Lake Tahoe Pitched For 2022 Winter Olympics
A group of local business and civic leaders is working on a pitch to bring the 2022 Winter Olympic Games to Lake Tahoe.
The Sacramento Bee reports that the California Winter Games Committee will announce plans Tuesday in Sacramento to explore ways to bring the Games to the Sierra for the first time since the 1960 Squaw Valley Games.
The committee says hosting the Olympic Games would boost the local and state economy, and is emphasizing the Olympic Games' potential as a job engine, with the massive ramp-up needed to turn Lake Tahoe and the surrounding area into an Olympic stage.
State Senator Ted Gaines said Monday, "an Olympics would draw attention to California on a worldwide basis. We have a number of ski resorts around the lake in Placer and El Dorado counties. We have a lot of infrastructure in place".Write or read comments about this article
- Sochi 2014 Medals Presented At SportAccord
- BidIndex: Istanbul Maintains Narrow Lead in 2020 Olympic Bid Index
- New Wrestling Rules To Save Olympic Wrestling
- Ser Miang Ng Wants Games in Africa, Member Visits to Bid Cities Reviewed
- London Believes Istanbul Leading 2020 Olympic Bid Race