IOC launches 2018 Youth Olympic Games bid
As reported by GamesBids.com in August, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has now officially launched the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games bid.
The IOC has begun accepting nominations from national Olympic committees, and will continue to do so until the deadline on March 1, 2012.
Formal applications and documents are due October 15, 2012 and the final election will be June, 2013 in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The inaugeral Summer Youth Olympics were held in Singapore in 2010 and are scheduled to be staged again in Nanjing, China in 2014.
Interest in bidding for the Games has already been expressed from Nigeria, Colombia, Monterrey in Mexico and Dubai.
Key Dates (Source: IOC)
- 1 March 2012: NOCs to inform the IOC of the name of a YOG Candidate City
- 15 March 2012: Signature of YOG Candidature Procedure
- 15 October 2012: Submission of YOG Candidature File and other documents
- October – December 2012: Examination of replies by IOC and experts
- January 2013: Shortlist of YOG Candidate Cities by the IOC Executive Board
- January – February 2013: Additional questions to shortlisted Candidate Cities
- March 2013: Video conferences between the bid committees and the IOC Evaluation Commission
- May 2013: Report by the IOC Evaluation Commission
- June 2013: Election of the host city of the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018 in Lausanne during the 2020 IOC members’ information briefing.Write or read comments about this article
- Should Queenstown Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics?
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences
- Tokyo 2020 Bid Is "Very Healthy"
- Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor
- GB Digest