Canada, UK, Japan and China they have no second city to host.

St. Petersburg?  They couldn't even crack the shortlist for 2004.  Moscow for all its troubles at least made it to the shortlist despite getting voted off in the first round.  Hell, they nearly edged out New York.  I think the Russians stick with Moscow although I admit St. Pete would be good place for the Games.  I'm still gonna stick with Rome as the next European host after London.  In a field that could include Paris, Rome, and Berlin I just don't think St. Petersburg measures up.

Uh, that city did make the shortlist for 2004.

I think it's likely that it'll be Paris but only if 2014 WOG aren't won by France. Then it will be likely Madrid if it bids, of course. If not, then Germany, most likely Berlin. Then... There chance for the little Prague I'd really love to see as an olmypic city  :D

My goodness,

I think we would be looking at 2020 or 2024 at the earliest for another european Summer Games now that London has won 2012.  Paris has said they won't bid for quite some time again after their 2012 defeat....yeah right.

I would love to see another european showdown with lots of capitals bidding. Let's look at the possibilities....Eastern and western Europe

Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Brussels, Helsinki, Madrid.

Let us not forget a city in Germany (I hope Berllin or Munich)

Lisbon is looking at hosting soon too.

Can you tell me some others in the mix?

Good luck to all

I've just come back from Berlin and I loved the city and its people a lot so I think it would be great seen Berlin hosting the games soon.

Europe will have some chances to win in 2020 and I'm sure the scenario will be very different to guess which European city could host, the ones with more chances IMO: Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome or Istanbul.

Isn't Rome 2020 very early after Turin 2006??

Madrid, Berlin/Hamburg, Paris and Rome will be the next European hosts, I think.

Archived